Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Time to Reflect #3
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 11/25/17 at 3:19 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! At least those here in the US.

Thanks all for your comments on my previous reflection image.  This is the last of the reflection images, all taken from the same place along the Merced river.  This one is simpler, less abstract, which in turn may be less engaging.  Hard to go wrong with simple though.  I liked the muted, earthy tones of El cap reflecting in the water.

As always your honest and thoughtful comments and suggestions are welcome!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/25/17 at 4:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Lon.  I really like it. It would work even better if the branch had a simpler structure, but you take what nature gives you (at least for the most part sad). This is real sweet. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/25/17 at 4:59 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I also would prefer a simpler subject. The water is so nice I almost would prefer maybe nothing at all....

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/25/17 at 8:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Like the simplicity, I think many of your images have that trademark.  The warm swirls of the water contrast nicely with the sharp lines of the branch.  I think you have worked all of the big scenes in Yosemite, so it's natural to concentrate on these!  FYI, I think TK's sharpening have improved the uploads here, especially when used in well below maximum strength.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 11/25/17 at 8:43 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

You can do more with less then anyone. I really like the simplicity of this and the soft colors. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barbara Graham on 11/26/17 at 12:54 am EST    
Registered on 07/27/10, 1310 Posts, 5035 Comments

The swirls and color of the water are so beautiful.  I think the branch being complex gives you more to reflect about.

Barbara Graham
Decatur, Georgia

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Barbara Graham Gallery of Barbara Graham

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 11/26/17 at 10:28 am EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Lon, I like the peacefulness and the simple subject you isolated in the reflection of the water. A perfect combination. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/26/17 at 12:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments
Comment last edited by Preston Birdwell on 11/26/17 at 12:50 pm EST

Simple and effective. The color and processing look spot-on to me. I am wondering how cropping off some of the dark area on the left would look, or even a square crop anchored in the lower right corner, as alternatives. The image image as presented is really nice. I like this one a lot. Lon.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/26/17 at 1:02 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Wonderful warm reflections with a watercolor look and abstract feel. The branch is well placed and anchors the image nicely. It looks maybe ~.2 stop dark on my monitor. Otherwise, processing looks great. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/26/17 at 2:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

My first impression was like Harley's. A more graceful, lighter branch would be more appropriate for the overall scene. But now I don't think that's the answer. The slow SS has changed this into an abstract with a dark object on a smooth surface. It almost looks as though the bush is superimposed on the river. I can't make a significant connection with this image. Perhaps with time ....

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 11/26/17 at 4:47 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

This has a late and low light feel.  A consideration may be a crop of the darker points coming from the top, as they compete with the branch, imo.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/29/17 at 12:35 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I really do love the simplicity of the image, Lon.  For me the dark left side is a bit of a distraction and may be worth dinking with.  Excellent as is.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership