Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Where there's smoke....
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 11/27/17 at 6:36 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks Harley and Igor for your comments on my last post.  How often does it happen when a member can post back to back images in Landscape with no one else making a post?  Yikes.

Well, this one here is just slightly more dramatic that the previous post and hope it gets a better response.  cool This was in the early afternoon after Kyle and I had met up with Harley and had established our campsites - well me anyway, I'm the only one tenting it.  So the three of us headed out with Maggie (Harley's girl...) to hit the loop and look for opportunities.  Harley was the first to spot the smoke and motioned for me to pull over.  Harley posted a great image of beams through the pines and smoke of the nearby controlled burn.  I took a broader view of the river scene and captured this.  Of course it was captured in color and honestly it looked too much like smoke, the rays not good in the color version.  I thought the b&w presentation worked better.

Would love your thoughts, comments and suggestions.  Single frame, b&w a result of Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2

Thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/27/17 at 7:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The b&w choice was a good one. It looks as though it's early morning and the rays are burning through the mist. There's no hint that this is smoke except for the title. The rays in the large version look wonderful. 

BTW, did you have to straighten out the trees using photoshop's perspective tools. The reason I ask is because I shot some a while ago at 24mm and the trees on either side are bent toward the center. It's not a bad effect but I want to straighten them out. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/27/17 at 8:14 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Well it works very well in B & W. I thought you caught some nice rays through the fog from the thumbnail.
I would not have really known it was smoke unless mentioned. I think if you tweaked the clarity a bit, you could smooth it out
a bit more for a even more "fog" like look if you chose to.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/27/17 at 9:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This turned out really nice, I like it a lot. Good choice on the B&W. No suggestions here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/28/17 at 05:49 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

A beautiful landscape image. Inspiring and totally captivating. 

I wouldn't have have guessed it was smoke. Looks so much like fog.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 11/28/17 at 07:54 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

My first response was' "I want to be there." The b&w makes this look like some early morning fog still hanging over a calm and quit forest. A very peaceful image. The b&w works really well with this image. It almost gives it a mysterious feeling. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/28/17 at 11:49 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Love the crepuscular rays here, Lon.  Even if it is smoke, this has a fine early/late light feeling where going b&w lets the lighting dominate the view.

As an aside, I believe that the lack of comments is the fastest way to drive down membership and participation.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/28/17 at 1:19 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, excellent use of the smoke and sun rays to great effect. I like all the varied thickness of smoke, obscuring and revealing things at different levels. I like the dark and light halves of the image as well. Great choice to go with B&W.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/28/17 at 1:31 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Great atmospherics, does look like mist.  Other than  a slight crop of the left (the tree far left), looks great as is.  A slight crop might focus the interest  a bit more to the right.  Not sure if possible, but  more water / reflection would be wonderful too but I suspect you would have done it if it was present.  Has a feel of the great painters that portrayed the Yosemite area.  I am assuming this is Yosemite.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/29/17 at 01:54 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

What really works for me in this presentation is the dark stillness of the water leading to the rays in the smoke (fog).  Perfect b/w material.  This has a wonderful quiet beauty that is not easy to find and even harder to capture.  Very nice, Lon, I love it.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/29/17 at 10:49 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, This made such a wonderful b&w image. I love looking at the large version...wonderful work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 11/29/17 at 11:02 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The rays in the smoke show nicely.  The bright spot in the UL might be eliminated.  This works well in B&W to me.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 11/29/17 at 5:56 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Well that looks pretty damn good to me.  Very cool

aF

And yes, the forum has definitely slowed down over the last few years.  Alas :/

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Harwood on 11/30/17 at 09:54 am EST    
Registered on 02/04/15, 29 Posts, 29 Comments

Lon, This is gorgeous, a rare moment of light made visible. Beautiful composition as well in ways immediately apparent. You chose a soft focus effect. Part of me wonders what the same scene and moment would look like were the landscape to be Ansel Adams sharp? The question occurs because this capture is that good! Dave

Dave Harwood
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
   www.davidharwoodphotography.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Harwood Gallery of Dave Harwood

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/14/17 at 09:02 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Have to say this still is a really terrific bnw image Lon.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership