Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Time to Reflect #2 +crop rp
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 11/21/17 at 11:54 am EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 11/22/17 at 1:12 pm EST

Thanks so much for your comments and feedback on my previous image.

Same morning, just a few minutes later.  This one may not work for some, but I thought I would put it out there anyway.  An alternate title might have been "Hover board."  But mostly it's about the reflection and the somewhat abstract nature of this isolated little part of the Merced.

Thanks for looking.  As always, comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/21/17 at 12:15 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

You really know how to work the Yosemite Valley!  I'm drawn more to the reflection in this one than the branch.  Looks a little dark overall, may try boosting levels or vibrance a little?  I commend you for finding these small areas of interest - I think I would be looking up as if I were on Wall Street in NY - or Wall Street in the Narrowssad.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 11/21/17 at 12:35 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

Great abstract. Took a moment to figure out what was what.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/21/17 at 3:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am with Harry on this one. I am more drawn to the color and form in the reflection and the branch takes me well off that path. It definitely is abstract, it took me a second to figure out what I was seeing. This one is really not my cup of coffee.laugh

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Danny Laureys on 11/21/17 at 5:04 pm EST    
Registered on 01/05/08, 590 Posts, 1261 Comments

I like this, but I keep looking at it turning my head sideways so the the branches point to the top, don't no way.

Danny Laureys
Beaverton,Oregon

"Once destroyed, nature's beauty cannot be repurchased at any price." Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Danny Laureys Gallery of Danny Laureys

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/21/17 at 6:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Interesting abstract, Lon. I like the reflection and the texture in the water, but I am really on the fence with the grey branch.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 11/21/17 at 6:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Lon: A bit of a mind bender. The shadow(?) in the LLC is hard for me to reconcile and the overall darkness down there grabs my eye a bit too. Love the reflection and the impact of the ripple. Intriguing image.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 11/22/17 at 02:32 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I really like this image which brings to mind eastern abstract art, the shapes almost looking like Chinese characters. I wouldn't change a thing.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 11/22/17 at 06:49 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

I really appreciate the composition here, Lon. The reflection works really well and I like especially the water. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/22/17 at 10:48 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Lon, this is a fun view because at first glance I was thinking you'd rotated this 90 degrees.  On further study, the reflection of the log says that's not true, but the discovery process sure had me exploring the view.  I think that some subtle dodging of the darker reflections in the lower left would improve the visual balance.  The collection of warm browns is very attractive.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/22/17 at 1:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the honest feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm pretty much in agreement with the comments.  I actually spent time trying to figure out the reflection of the log in the original file.  I also agree the LL area is dark.  The only thing that I like really is the reflection.  

Here's a more severe crop which takes care of the log's reflection and darkness; and focuses more attention, I think, on the colors, patterns and reflection in the water.  I also boosted the color and contrast.

Thanks for any additional comments. Is this better? Or still so-so?

thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/22/17 at 1:14 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Very intriguing and unique abstract, Lon. Takes awhile to make sense of what you're looking at. It does seem a bit dark on my monitor, especially the lower left corner. Hard to come up with original takes from The Valley, so credit to you for Seeing.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 11/22/17 at 8:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Really like this abstract, Lon.  Gets one to thinking what you are actually looking at.  The left hand lower corner does seem a little dark and wonder if you can brighten this area sufficiently to get it in tune with the rest of the reflection but still keep the nice silhouette of the log.  Your crop seems to loose some of the interesting design of your original, in my opinion.  Fantastic seeing as usual.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 11/23/17 at 8:59 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Much less intriguing without the bottom IMO.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/24/17 at 2:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

It's interesting to read the comments. The crop doesn't work for me either. The best composition would have been to have the original image without the wood coming in from the side. I find these kind of images to be very worthwhile not in what they are but as an idea that can be developed. It will now sit in your brain and pop out when something similar appears but the next one will be better. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership