Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Landscape - 1st Place
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the EPA 2017 gallery on 11/29/17 at 07:48 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 02/04/18 at 11:05 am EST

Pine Barrens

Large Version Included

Some of the nicest light I found this fall was atop NH's Mount Major as the sun was rising and the fog was lifting.  This comp had to come together very quickly as breaks in the fog let sunlight through.  I tried to reduce the large gaps between the red pines as best I could - would have liked to move left but the trees were too thick to shoot through.  Similar to a previous image taken in the fog, I didn't increase the clarity during RAW conversion.

810D, 110mm, ISO 160, f22

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/29/17 at 09:24 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

No words on this one, Harry, just superb.
What a nice FG and dreamy woods....
Would not change a thing.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/29/17 at 09:39 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Harry, I think keeping the clarity down works very well at maintaining the sense of mystery that the fog creates.  The colors are gently wonderful with the leaning trunks adding a nice sense of movement.  This might also look good with some overall blur as a photoart treatment.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/29/17 at 09:47 am EST    

Thanks guys - I will try a similar treatment to this one as an earlier fall shot of maples and put in Photo Art.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/29/17 at 11:53 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Harry!!! It has a great dreamy, painterly look and mood. Processing looks spot on to my eye. Excellent. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/29/17 at 12:37 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is exquisite. Everything working beautifully - composition, colors, soft light and atmosphere. Try as I might, I can't see any way to improve. This would make an exceptional print.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 11/29/17 at 4:53 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

This is badass.  So many diff ways to process these kinds of scenes and this works great.  Boom.

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 11/29/17 at 5:39 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The red makes a nice colorful foreground to couple with the foggy back.  Beautiful image Harry.  Picking tiny nits for this worthy image, but there is a thin lighter vertical limb along the left edge that might be cloned out.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 11/29/17 at 7:21 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I just like everything about this image. It really portrays the peaceful and quite feeling that this kind of conditions create in the woods. The colors cause the whole image to pop. The distance between the trees does not bother me at all. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/29/17 at 10:46 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Beautiful Harry.  Love the  fall colors in combination with the fog.  Colors pop nicely without being overdone.  Excellent.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/30/17 at 01:58 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Nice lighting and  wonderful complex composition of trees and leaves as they fade into the distance. The bright red leaves at the very bottom to me seem a bit too strong. I would darken the darker half of the reds. If there is a way to select the most saturated reds in just lower it a bit that would be best imo. Desaturate the reds too much and the image goes blah. It's a fine line and subject to interpretation. The image is really great as is. Sometimes I'll open the tab and it looks perfect. In this case color is subjective that changes from one look to another. Sorry for being so long winded. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 11/30/17 at 05:39 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Great image and mood, Harry. I am really enjoying the conditions and the colors. I would suggest a slight crop of the red lower part. Basically, keeping only the red vegetation just beneath the tress. I know it might seem counterintuitive since the red vegetation is one of the main subjects but I think it would increase the dreamy atmosphere. I hope you get the general idea.

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 11/30/17 at 2:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Lovely image Harry, it has a very soothing, pleasant feel to it. Shooting in a forest like this is all about making order out of chaos, and you have done an outstanding job of bringing order to this image. I sometimes find that leaning trees can create diagonals that can be distracting in forest compositions. But in this case, by placing the two leaning trees in the center in a "V" shape, you have turned it into a plus. In my opinion, the "Orton Effect" is being overused in landscape photography. This image has a slight "Orton" feel to it, but in this case it is totally appropriate for this scene. If you used any "Orton" here it was very subtly and tastefully handled. I also agree with Mattia, I would crop a little off the bottom red, there is a little darker section in the lower right that is a minor distraction.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/30/17 at 7:41 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Harry, I have nothing to suggest on this, as it is amazing as presented. What a beautiful capture of a beautiful scene!

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/30/17 at 11:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This is really well done Harry. It is seldom that we get to see a forest portrayed in this manner. Totally enchanting and reminds me of fairy tales. Love the composition (the leaning trees in the center nicely balance the straighter ones on both sides) and the softness in color and contrast.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/01/17 at 02:42 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Man, oh, man, you had yourself quite the fall season.  Pretty hard to top what you've already posted, but this is pushing that top spot!  Dang it if I didn't already use the word stunning tonight.  Well, how about spectacular?  I love what you did with the PA version, but honestly, this doesn't really need that extra glow or anything, it's all happening pretty naturally.

The design and composition here are just wonderful, just about perfect.  I love the crossing/opposing trunks in the middle supported by the other trunks that frame the scene beautifully.  The framing is further benefited by the layer or red autumn foliage at the bottom.  Toss in a little for the icing on the cake and you have a winner.

No suggestions or nits what so ever.  Love this.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 12/04/17 at 11:42 am EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Harry it is beautiful light and you found it for sure! I feel like I am walking deep into the great north woods from this perspective. Your choice to reduce the gaps in the pines went well. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 02/04/18 at 8:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Major congrats on the 2017 yearly pick!
Wonderful image!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/04/18 at 9:08 pm EST    

Thanks editors for the award.  Much appreciated!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 02/28/18 at 10:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Harrycrying  Wish  this  were  minecool   excellent  in  every aspect      Congrats  on  a well deserved    1st  placedevildevil
Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership