Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Wonderland + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 12/08/17 at 10:08 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 12/09/17 at 2:49 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 35-70 @ 48 mm
f 20 @ 1/50 sec.
ISO 800
cable release & tripod
Acadia NP, ME

This image is of another of the lesser known and lighter trafficked areas of Acadia that we have been spending more time in. The area is aptly named as the lush reds of the blueberry bush come alive in the fall and intermingle with the vibrant greens of the bog. The day was just about perfect with the overcast sky acting like a big reflector. There was a bit of wind so I had to use ISO 800.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/09/17 at 05:28 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I like how the verticals in the top half seem to anchor the riot of colours in this scene. Two points I suggest looking at :
1. Cropping some of the bottom, around 1/3 the way up to exclude criss cross foliage bottom centre.
2. Introducing some extra clarity or structure to the foreground for more definition, the red leaves seem to 'clump' together and going for more clarity in the front gives a better sense of visual depth as it recedes to softness in the background.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/09/17 at 09:06 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Beautiful mix of colors which helps simplifies the business of the many trees and bushes.  The green boarder at the top help frame this nicely.  The image feels a little warm on the white balance, but this may have been your intension.  If sun were back lighting the scene, I could see going that direction but with clouds, a cooler WB might actually help the reds pop and separate them from the greens of the trees.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/09/17 at 09:50 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, you've done a great job capturing the subtle beauty of one of my favorite locations in Acadia. This tells a nice story about the environment of coastal Maine. When I last visited this spot four years ago, the Park Service had it roped off, if this is a recent photo, can I ask if that is still the case?

I think a slight crop off the bottom would help (but keep all of the pine in the lower left). I agree with Harry that the white balance here feels a tad too warm. And I might even consider slightly shifting the hue of the pines to more green and less yellow, although a cooler color balance might help that anyway.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Allen Brooks on 12/09/17 at 11:20 am EST    
Registered on 07/27/11, 262 Posts, 2597 Comments

A nice scene with the contrasting colors.  This might pop more if the trees were more green (like those in the left lower corner) and less yellow.  Agree with seeing how this would look with increased clarity.

Allen Brooks
Oregon

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Allen Brooks Gallery of Allen Brooks

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/09/17 at 12:24 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I like this a lot, ED.  What an explosion of color.  This has a wonderful Christmas feel with the reds and greens.  I think the greens could be more green, but it's fine as presented.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/09/17 at 2:48 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks so much for your input everyone; always appreciated. Here is a repost with some additional clarity and I pushed the WB down to 4500 K to address the warm tint. I could not find a crop of some of the bottom that looked right to me, but I have a couple of others comps which would address that suggestion which I will post next.

Ed: This was taken this past October. The area was not roped off by the NPS as of our visit although I can understand their reason for doing it. It is a sensitive area and some people just tromp through like a bull in a china shop.

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/09/17 at 6:26 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Looks like a big improvement to me.  Nicely done!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/09/17 at 6:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I agree that the repost is a significant improvement. The reds were too strong in the original.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 12/09/17 at 9:20 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

You did a great job in this hard to photograph location. Agree that there's not a satisfying crop from the bottom. The branches don't bother me anyway. Different strokes I guess, but I actually like the color balance of the original better.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/10/17 at 11:14 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, The repost has a more natural look that I prefer here. At first I though it looked a bit flat compared to the first post but after viewing the larger version of it I like what you did. cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/10/17 at 2:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

Wonderful job isolating this section.  Haven't seen an image of this before and I'm really liking the combo of greens and reds here, and especially the green saplings popping are really appealing to me.

Comparing the two versions side in the larger views I can really see how the first was too warm. Honestly though, I think there's something in between the two versions that might be the sweet spot.  The color balance in the repost looks good, although I might be tempted to boost those reds back up a bit.  Adjusting the clarity helped I think.

Not sure if this is a viable crop, but I was thinking cropping up from the bottom to remove the brighter green branch coming in from the bottom.  But you can't come up too far otherwise you cut in the base of the tree on the left. If you crop just enough to cover the horizontal portion of that intruding branch at the bottom.... but that leaves an even more distracting piece that I suppose could be content-aware cloned away. But that might not be something you would want to do.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/10/17 at 3:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed I like the color balance of the repost much more than the original. I'm glad to hear that Wonderland wasn't permanently closed off by the NPS, this location is one of the true gems of Acadia in fall. On a foggy day, this place is truly a wonderland.

I think the cropping is tough on this one, I'm good with your re-post..

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership