Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Ground Swell
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 11/29/17 at 10:06 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I was returning from a short hike from the Smoky Mtn Road near Page, when this scene unfolded as the last light faded away.  I have processed this several times over the last couple of years.  This version has held my interest, and short of posting more fog images, I thought I'd see what you guys think.  This image is in the same boat as Harley's rock image a week or so back, in that it's an image that I like a lot, but I'm not sure of it's appeal to others.

iso 100, 24-105 @ 88mm, f//8, 1/15s

Better large.

I would greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 11/29/17 at 10:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Lots of texture going on here! I like the curvy line of shrubs leading up to the little (?) mound. It's hard to tell scale but that's not so important---it could be a grand vista or a little mini landscape. I do prefer the fog images, but not sure if I can say why. I guess they have more mood and intrigue for me.  I hope you are planning to do a book of all these wonderful black and white images of your area.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/30/17 at 03:32 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Your b&w images recently are not really abstracts but the medium and the subject always take you in other directions and seem suggestive. They're very open to interpretation. To me this suggests a fist coming out of the ground in a fairly violent manner. The composition is treating this as a landscape with a distant rock. If I had wanted the viewer to think of this as a symbol for a fist I would perhaps use a closer crop. Have you ever seen 'Planet of the Apes'? The last scene reminds me of this image. It's not the fact that Heston realizes the historical significance to the statue of liberty poking out the sand. It's the impact of the unexpected statue rising out of a beach seascape. The brilliant scene works at both levels. This image is like that imo.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/30/17 at 09:27 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

This is a bit more straightforward than a lot of your  previous images.
Nice lead in, overall it appears a bit bland to me compared to a lot of your processing.
I think some burning for some darker tones would look nice,

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/30/17 at 11:30 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Gary, I think the line of zig-zag grass leading to that small ridge works very well at creating a strong sense of depth and showing the erosion that created this landscape.  I'm finding the brightness of the small hills in the larger view too strong.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/30/17 at 12:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Love this!  It definitely needs to be viewed large. I would consider burning the edge of the hill top left, but very minor stuff. My kind of image!!! 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/30/17 at 1:08 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I like the textures a lot in this image.  Was thinking it might be better as a vertical shot with the grasses leading to the rock formation?  A gritty feel that works well for the subject.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 11/30/17 at 1:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

A nicely thought out composition, I love the symmetry you have achieved by placement of elements within the scene. It definitely looks much better in the larger size. And the dead center placement  of your background subject is the only way to go in this case. I agree with Harry, this would also work very nice as a vertical composition, which would put even more emphasis on the zig zag lines through the center of the image. I would also burn down the top of the frame a little bit, especially the mound in the upper left hand corner.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/30/17 at 8:40 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Gary, this is a lovely comp, and like others, I like the zig-zag of grass leading down to that formation. Maybe I'm stuck in my thinking about your previous images, but I want to see this darker and moodier, especially since you mention it is "as the last light faded away".

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/01/17 at 03:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

This MUST be view large to be appreciated and get the full effect of this scene and image.  The ribbon of vegetation flowing through the landscape in the lower 2/3 of this image is remarkable.  Very interesting too because the b&w here is very successful, where as not so much with Doug's recent post where vegetation(trees) flowed through the landscape.  Not having seen the color, but again the tonal range is such here that the tones work beautifully to emphasize the ribbon of flow.

The top quarter or so of the frame is less compelling to me, but provides a very important element here. And that is scale. With that ridge up top - even though I have no idea of it's size, at least tries to tell me this is a broader landscape. Without the top, the bottom section could be a mini landscape of just a few feet wide, but putting these both together and I get a better sense of a bigger desert landscape.

This is no less compelling than your recent images and shows mastery of the landscape - and black and white.  Outstanding work.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/01/17 at 11:00 am EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Took awhile to orient myself to the scale of what I was viewing. While maybe not as dramatic as your fog images this is appealing on its own level. Great curvy leading lines bringing the eye into the frame. Processing looks great although I could see burning down the brightness along the top of the frame.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 12/01/17 at 10:19 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Well done as usual, Gary. Looks like a grand landscape, but the plants in the draw show the sense of scale. 

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership