Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sand Beach + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 12/05/17 at 2:04 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 12/06/17 at 10:50 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 17-35 @ 20 mm
f 20 @ 3 sec.
ISO 200
This image has grown on me so I thought I would post it and see what others thought. There was no color at sunrise due to the heavy cloud cover, but the clouds added some nice detail and texture to the sky. This was taken at Sand Beach; one of those places Mike and I frequent more often in recent years to get away from the hoards of people that seem to increase every visit to Acadia. It has been rewarding as it has allowed us to appreciate other parts of the park; in addition to capturing some different images; instead of the heavily congested areas.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/05/17 at 3:41 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Ed, this is very gently inviting, it's easy to see why it's grown on you.  It's not an eye grabber, but it is the kind of view that you can look at again and again as well as imagine being there.  I like the textures in the water and the leading line of the the thin strip of sand.  I do think that some dodging to bring out a bit of detail in the trees and the dark rocks as the end of the sand strip would add nicely.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/05/17 at 5:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, I too can see why this has grown on you. It is great shoreline view and does seem to have the feel of a bit more remote place. The 3 second exposure worked well and the heavy cloud cover made for a nice mood to the overall scene. A little dodging as Mark mentioned would probably work nice on this and it doesn't need much. I'm enjoying the mood you captured!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/05/17 at 5:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

A quiet image with a somber mood given the soft light and minimal colors.  And just because there is no glorious sunrise/sunset, doesn't mean we can't capture the beauty of the moment.  Like Mark, I like the texture of the water on the beach and especially as that texture carries out in to the surf and sea.  I know not everyone likes this effect, but I do.  I think these oceanside seascapes are difficult to compose given the angles of looking up/down a shoreline - but you've done very well to compose this. For me, the primary subject is the surf and sand and so I could see cropping some of the sky out, but that's really an after thought.

I could also see squeezing some detail out of the dark areas in the rock and trees, but that's minor.

Nicely seen and crafted.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/05/17 at 5:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

My favorite part of this image is the wedge of cliffs and the trees leaning to the right. It's almost as though there is an overwhelming force from the left that is bent on destruction. The shape of the wedge together with the trees on a stormy day tells a wonderful story full of emotion. I would build a composition around that idea. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/05/17 at 11:31 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I like this Ed.  The curve of the shoreline and the detail in the large view are excellent.  I would clone that little wedge of land, mid left and there may be a dust bunny hiding just below the wedge. This has a quietness to it in my mind.  Very nice.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/06/17 at 7:52 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

With the lack of color, I might try a BW conversion to create a moody image using this as a blueprint.  Bumping of sat. just would look right with the type of lighting you had and might looked forced, so I appreciate your decision to present as is.  Your take on Acadia reminded be of my experience at boulder beach which I'll post.  While I have nothing to compare the park's visitation with, it seems this was a big national park year in general from friends I have spoken with.  Busy, busy, busy!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/06/17 at 10:49 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions everyone. Here is a repost incorporating those suggestions: a little dodging of the rocks and trees on the left, a small crop of the sky and cloning out that bit of land on the left horizon along with the dust bunny hiding underneath.
Harry; Good call on the B&W; I will work on that and repost.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/07/17 at 10:14 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, in reviewing the repost I think I would like to see a little more dodging of the foreground rocks to add a little more life in that part the scene, and to bring their tonality a little closer to the rocks in the upper part of the scene. But I agree with Harry, you should also try this image in B&W, especially with all the interesting texture in the clouds and foamy water in the foreground.

Acadia has certainly seen a big increase in visitation over the past 2 to 3 years. Even shoulder season months like September have become very busy thanks to all of the cruise ships coming to Bar Harbor. Fortunately Acadia is diverse enough that there still are some spots to get away from the hordes.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership