Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Bridal Veil Rocks +bw
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 12/02/17 at 1:18 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ok, holidays over, busy work week and now back to posting.  Thank you so much for your comments on my previous image.  Moving in order, we then moved on the check out Bridal Veil Falls, as we usually do.  This is a popular spot for the tourists and it's our one stop on the loop where we have to grin and bear it.  It's a short walk up to a small viewing area near the base of Bridal Veil falls.  In the spring, you get drenched.  In November, not so much, but we were fortunate that some rain had rolled thru the day before which kick-started some of the falls in the valley.  Not much water, but enough to get the rocks wet.

In between chatting with tourists, taking their family pics for them, answering the question, "are you a professional photographer?" I managed to fire off some shots of the face of the falls.  This is a situation where I wanted the water to freeze a bit more, rather than let it fall with a longer exposure.  This was at iso 560, f/11 at 1/800th.

I liked the subtle earth colors so I'm posting the color version first. But then I also experimented with b&w.  I'm really not sure about this one, but don't know why.  Your comments, critiques and suggestions of course always appreciated.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/02/17 at 1:19 pm EST    

B&W version

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/02/17 at 4:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The two have such different moods and looks that I feel like I am looking at two different images (and I don't have to pick a favorite). I like both. I might boost the highs a bit in the B&W, but otherwise have no suggestions. They work nicely. 

I have almost the same exact composition in extremely different light and with a much slower shutter.  I will get around to posting it in the next week or two. It will be interesting to compare and contrast. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/02/17 at 6:36 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I think I am liking the color version more.  Seems that there may be more water detail visible in the upper portions.  Maybe just prefer the earth tones in this.  The lower portion of the image appears bright, maybe because there wasn't enough flow to create streams of water there - more like a mist.  The lighting / processing makes this very dramatic. Another well done intimate image.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/02/17 at 8:31 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Excellent, Lon. Put me down for the color version. For me the subtle colors add more depth and visual interest. The sidelighting really makes this image work beautifully. Processing looks good on my monitor.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/02/17 at 10:46 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Although the color version is very cool, as you might suspect, I prefer the B/W.  It has that mysterious vibe that I love.  I think the conversion looks good.  One thing I do like are the tonal transitions of the color version.  The B/W is harsher, which I find is often the case.  I might look at trying to massage some more tonal separation in the darks.  It's a minor thing, but might be worth a look.  I love it as is, of course. 

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 12/03/17 at 07:57 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

This is a very artistic image. I like the play between light and dark, the textures and all the angles. I tend to like the first image better. The hint of color adds another dimension to the image for me. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/03/17 at 10:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Lon,

This image has a lot of impact, with the textures, strong contrast, and interesting shapes in the rocks. I also prefer the color image because the brown tones are a really nice element in the scene. The color image appears very luminous and almost metallic. Usually a B&W treatment of scene provides that more luminous feeling, but in this case for some reason the color version does a better job of that IMO. I also think the lower water flow level does a great job of helping to emphasize the wonderful textures and shapes in the rocks. Don't get me wrong, the B&W is very nice too, but the subtle colors of the first one appeal to me.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/03/17 at 12:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I prefer the color version as well. The treatment of the rock wall is such that it looks like obsidian or other crystalline material. I don't suppose there is such a thing as brown obsidian? That being the case would it look better as more of an abstract without the large boulder llc? I'm toying with that idea but not sure. I suspect you've considered that already. Nice image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/03/17 at 2:36 pm EST    

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.  I know some will always lean b&w, but I'm with most in liking the color version a bit better. Honestly, the b&w conversion was a last minute choice to include.  I still struggle with the artistic side of converting - I mean  it's not hard to "pick" a selection from Nik's Silver Efex Pro plug-in... sure one can tweak... but still..

Igor, I like your crop idea and think it's a valid alternate.

Harley, look forward to seeing your version if you decide to post.

Thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/03/17 at 3:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Lon. One of the reasons I chose the color over b&w was the stone in llc. It stands out in the color version due to color but has a smaller impact in b&w. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/03/17 at 6:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Well, darn. You did make it hard to choose between the color or monochrome. After carefully considering the whole situation, and my back is against the wall, I will go with the color version. The subtle color in the rock works well.

While I like the B&W, I agree with Gary's suggestion.

I prefer the framing as presented.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/04/17 at 6:22 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, put me down for the B&W. I don't love the extreme bright parts in the rock, and I find them less harsh in that one. In either case, I could see trying to bring up the detail in the dark LRC.

I really like the tall pano crop and how it emphasizes the falls, an that bit of heavier water flow up top is really nice. Just the right amount, IMO.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 12/05/17 at 03:42 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Almost miss this one, Lon. I really like the b&w version and the composition works really well. The effect of the water and light on the rock is really stunning.

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 12/07/17 at 12:31 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Lon, my preference is for the first version with the slight hints of color.  In the B&W version, the rock in the LLC seems to get lost/blend in too much.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership