Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Time to Reflect +crop
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 11/19/17 at 2:21 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 11/19/17 at 8:52 pm EST

First, thank you so much for your thoughts on my previous image. Wide variety of responses and reactions showing how much we all differ in our vision, experiences and perceptions.  Cool stuff.

Lame title I know.  Thought I would mix these up a little bit and post this one - although it happens to be next chronologically.  This was taken less than 30 min after the previous image.  As what usually happens in the valley as the sun rises and the valley warms, the fog and mist begin to dissipate; and by now the sun is way to hot on El Cap to be including it in any frames.  So I turn to the Merced and reflections.  These are the same brown-leaved black oak trees reflecting in the river that were part of the previous image.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on this one.  I'm a bit unsure about thinking there isn't really something, or enough to keep one interested or engaged for very long.  As always, your honest comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

Lon 

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Silvia Richter on 11/19/17 at 3:31 pm EST    
Registered on 02/27/11, 18 Posts, 167 Comments

Lon, I can imagine it was hard to resist capturing this picture as presented by nature. There are enough focal points to keep my attention. I just think about a different framing, as the main elements appear a bit weighted to the right in my opinion. Maybe cropping from the left closer to the darker trunks would make for a better balance. Just a thought. I understand it is difficult to sacrifice a single pixel of this amazing color palette.

Silvia

Silvia Richter
Vienna, Austria

All Photos and Comments by Silvia Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/19/17 at 4:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real nice color and scene.  I am liking Silvia's suggestion. I might take off about 1/3 of the left side left of the first dark reflected tree, if that makes sense.  I am thinking this one is quite engaging and like it!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/19/17 at 4:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The abstract nature of this works very well. The ripples in the river give the trunks a nice look, and the reds give this a warm look. I do agree with the previous comments regarding a crop from the left. I like this one.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/19/17 at 4:58 pm EST    

Thanks for the comments so far and the suggestion of a crop.  Interestingly I considered a slight crop off the left.  But I guess I'm not clear how much is being suggested.  The best way I can ask is: Are you talking about a crop that eliminates the first dark trunk (that spits in to two)? or just cropping closer to that dark trunk from the left edge.

Or, asked another way, are you suggesting 1/3 off the entire frame from the left? Or 1/3 the distance between the edge and the first dark trunk?

The good news is that with an abstract like this, you could do any number of crops and still have an abstract remaining.  So honestly any crop suggestion is a valid one!  ;-)

Thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Silvia Richter on 11/19/17 at 5:37 pm EST    
Registered on 02/27/11, 18 Posts, 167 Comments

So many possibilities! I meant to keep the first dark trunk, just left from "O" from "Overacker", if that makes sense ;-)

Silvia

Silvia Richter
Vienna, Austria

All Photos and Comments by Silvia Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/19/17 at 8:51 pm EST    

Got it. Thanks for the clarification Silvia and Harley too.  Here's a repost.  I also came up from the bottom a little as well to help keep a similar format ratio.  Also ended up cloning a little where the black spot was.

Small and subtle changes, but an effective crop, I think.  thanks for the suggestion!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 11/19/17 at 10:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Lon,
This is really gorgeous and I prefer the cropped version. The colors are so much of what I saw in Yosemite this fall, just a pale hint of rust. The greens mixed in make this a very appealing scene. I might even try bumping them up a bit, along with the blues, but ever so subtly. The softness, almost pastels, in contrast with the dark trunks is what appeals to me. Just lovely.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 11/19/17 at 11:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Exquisite image, Lon.  As much as I liked the original post, the repost with the cropping makes for a much stronger image, in my opinion, with the design of the tree trunks a bit bolder amongst the wonderful splash of color.  I could see pushing the color a little but that is purely a personal preference.  Outstanding seeing as usual and another superb image.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Erhardt on 11/20/17 at 04:03 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 245 Posts, 2421 Comments

I'll be the contrarian and say I like the original better.  IMO, the ripples on the surface of the water add "fine texture" to the original, where that is somewhat lost on the cropped version. Also, I like the reflection in the ULC, which gets cut in the cropped version. I just don't think there's anything in the original composition that is worth losing.

In any case, I wouldn't kick either out of my portfolio
.  enlightened

Jim Erhardt     |     NPN 1     |   Bedford, New Hampshire U.S.A.     |     editor@naturephotographers.net

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Erhardt Gallery of Jim Erhardt

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 11/20/17 at 04:05 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

Lon ...very well seen, and love the fine art in here. While silvias suggestion is good ..i like this as is too. very well seen

Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/20/17 at 05:01 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like them both. I think the original may be a tad better overall. Well no, not really. They both have their strong points. I can see why one would like one or the other.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/20/17 at 07:46 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The crop works for me. Nothing wrong with the original, but I prefer the tighter composition. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 11/20/17 at 08:55 am EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Lon, nice to look at both versions.  If I saw either framed and hung on a wall I would walk over to look closer, they call my visual attention. Now I have to look at the previous image. Nice work!

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 11/20/17 at 09:43 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Lon: The crop looks good to me. Beautiful scene superbly rendered.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/21/17 at 11:17 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I think you nailed it with the repost, Lon. The slightly tighter crop places even more of a focus on the abstractness of the scene. I think this is a very engaging image with the earth tones and the ripples in the water have created some wonderful pockets of color and textures. Great eye to spot this one.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/25/17 at 1:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

An interesting and mysterious image Lon. Really captures my interest. Photos like this one stir the mind and I have to say I enjoy the process of taking it all in. 

Look forward to seeing more of your new work.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 11/25/17 at 1:59 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Wonderfully impressionistic image, Lon.  The crop works!
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership