Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Spooky Woods +rp
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 11/22/17 at 2:12 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 12/02/17 at 9:59 pm EST

This was taken in Alaska in the summer at close to midnight. Due to the high latitude total darkness comes for a very short time. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Erhardt on 11/22/17 at 5:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 245 Posts, 2421 Comments

The near-center comp of the two larger trees works for me.  The not-quite-dark low light of Alaskan summer midnight does create a spooky - or perhaps even mystical - feeling.

As is usually the case, an excellent photo!

Jim Erhardt     |     NPN 1     |   Bedford, New Hampshire U.S.A.     |     editor@naturephotographers.net

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Erhardt Gallery of Jim Erhardt

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim DeWitt on 11/22/17 at 7:17 pm EST    
Registered on 08/28/06, 1240 Posts, 8506 Comments

Nice effect from that low light. 

Jim DeWitt
Frozen Feather Images
Boise, Idaho

Go on, prove me wrong. Destroy the fabric of the universe. See if I care.
       - Terry Pratchett

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim DeWitt Gallery of Jim DeWitt

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/24/17 at 1:19 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Igor, the limited light does create a spooky effect.  I also like how the trees fade into the forest.  I think that cropping the dark area on the right adds to this view by giving some additional emphasis to the opening to the left of the two main trees and the sense of peering into the dark forest.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/24/17 at 2:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Thanks for the idea Mark. I made the change you suggested. I think the composition is superior but I don't think it's quite a spooky. Would be interested in people's opinion.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 11/25/17 at 12:17 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Superb capture, Igor.  This is true photographic art.  As for the comparison between the two compositions, that's a really tough choice because they both have wonderful qualities. After going back and forth numerous times between the two, I definitely prefer the original post because it is better balanced with the darkness on each side which makes it more artistic and painterly IMHO.  Excellent photography.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/27/17 at 11:21 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Igor, I agree with you that the crop is a bit better of a composition, but doesn't feel as spooky. I don't feel like you can go wrong either way, though. Both are fantastic.

I could maybe see burning down that small piece of trunk back in the woods on the left to match the other trees.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 12/03/17 at 4:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Congrats on a fine (double) WP!
I like the original version, as it seems a little more mysterious to me.
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership