Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Geologic Pinstripe
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 12/03/17 at 2:53 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Too cliche?  While the ribbon of granite makes for an interesting and somewhat unique element of geology, I'm not sure it's the primary message of this image (actually not sure myself.)  I must disclose though that the leaf was NOT placed there (at least by me, Harley, or Kyle - and they can vouch for that!)  But we all thought to ourselves someone must have placed it there before us...  After all, this is on a popular trail near below a footbridge over Bridal Veil creek; of course there are big leaf maples everywhere, lots of fallen leaves, so it's entirely possible it was natural.  No matter, I decided to photograph it.  

I'm curious to your general reactions and impressions.

f/16, 1.3s at iso 200

Thanks!

Lon

ps. I hope our resident Geologic experts can expand on the igneous rock and origins of a layer like this. Preston?  

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Snead on 12/03/17 at 3:26 pm EST    
Registered on 04/06/17, 104 Posts, 397 Comments

Lon

This is a real jem whether someone placed the leaf there or not. I have to admit that was one of my first thoughts as it is so perfect, but maybe photographers aren’t the best ones to commit on that aspect as we may be more prone to thinking that way. 

Kathy Snead
Golden, CO

http://KathySneadPhotography.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Snead Gallery of Kathy Snead

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 12/03/17 at 3:59 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

The leaf "makes" the image for me, however it got there. No complaints!

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paula LeVay on 12/03/17 at 4:32 pm EST    
Registered on 07/29/16, 66 Posts, 270 Comments

Lon,  I think both the yellow leaf and the ribbon of granite are equally important, both adding another level of interest to the image.  Imagine either one not being there and the impact of the photo is lessened.  I also like the direction of the silky water as it cascades around the rock with the secondary rock in the lower right redirecting the water back to the left.  It's an intimate scene with a big impact.  Really nice!

Paula Levay
Beach City, Texas
http://www.storiedpixels.com

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paula LeVay Gallery of Paula LeVay

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 12/03/17 at 5:15 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

Love the rocks and flow of water in this one Lon.  Shutter speed looks perfect.  I think the leaf would have been more effective if it didn't intersect the pinstripe - maybe a little more to the left and up a bit.  Very nice image.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/03/17 at 5:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This turned out great. Yeah, a little cliche, but it works.  Processing looks good. While you and Kyle were shooting this,  I was standing there with my thumb, oh never mind. Nice work.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/03/17 at 5:32 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 12/03/17 at 5:37 pm EST

Technically it looks great, not one of my compositional favorites of yours.  For some reason, if this was part of a larger cascade or river scene I think I might be more into it.  If the leaf was placed, at least they could have placed it a little more left so I could see the whole intrusion, if that is what you call it.sad The leaf /boulder seems a little too in my face in this case.  Regarding your print question, I think I replied but if you didn't receive let me know.

Lon - just saw your  "print request" in the forum vs my email, which was a bunch of characters in some cases, so I didn't see the Smiley Face and get a full understanding of your comment!  I get it now!!! I'll send you a 6 inch print!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/03/17 at 6:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is sweet. I like the flow of the water around the rocks. The intrusion works very well. The intrusion is known as aplite and are quite common in granites (in this case, diorite). The leaf looks great. Did Maggie get her feet wet placing it there? sad

I am wondering if there is any way to pull a little detail out of the dark area on the bottom left side of the rock? Also, you might consider cloning those three fir needles near the leaf. Third, the stem on the maple leaf directly right across from the rock catches my eye.

Those are minor nits--this is a real nice image.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 12/03/17 at 6:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Lon: Definitely too cliche for me so to spare you any further pain just send me the RAW file and put it out of your miseryenlightenedangelangel. Regardless of how the leaf got there this is a great find and a superb capture in my book. I like the comp and your choice of SS. 2 thumbs up. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 12/03/17 at 7:13 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Very pretty Lon. Love the vein in the rock too.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/04/17 at 3:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Nice composition of mostly warm tones. I particularly like the upper right quadrant of the image where the combination of warmth, soft blur and detail work very nicely. I'll go against the grain a bit and say that the intrusion does little for me. I'm not sure why but I think it's due to the fact that it's a wide straight line. If it was veined it likely would work better for me. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 12/04/17 at 7:24 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I like how the silky water hugs the main rock Lon kinda emphasizing it, the leaf, and stripe.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/05/17 at 11:40 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, This is very nicely done! Great looking composition, super interesting rock and I like the leaf however it got there. The soft water texture and motion works great against the sharp detail of the rock. Nice work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/05/17 at 4:46 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 12/05/17 at 4:49 pm EST

That oak leave makes a great focal point here, Lon.  It's solidness and the solidness of the rock that it's resting on are contrasted very well by the softness of the surrounding water.  The bit of clarity and warmth of the leaves in the urc are a special addition.

That layer of lighter color is from a magma intrusion through a crack in the older (dark) rock.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/06/17 at 01:04 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I like this one, Lon.   I think Guy Tal refers to the leaf as found light, if in fact, it was place.  I like that term.  The inclusion of the intrusion is an added bonus.  Very nice.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership