Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Standing at the Alder
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 12/05/17 at 5:41 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Love the play on words... ;-)  First, thank you so much for your comments and observations on my previous image. And thanks as well to Preston and Mark for chiming in on the geology.

This one here starts a series of images mostly about trees, that may last til Christmas. (Great... I know what you're thinking...) angel

Still posting in chronological order from the trip to Yosemite with Harley and Kyle a month ago - in fact this was captured exactly one month ago.  After leaving the Bridal Veil area, we made a stop at a place most noted for it's views the the Three Brother's, somewhat famous peaks on the north rim of the valley.  But in typical fashion, I find myself looking down or ahead and as hard as it is, try to keep from looking up all the time in Yosemite Valley.

Just a simple stand of Alder.  I knew and only photographed this knowing this was to become a b&w. As it is with most b&w's, it's about tones and contrasts and I knew the bare trunks against the darker woods behind might work.

I'll be curious as to your thoughts, critiques and suggestions.  Didn't do much other than run this through the Nik plugin.  I cloned out a couple distracting white leaves and also dodged and burned the grasses to give them a bit more definition.

Single image at f/11 iso 200

Thanks!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/05/17 at 11:06 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This is beautifully seen Lon.  I love how this very symmetric clump of alders is framed against the dark backdrop.  I'm torn on the dark lower right being evened out a little or darkening the rest of background to match.  If you do nothing, it's still a crazy good image. Love it.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/05/17 at 11:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

For something different I'm wondering how dropping the clarity slightly would affect this image. The reason I bring it up is because the image on the comments page started to look more interesting than the large version. I would keep the darks as is, however. Just something different to try.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 12/06/17 at 01:23 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments
Comment last edited by Peter Richter on 12/06/17 at 01:31 am EST

Lon, what makes this image special to me are the tangible details of the barks. This is indeed a "b&w scene" to me, I do not miss colors at all.

My only suggestion would be to open up the shadows  in depth of the forest at the right, I just wish to see some more details also there.

Peter

PS: it is somehow comforting to me that single shot images still work nowadays

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/06/17 at 09:53 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Lon, what a difference the large version makes.  The small one seems very flat, but in the larger version, the alders and the grass really stand out.  The symmetry of the four and their separation from the background make this very attractive.  In contrast with Peter, I'd like to see the background on the left a bit darker to let the alder branches stand out a bit more.  (Yeah, NPNer's...they're never satisfied...enlightened )

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/06/17 at 10:58 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, What a great looking b&w image. At first I though about bringing up the darkest shadows a little but then when I clicked on the black arrow in the detail box everything was right there. This is excellent when looking at the largest detailed view!! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/06/17 at 7:41 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Crisp, stark, and lots of details to engage the mind.  Really had no suggestions until I saw the comments below, and then thought maybe either bringing up the levels on th lower right to match a little more closely the lower left, or tone down the left a bit to more closely resemble the lower right.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 12/06/17 at 10:22 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

Love the simple arrangement of alders Lon.  I think the foreground grasses add a lot as well.  Nice B&W treatment.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/07/17 at 09:27 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The large version is a must see to really enjoy this "simple stand of alder" Lon. First off great eye to spot this and visualizing this as a B&W. This has such a wide range of rich tones and the details in trees and the FG grasses are mesmerizing. I look forward to seeing more of your tree images as you do them so beautifully.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/07/17 at 10:30 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Lon, this is a lovely B&W treatment of this scene, really outstanding job. The tonalities in the grass and the shadows are handled perfectly, leave the shadows just as they are. The texture in the bark looks wonderful as well. Just a simple stand of Alder, but this image has a lot of depth and character to it. Bring on the rest of your trees, I can't wait to see them.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/07/17 at 12:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  I've definitely been playing around with opening up the darker area on the right to at least bring out a little more detail.  I was wondering about that and you all confirmed, so thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/08/17 at 1:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is lovely, Lon. The tones, especially in the Alders are spot-on. I do find the dark area on the right slightly distracting, so it would be a nice exercise to see if you can bring it up a notch. The grasses add a fine sense of scale. Well done, sir!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/09/17 at 5:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

My kinda image, beautiful!!!!! Channeling your John Sexton! I would not change a thing. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 12/11/17 at 5:19 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

As usual of late, I am very tardy to the party!  I like the choice of B&W here, Lon, but would love to the color version as well.  Very elegant in it's presentation and composition.  To me, the grass is a little too bright and seems to draw my eye downward away from the true subject matter, therefore I would suggestion burning that somewhat.  Other than that, I find myself really enjoying this.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 12/12/17 at 11:05 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 12/12/17 at 11:08 am EST

A very, very elegant photo. Simple and yet so complex. I especially love the darkness of the background. 

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/14/17 at 09:06 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I like very much the image as posted, the asymmetry in light levels of the background works for me and of course the way the subjects stands out from the background is a big part of the success of the photo.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeffrey Sipress on 12/15/17 at 7:38 pm EST    
Registered on 02/17/04, 236 Posts, 1197 Comments

This is very effective and a pleasure to view.  Less is more!

Jeffrey Sipress, Santa Barbara, CA    

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jeffrey Sipress Gallery of Jeffrey Sipress

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership