Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Autumn Glow
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 11/20/17 at 07:33 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 11/20/17 at 08:06 am EST

Large Image with Expansion Button

This was the first real sign of autumn that I saw in NH this year that caught my eye.  The marsh maples were on fire when back-lit, but the bands of green shrubs and ferns hadn't turned at all.  The contrasting colors and dappled light worked for me.  The red light filtered down to the trunks, as if a filter was over the sun.  Not sure if that comes through in the image, but was a lucky find.  I thought this would be a good, highly detailed image to try out some web sharpening adjustments to see if folks notice any difference.  For this one using TK's web sharpening, I used 40% for the general opacity in the Web Sharpening Box, then reduced Sharpening 1 to 60% and Sharpening 2 to 50% within the Layer Actions.  End result should be a bit less sharpened.

D810, 24-120 @ 78mm, f16, 1/15 sec., polarizing filter

I did experiment with the Orton Filter that was near the Sharpen button in TK's action, just to see what it did.  I haven't tried it on any images thus far, though I realize it is quite popular in landscape images these days.  Not sure if a trend or here to stay.  I thought the lighting might suite the use of the filter.  I posted the Image http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/ic.cgi?a=vp&pr=247145&CGISESSID=85c8719b0a46c42dff3072a574ad4a19&u=7889&title_action= in the Photo Art gallery if you want to compare.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 11/20/17 at 08:40 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Harry, I am drawn to the lichen splotches on the trunks.  I wonder about a tighter crop, possibly a vertical, to place attention on those larger trunks.  Or maybe a crop from the bottom to eliminate the brighter yellow ferns along the bottom which splits my eyes away from the reds (just my preferences and thoughts).

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/20/17 at 09:00 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Harry. Great light, color and scene. No suggestions, here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/20/17 at 11:43 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

This works well with the two horizontal bands of color and the vertical lines of the tree trunks. I also have to reduce the opacity with TK's sharpening actions. They way oversharpen if I don't. I use the "smart glow" action sometimes on Jpegs for NPN. Adds a nice subtle effect. Haven't tried it on a full size image.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Allen Brooks on 11/20/17 at 12:11 pm EST    
Registered on 07/27/11, 262 Posts, 2597 Comments

In comparing this to the one you posted in photo art, I find I like the glow of the foliage in the photo art presentation, but seem to prefer the more natural look of the trees in this photo.  Both are quite nice compositions.  

Allen Brooks
Oregon

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Allen Brooks Gallery of Allen Brooks

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 11/20/17 at 2:53 pm EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

I like both versions, Harry, but prefer this one as presenting the play of light and shade, on the shrubs especially, just that bit more effectively.  The complementary colours work exceptionally well in this image.

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Floyd Hopper on 11/20/17 at 7:23 pm EST    
Registered on 05/01/09, 652 Posts, 762 Comments

Beautiful color and exposure. Great detail of the lichens on  the trees.

naturequestphotography.com    Floyd Hopper
Atwater, Ca.
"Unlike a painter, a photographer starts with something finished and works backward" Anonymous

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Floyd Hopper Gallery of Floyd Hopper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/20/17 at 9:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

I gotta say this was a banner year for you and fall color!  This beautiful!  Impressed that this came out do well with the dappled sunlight - you did well to tame the highlights throughout - although one my suggestions would be to burn down the brighter ferns at the bottom.  I do like Dan's suggestion of a bottom crop; the resulting pano format seems like it would work well with this scene.
I also like the bands of color, and being tied together with all the tree trunks.  Wonderful image.

Also, thought I would let you know that I think the sharpening looks great!  Leaf scenes are the worst and often we tend to compensate with sharpening when many leaves are soft due to wind, dof, etc. (I'm totally guilty of this..)  So I think you've found a nice sharpening balance here.

Oh, and the PA Orton version is certainly artsy and looks good.  Have you tried the Orton(or TK Glow) effects at a low opacity?  I've used in the past to give an image a little bump.  Even a low opacity on the Orton layer of like 10% (give or take to taste) can add a nice touch to an image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/21/17 at 06:31 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Thanks Lon - I haven't tried the Make it Glow - It's different than Orton I guess, will give it a try an see what it does.

Doug - I think the crop idea would work - my only concern wa that it might leave the image as 1/2 greens, 1/2 reds - a little too static?  Though a balance might be fine for this type of shot.  Thanks.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/21/17 at 10:53 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is a flat out gorgeous scene, Harry. I particularly like the horizontal layers of red and green and the intersection of those bands with the vertical lines of the tree trunks. You definitely found some beautiful autumn color this year in your travels.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 11/22/17 at 02:25 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

The striking contrasts in colours between top and bottom works very well. Lovely how the way light falls, giving depth to the elements.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/22/17 at 11:05 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Harry, I think your processing has done a great job of presenting this as a view where glowing colors are what the image is all about.  In this version, there's a subtlety in that presentation while your PA version makes the glow highly dominant.  I do like how the PA version adds wom emphasis to the tree trunks and the lichen growing on them.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 11/22/17 at 9:01 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments
Comment last edited by Chris Chamberlain on 11/22/17 at 9:09 pm EST

Gorgeous! I love this comp and color. This works beautifully for me just as presented. The Otonized version is beautiful and dreamy as well for a PA image. Too much Orton for me for a natural presentation. Although it might work fine at a lower opacity.

I have been using a version of of glow effects on virtually all of my images over the last year or so.  I learned it from Mark Metternich. Although I think it is some alternate method of the one Marc Adamus uses or used. I apply it at a very low opacity of between 10 and 20 percent depending on the image.

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 11/24/17 at 1:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

Sweet layering on this beauty!

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership