Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

In Memory...
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 12/07/17 at 7:32 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 12/07/17 at 7:35 pm EST

Just a little over a month before our visit to Yosemite Valley, there was a significant rock fall off the east buttress of El Capitan. As a result of this rock fall a climber from England was tragically killed (although he was not climbing at the time.)  The primary reason I captured this was simply to record the evidence of the rock fall.  No way to really judge scale here, but the NPS estimated:
"The irregular "sheet" of rock that fell is estimated to be 130 feet tall, 65 feet wide, and 3-10 feet thick."  The crescent shaped lighter area is that piece of El Capitan that came crashing down. You can read more here.

What may prove interesting next February is that the sheet of granite that slipped away is pretty much directly below where Horsetail falls flows; so there may be whole new set of images we'll get bombarded with this year.  I may even have to join in since I haven't tried photographing the natural firefall for a good 10 years or more.

So in this case I used El Cap and the new crescent granite scar as a backdrop for another set of Alder trees.  More of a record shot for me, but wanted to share the story.

Thanks for any comments, critiques or suggestions!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/07/17 at 8:35 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Busy to look at, but the soothing color tones are easy on the eyes.  The larger view much better.  The detailed trees blend nicely into the softer rock face.  Must have something to see and hear to see that amount of rock fall.  The light crescent almost looks like a waterfall tumbling down.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 12/07/17 at 9:52 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

I like the very fine lines of the twigs and branches. The off white resin tone of color adds quite a lot giving very haunting feel to the image, Lon.. most appropriate for the sad event it depicts.  

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/08/17 at 12:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I have looked at this a few times, Lon, and it just feels too busy to me. While I like the tones and the whispy branches, I think this would have worked better if there was light on the trees.

Actually, the rockfall occurred to the east (right) of where Horsetail Falls drops off the wall. The slab that peeled is closer to the East Buttress of El Cap.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/08/17 at 2:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I'll have to agree with the busy comments. I think it's due to the fact that the background stone has so much texture. However, much of the texture is up and down so there is a rhythm to all of it. I find the upper part of image to be less busy and work for me in color as well. It seems to get busier as you work down. I also find that the least sharpest version on the comment page to work best for me. I'm not entirely sure why.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/08/17 at 11:08 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This may be a record shot, but I find myself thoroughly enjoying this busy scene, Lon. The details in the large version are very striking and the love the cool silver and grey tones of the alders and the scared rock face of El Cap. Tragic story about the climber.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/09/17 at 01:40 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Documentary as it is, it still shows that a skilled photographer cannot just take a documentary image.  I guarantee you could confiscate every camera from the tourists in Yosemite and you will not find an image like this on any of them.  If you wanted a true documentary shot, you would have shot the scar by itself.  So I'm going to categorize this as artful documentation, as would be expected from an artist. I rest my case..... 

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/09/17 at 05:54 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Works for me as a documentary image Lon but the busy patchy background against the complicated network of branches is difficult for me to get into.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/09/17 at 08:07 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Lon, this is a busy image, but I like the muted tones of this scene. I really like what is going on in the tones and colors of the rock face, but the alders prevent my eye from getting too far into that part of the scene. You have two subjects here, I wish I could see more of the rock face, with the alders as more of a complementary element. The alder furthest to the right is okay with me, it's the left side of the tree part of the image that feels too busy to me.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/09/17 at 1:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the honest comments folks.  Can't say I disagree.  As I mentioned, more of a record shot for the moment.

Preston - I think you're right about the location of Horsetail falls.  Thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership