Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Changing Tides +2vts
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 12/06/17 at 3:05 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 12/07/17 at 1:36 pm EST

Thank you for your comments on the Alaska intimate. It was fun to see how people would react to a more personal image.

This image was taken Baja California on the Sea of Cortez. I was fortunate that day in that the best scene occurred at the best time of day. Everything changed very quickly in about half an hour. I made about 4 compositions and it was over. Even during that period of time the light was better during some periods than others. I remember rushing before the sun lifted off those mountains. This was taken about 2 years ago but just processed last night. I posted something similar to this back then but this, I feel, is a better image. Comments and criticism is welcome.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/06/17 at 6:43 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 12/06/17 at 6:47 pm EST

Igor, I'm loving this one! What a great looking landscape scene and I'm really glad you rushed to get it while the sun was still on the mountains. Wouldn't be quite the same without it. The blue tones are wonderful and very appealing to me. This comp with all the foreground ripples throughout the sand adds so much interest and I'm really enjoying that look. I never realized there was so much difference in detail by clicking on the black arrow instead of just clicking on the image for a larger view until I read one of your recent comments. At least it sure seems to make a difference when I view them that way or is it just me...

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/06/17 at 8:01 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Just love all of the ripples leading to the peaks. Essentially blues and shades of yellow, the mix works well together for me.  Not just if you were able in the short time you had, but  a tighter view of the ripples mixed with the mountain reflection might be interesting as well.  I can see a hint of this mid ground, but looks like it has some great potential for a subject in itself.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 12/06/17 at 10:32 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

Igor, I love those low tide sand ripples, the water color, and the light on the background ridge.  Not sure where in Baja this was taken, but reminds me of the extreme tides around San Felipe that I experienced a number of years ago.  Very effective image.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/06/17 at 11:05 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Gorgeous work, Igor. I love the light across the water, but what I find really intriguing is the way the ripples in the sand channel me back to the BG mountains and the warm light along their peaks. I hate to mention it because no one else did, but the sky looks a touch cyan to me. Either way this is wonderful.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/07/17 at 02:47 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I think Harry is on to something here, Igor.  My favorite part of the image is the metallic sand ripples.  I sure hope you had time to do some abstract work.  I like this as presented as well. To me this image is about the expansiveness of the fore leading to the lit mountains.  I think I would clone the bits of debris and let the smoothness of the sand stand uninterrupted.  There is a sensor spot  just above the right edge of the mountain.  It also seems a little under exposed, but I do like the understated colors.  Again, the fore ripples are killer.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/07/17 at 03:50 am EST    

I don't have any pure abstracts. I have a tighter view of this subject which I took later but I don't like it as much anymore. I find it harsh, almost brutal. It's too underexposed for my taste and the shadows can't be recovered effectively. Two years ago I thought it was pretty good but now it bores me. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/07/17 at 08:10 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The mass of long thin lines leading from the frame to the distant mountains are a great effect, Igor.  I much prefer the original post with all those leading lines.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/07/17 at 10:54 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Nicely done, the contrast of the warm and cool tones works well here. I agree with Harry, the ripples in the sand are the most interesting element within the scene,I think you should compose to maximize their impact. As an alternate composition, I would suggest trying this as a vertical crop, leaving all of the ripples as presented in the horizontal. I would center this vertical crop around the more prominent peak that is about one third of the way from the left in the horizontal.I think a vertical composition would impart more of a sense of depth as well. The mountains are very nice, and I can see why you shot this as a horizontal, but I think a vertical would really draw more attention to the ripples.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/07/17 at 12:14 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 12/07/17 at 12:26 pm EST

Thank you for the suggestion of going vertical, Ed, and emphasizing the ripples more. I chose slightly more to the right instead and I cropped a bit off the sky.  I would be interested in people's preference. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/07/17 at 12:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

At least for me, the original is best - it has everything.  Excellent and very engaging near/far composition.  The horizontal frame is perfectly suited for the beautifully lit mountains, and the vertical lines of the ripples are the perfect lead-in for the viewer.  I also like the transition of hues in the sky. (although for personal tasted the cyan could be brought down a tad, minor, minor.)

The vertical is good too, but not as effective as the original post. For this one I would crop in a little more from the right just to eliminate the side of the right side mountain that is catching the light.  The tighter version could work I think, but I think the exposure needs to be raised and a little pop given to the colors - even warming up the light on the mountains. 

First impressions are usually the best and right ones, beautifully captured and presented.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/07/17 at 1:32 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 12/07/17 at 1:35 pm EST

Thanks for your suggestions, Lon. I applied most of them to the vertical and there was a marked improvement. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. So, I applied the same changes to the horizontal. I was surprised that to me it had lost some of it's genuinesness. It starts to look tawdry, contrived somehow. Now I know that I can subconsciously get attached to something and lose the flexibility to be open. So I will give it more time.

PS There is little I can do with the cyan in the sky as this is how the sky looks in baja near sunset. Reduce the saturation and there is no blue to replace it with (except in the corner). You just get a paler sky.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/07/17 at 2:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Igor, the section of mountains you included in your vertical re-post was my second choice for a cropping. I think the ripples are the nicest / strongest in the area you chose. My personal preference would be to have the tallest section of mountain dead center in the vertical crop, for symmetry purposes. In your vertical crop, the mountains get lower from left to right. But your vertical treatment is  fine as presented.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/07/17 at 3:00 pm EST    

Ed. There were several reasons why I chose this crop over your suggested one:

1. I wanted more detail in the water in that middle layer. I didn't want pure sky reflection.
2. I liked that break in the ripples at the bottom rather than all unbroken lines. 
3. The ripples look better on the right side of image than left due to lighting.
4. I liked the ripples converging from the lower two corners.

The distant peaks looked better in your suggested crop. It was a compromise, as it always is in these compositions. To be honest, I didn't put a lot of time into the vertical composition but I had thought of the various pros and cons of the horizontal so I knew where to go.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/07/17 at 6:38 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Original post all the way for me...cool None of the others come close (IMO) to the wonderful look and feel of the first one. Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/08/17 at 12:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

After looking at the original and the reposts, I vote for the original. It has a grandness and a variety of textures and color that truly show the mood of the day.. The sand ripples really make this work.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership