Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Underlying
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 12/05/17 at 10:45 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Post last edited by gary phillips on 12/05/17 at 10:48 pm EST

Another image from a foggy morning in Central Utah.  I've got a few more processed to run by you guys. 

iso 100, 70-200 @ 200mm, f/8, 1/50

Better large.

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated  and very helpful.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/06/17 at 01:14 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This needs to be seen large to get an accurate view of this image. I was just ready to comment on how I would raise the whites in the fog a bit and add contrast to the more distant ridges and then I find it's all there in the largest of versions (with the arrow). This sort of reminded me of AA's image of Sonoma I had seen years ago. Well done as usual but not your most creative vision.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/06/17 at 09:58 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

You had quite the view point here, Gary, it looks like you were in an airplane.  The lines of ridges and valleys filled with fog look great.  The extra visibility of the drainage and ridge along the bottom really complete the story.  The details in the larger view are wonderful.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/06/17 at 11:05 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, The largest detailed view is absolutely wonderful. Great comp, love the layers and excellent b&w processing as always from you. The difference by clicking the black arrow rather than on the image for the largest version really shows with this one. Really nice work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/06/17 at 7:35 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

You have quite a wonderful series of these badlands. Mesmerizing and hypnotic are words that come to mind when I view it.  Gotta see the large one to really appreciate the fine details.  The fog is such a great compositional element that helps frame and further simplify the images.  My wife and I were out vacationing nearby and i hoped to see these places in person, but I got a bit lost in some canyon in Capital Reef so never made it over there.  I'll be back as Arnold would say.  Your shots are so unique and the BW treatment quite soothing.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paula LeVay on 12/06/17 at 10:14 pm EST    
Registered on 07/29/16, 66 Posts, 270 Comments

Gary, you are so right about this landscape coming to life at daybreak.  I especially like the contrast of well-defined foreground against a background softened by the waves of fog.  Very nice!

Paula Levay
Beach City, Texas
http://www.storiedpixels.com

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paula LeVay Gallery of Paula LeVay

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 12/06/17 at 10:27 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

Gary, this is just wonderful.  We have all seen this type of fog-ridge-fog layering, particularly in Great Smoky Mountains area, but seeing this in central Utah is just amazing.  Great opposing diagonals, texture, and light.  Excellent!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/06/17 at 11:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

All I can say is keep them coming, Gary. This has a nice sense of mystery to it. I particularly like the layering created with the ridge lines along with the fog as it swirls down the valleys between them creating some nice atmospherics. The large version does a masterful job of showcasing all the wonderful details and textures in this beauty.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 12/06/17 at 11:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

This has quite a rhythm to it...wave after wave of mountains and fog. I especially like the right lower corner, as it kind of holds everything inside the frame and nicely stops the motion. Beautiful black and white work.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/07/17 at 10:38 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Gary this is spectacular, the repetition of patterns here makes this a very high impact image. The sense of depth is just wonderful. I agree with Kathy, the strong shapes in the lower right hand corner really make the image work, and serve as a strong counterpoint to the layers of ridge lines and fog. This really does look like it is from the Smokies or the coast of California rather than from Utah. Without that fog, this image probably is nowhere near as interesting.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/07/17 at 12:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

I'm with Ed - Keep 'em coming!  What an epic morning you had.  Really just unbelievable what you were able to not on capture, but witness and experience.

Love the layers of fog and ridges seemingly going on forever; it's ethereal.

I'm gonna go against the grain as I'm torn about the bottom.  I think it's the reality of the bottom that for me diminishes ethereal and other-worldly feel to the rest of the image.  Don't get me wrong, this is spectacular as presented - I'm just being overly critical I guess. I'm not sure there is a viable crop though. Perhaps cropping out the lower ridge and just far enough to cover the small, brighter sliver near the lower right edge.  The pano format then accentuates the length of the ridges and valleys of fog.  I dunno though.

Can't wait to see what else is in store for us.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 12/08/17 at 04:33 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This is a really enchanting image. I have never seen the desert look so mysterious and inviting. In many ways it resembles the waves I see here at our local coast.

Outstanding work Gary.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/08/17 at 1:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Like Anil, I don't think I've seen the desert like this. I love the waves of fog and ridges. Your processing, as usual, is spot-on.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 12/08/17 at 2:38 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Gary, seeing the fog below and between the ridges must have been a great experience.  I could see brightening the image a little.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/09/17 at 05:59 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I could go either way with the inclusion of the bottom here. Definitely love the repeating patterns here and the effect of the fog giving separation to the layers.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/09/17 at 5:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Gorgeous. My only recommendation is to print it big. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeffrey Sipress on 12/15/17 at 7:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/17/04, 236 Posts, 1197 Comments

Very interesting image, Gary.  Enough interest to hold my attention or a while.  Nice imaging.

Jeffrey Sipress, Santa Barbara, CA    

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jeffrey Sipress Gallery of Jeffrey Sipress

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership