Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Wall & RePost
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 12/01/17 at 7:07 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 12/02/17 at 9:28 pm EST

Larger Image with Expansion Tab

Taking a break from processing local fall images to go back to a Teton trip in September when the area saw it first significant snow of the year.  Many of the aspen and cottonwood trees were still green, but this section of the park had some good color.  I waited for the sun to rise high enough and move south far enough to give the best side lighting to set the trees on fire and revelal the textures of the mountains. This section of the range was my primary target for an image, but I decided the pano view was pretty good too so I created a 3 image stitch.  I'll post the single section I was thinking of since I think it will display better here, and the full pano below where i can upload the larger version.  This snow didn't hang around long, and much of it was gone on the lower slopes in 2 days.  I did crop a bit off the bottom to create the pano, but I think it might be better to include more if I were to keep this single section as a stand-alone image.

D810, 80-400 @ 170mm, f11, 1/250th sec. each image.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/01/17 at 7:08 pm EST    

The full pano. Select image to see largest size.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/01/17 at 11:30 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

For my money, the pano is the ticket.  I could see this with a tad more saturation overall and particularly in the aspens.  Hard to go wrong in the Tetons.  I lived there for 30 years and could kick myself for not being into photography at that time.  That pano type image has a place on a lot of walls around town.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 12/02/17 at 08:00 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Harry,

Both images are excellent, but I prefer the pano version--more to look at. Details and colors are very good.  Well done...............Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/02/17 at 10:25 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Harry, I think this looks very good as a pano.  The similar amounts of colored grass and trees anchors those craggy, snowy peaks and clouds very well.  The full pano look great.  I'd print that and hang it.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/02/17 at 11:52 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

On my monitor it appears just a tad bright....
Clarity is very nice, Pano is over the top.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/02/17 at 12:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

You continually impress!  Now the original post (especially the large view) is a wonder landscape image from the Grand Tetons. I'm glad  you included the sagey foreground and I really like the line of trees.  The clouds and fog obscuring a bit of the peak are wonderful.  This is a fabulous image, no nits.

But that was just a teaser.  I'm only disappointed that you showed the panoramic as a comment and not on it's own. But the good news is that we get to enjoy this version too.  This one is outstanding, I LOVE this pano!  Great job and decision to grab the images for the stitch.  This is CLASSIC and beautifully done.  And also, this shows quite well in the large view here on NPN!

If I had a wish, it would be to pop the fall color just a tad, but that's minor.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/02/17 at 12:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Absolutely the pano for me! Beautiful scene and classic look! Looks great. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/02/17 at 6:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Another vote for the pano, Harry. Terrific.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/02/17 at 8:41 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Both excellent but if I were to pick, I'd go with the pano. Processing looks very natural, although I think a bit more vibrance/hue adjustment in the aspens would make this image pop more. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/02/17 at 9:29 pm EST    

Thanks for the input.
I have increased the brightness and a little vibrance in the tree line as suggested.  Thanks!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/03/17 at 12:41 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

C'ching....  

If I send you my address, can you send me a 6' print?  sad

Thanks for the repost.  Awesome!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/03/17 at 10:00 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Harry,

The panoramic re-post is simply a spectacular image, it puts the full majesty of the Tetons on display. Adding vibrance to the aspens helps this to really pop as well. the repost is terrific as it is.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 12/04/17 at 7:30 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

The pano repost for me Harry.  Another grand view. 

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership