Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Tongue and Groove & Re-Post
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 11/27/17 at 8:59 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 11/28/17 at 2:36 pm EST

Large View Recommended

I had different plans for an image at sunrise from atop NH's Franconia Ridge this fall, but things didn't turn out like I had hoped.  Clouds cleared over night and the alpine foliage I was hoping for as a FG didn't pan out - way past its peak.  So, I zoomed in for a tight view of the ravines in the Pemigewasset Wilderness as the sun grazed the trees that were near peak in the valley.

This is the type of images that has looked crunchy in the past on upload, so I'd be interested to see if anyone feels it is over sharpened.  On my monitor it look fine.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/27/17 at 9:36 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Love the layering, lines and colors. No suggestions here, looks great to me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/27/17 at 10:01 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I like the "dune" look a lot, very nice curves..
I might try a tad more contrast to the upper slopes to pop them just a tad more for me.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/28/17 at 05:41 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Lots to love about this image. The light especially as it shows off those gentle curves in the hills. And, some very nice color to go with it.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/28/17 at 11:20 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The colorful zig zag of the ridges fading into the distance looks great, Harry.  A fine "switch of plans".

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/28/17 at 11:31 am EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Very nicely composed, Harry. The zig-zag of the land contours add some great depth and visual interest. I think the shadows are opened up just enough to provide detail but still retaining contrast. Processing looks good to me.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/28/17 at 2:35 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Click Image for Larger View
Thanks for the observations.  I boosted the contrast in the upper shadow areas that looked a little hazy per Dan's suggestion, and added a little vibrance to those areas as well.

Thanks!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 11/28/17 at 3:10 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments
Comment last edited by Doug Koepsel on 11/28/17 at 3:11 pm EST

In comparing the two side by side, I think the darker shadows of the repost are better and give a little better depth to the image.  Nice intersecting diagonals of color in your image.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/29/17 at 02:03 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

My kind if image, Harry.  I really like it.  No sky, no problem for me.  Excellent.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/29/17 at 2:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

By definition, photography is all about light.  To make it artistic, we add the choices of design, composition, etc.  You've done a masterful job with the light and shadow in designing this image by your isolation and selection of the elements.  This is a wonderful image.

I must say though, that the repost is even better! Great job making some adjustments. The color, contrast and even saturation look terrific.

Love this image.  Oh, sharpening looking great too!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership