Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Merced Water Study #2 +2
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 11/26/17 at 12:50 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 11/26/17 at 3:25 pm EST

I went back to the Merced River the following year to shoot some more water impressions. This was shot outside the park near the bridge. This was again an attempt to record water movement. There seemed to be little interest in the last one. Let's see how this one goes. 

Canon 6D, 24-105@35mm, 1/6 sec, f/22, ISO 400, tripod

I believe the strange aperture and ISO settings were probably due to the need to get the 1/6 sec exposure given the amount of daylight.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/26/17 at 2:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

You did a good job with the shutter speed on this, but I find I have a wandering eye on the composition. The water bottom and center engages me, but my attention goes up to the rocks at the top, with more of a back and forth than a smooth flow. Playing with a scroll crop, I might play with cropping the top to just below the big rocks and see how it works. The blues in the water work real well here, processing looks good to me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/26/17 at 2:09 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Your SS is perfect and the splash at the bottom is nice.
I think a crop from the top eliminating the boulder would work for me...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/26/17 at 2:23 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 11/26/17 at 2:52 pm EST

Sure, we can try that crop if you like. It will be interesting to see how many prefer the repost.

I agree that these water images seem busy but that's how water is. That's why it's mesmerizing.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/26/17 at 2:27 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Repost much better for me...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/26/17 at 2:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

I love the tumbling Merced and this captures that feeling beautifully.  I think the colors are spot on - at least my desired impressions of the flowing river.

Both versions work for me.  The original post I get more of a sense of the chaotic nature of the water tumbling and crashing over the random granite boulders. It almost seems the turbulent water is going in all different directions - that keeps me engaged and looking to find that "down hill" flow.  The shutter speeds works perfectly here.

The repost works although for me it removes the mystery of the chaotic flow of the water. In the repost it's clear about the flow. I think rather than a drastic crop off the top, I'm wondering about cloning or dealing with just the little bright area of that dark rock up top? Then you don't need to crop - at least from my perspective.

Also, an interesting thought is that with the crop, I'm kinda wishing for a different shutter speed - a longer, softer presentation of the water. Interesting, because it gets me thinking about when to apply different shutter speeds, depending on the intimacy, or broader view... hmmmm, have to think on that.

In the end, I keep going back to the original post.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/26/17 at 3:16 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Really nice action, texture and hint of aqua blue in the water. I prefer the original crop although i could do without the dark upper right corner. Not sure you can do anything about that - maybe dodge so it blends in more.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/26/17 at 3:23 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 11/26/17 at 3:24 pm EST

Another repost based upon Lon's suggestion of removing the white area from the dark area in the urc. I knew someone would bring that up. I used Content Aware Fill for this for the first time. It's not quite as magical as I thought it would be (it kept filling the area with part of the water below) but eventually I worked through it. It almost felt like cheating somehow.

Dave, I'm sorry. I can't remove the dark rock. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/26/17 at 3:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I prefer the first repost. The tighter comp works for me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/26/17 at 4:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

I like the 2nd repost. Yeah, there's a little tiny feeling of guilt removing a patch like that.... I was that way, but then got over it. ;-)

Dave also mentioned dodging that upper rock.  I do think raising the levels there a tad could help. 

Our tastes are all different of course, which makes the world go 'round.  I still like the original framing with some of the tweaks to that upper dark rock.

Makes want to drive up to the canyon.  

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Hoveijn on 11/26/17 at 4:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/02/15, 18 Posts, 192 Comments

I think I prefer the second repost. The blues and the greens in the water are great and also the warm tones of the rocks. Tumbling water always fascinates me but I find it very hard to organize such a picture. This one is somewhat chaotic as well, but chaos is the essence of these scenes. Since I am not a fan of milky water, the shutter speed is ok for me. A shorter shutter speed would only increase the chaos, now the local flow is slightly smoothed out while retaining the global flow. Thanks for the repost, very instructive.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Hoveijn Gallery of Igor Hoveijn

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 11/26/17 at 8:11 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Igor, the colors are wonderful and I like the 2nd redo very much. It reminds me of a Winslow Homer painting of the coast of Maine. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/27/17 at 5:58 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I like the water flow you showcased here, not sure about the rock arrangement in the comp.  Somehow if rocks are included, I think they need to work with the composition. I'm running into a similar look to water in an image.  When a slower shutter speed is used, some of the water takes on flow that might not be expected, like the LLC of image.  Almost a backflow.  Can disrupt the flow in an image - feel chaotic.  But that may be the flow you wanted to depict.  Nothing wrong with it, just the feel I get when looking at the image.  Slight cyan or blue cast, maybe due to shade.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/27/17 at 6:46 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 11/27/17 at 6:48 pm EST

I like the sense of bouncing action here, Igor, along with the mix of stones offering stability in contrast to the moving water.  Your ss does a great job of showing the motion.  I like the extra clarity/brightness of the rocks in the 2nd redo.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/27/17 at 7:12 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 11/28/17 at 06:02 am EST

Harry, I wanted to make a few comments about composition in such images.

If you looked at the portion of the Merced in this image it wouldn't look anything like it. Conversely, if you shot an image of a stream at 0.6 secs that looked like this image you would have nothing but white water and rocks. That was my experience. You sort of have to look at white and clear sections of a stream and try to anticipate how they will look in an image. But you really never know exactly. In fact, I found that shooting the same shot from a tripod repeatedly gave different compositions because water doesn't flow the same in real time. There would be more white next to rock and a few seconds later less white. So creating a careful composition in the normal sense was impossible for me. I did my best by shooting compositions from area to area and later cropping the final image to what looked good. Most images had no appealing crop at all. This one is a crop of about 1/2 of the original.

Incidentally, after moving to Bend I tried to shoot similar images but it was drastically different. The black volcanic rock of the cascades just wasn't as appealing as the beautiful granite of the Sierras. The thin film of algae that grows on these rocks adds the warm colors.

Regarding chaos: wait til you see the next one!

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/28/17 at 05:16 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

I prefer the version you originally posted. It has a natural feel about it that makes this photograph really sing. I can immediately connect with the strength of both the flowing water and the huge boulders that are offering resistance. The resultant path (so well depicted by your chosen shutter speed) illustrates the beauty of fast currents. This is a true depiction of the complexity that can be observed in nature and I see no reason to simplify the scene (further) in an attempt to make it more appealing.

You have quite a treasure trove of old photos. I can't wait to see more.

Regards,

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/29/17 at 10:39 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, This is quite interesting to look at. The rocks are just fine with me and the original post works best imo. The flowing motion looks just great and I love the white, blue and cyan tones as they mix together beautifully. I like what you captured here!!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership