Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Big Picture
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 11/18/17 at 9:11 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Large Image with Expansion Button

Thought I would post the big picture of the Carrabassett River Valley image I recently posted.  This was the view that originally got my attention, minus some trees that obstructed this view from the road.  I could see the distant reflection when sunlit, and thought it warranted further exploration.  I don't generally go into much about processing, but this worked easily for me using a potentially high contrast scene that you might think would normally require a split ND filter.

This is a single exposure from a RAW, that I processed 2x for the dynamic range.  After composing, I exposed to get a little clipping of the highlights on my LCD - slightly blinking highlights.  This rendered plenty of detail in the shadows, without the need to try and recover them in Post processing.  Since the LCD image is a jpeg rendering, I knew that the RAW file would contain enough info. to pull the highlights back in.  I processed the base image using the original exposure, dialing back the exposure a little, since I didn't want the shadows to appear to light.  In the 2nd process of the RAW, I just reduce the exposure, highlights and whites a little from the original conversion, layered it under the base exposure, and used the erasure tool to paint in the brighter half of the image - essentially the left side on a diagonal left corner to right corner. I did take another image as insurance but didn't need it. Heavy bracketing seems to be a thing of the past, in most cases.

D810, 24-120mm @24, f13, ISO 64

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/18/17 at 9:49 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Classic, and it does not appear to be near golden hour either.
As far as the processing, I do pretty much the same except only process once. ( I do not know what you mean by processing twice).
If I expose even a midday scene properly with just some blinkies, I recover in Camera raw, and process in PS6 using normal masking, nothing very technical.
Everything in your photo appears exposed properly and a nice traditional comp.
The sharpness looks better in this compressed web photo also, not sure if you changed anything.
It is not that big a thing anyway for web posting, I am sure most people's normal files look fine anyway.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/18/17 at 10:06 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 11/18/17 at 10:09 pm EST

So Dan, to process the raw × 2: process the image as you normally do, save as tiff and ACR closes. Then go back and open that RAW file again, if the prior adjustment setting don't load, select previous conversion in drop down menu. Then make adjustments for highlights, shadows, what ever you don't think was adequately represented in prior raw conversion. Save this version under a new name. You can then layer them to keep the best of each conversion. If you can render highlights, shadows fine in one conversion, no need to do any of this. I often find this easier than trying to blend 2 exposures that are 1 or 1.5 stops different in exposure. Just one way of going about it.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/19/17 at 08:16 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful color and classic blue sky with clouds fall scene. Processing looks spot on and image looks real sweet. As they, picture postcard!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/19/17 at 2:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

What a gorgeous location and conditions. You've captured a wonderful autumn landscape image.  The colors, including the picture perfect blue sky and clouds are beautiful.  Compositionally, the view down river gently pulls you in to the scene surrounded by beauty on both sides.  Even on the right, there is enough detail in the shadows to add to the scene.

The previous image was of course a more intimate one, but both of these are just simply fantastic fall scenes. Love 'em.

Since I've mentioned sharpening a few times and you've mentioned you're still trying to nail it down, I thought I would add my .02.  First though, I've received comments about crunchiness too, so I may not be an expert here.  But I also use TK's Web sharpening tool (the v4 panel I believe.)  You mentioned trying various opacity settings down to 75 from 100.  Well, I actually have had mine set at 50 for as long as I've been using the panel.  My horizontal images I usually set for a 1200px length.  I've found that I still have to tweak the layers after the tool runs because I think most times the image is still over sharpened. Of course every image is going to be different.  But for almost every image, I also reduce the opacity of the Sharpen #2 layer.  I don't know what is happening technically, but this layer seems to increase the finer details - too much some times, so I back this layer off some.  Of course you have to open the TK Web Sharpen group to get to that Sharpen #2 layer. Attached is a screenshot, which I'm sure I don't need to include - although there may be some that don't have Tony's action panel.
Anyway, research continues as they say....

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/19/17 at 4:22 pm EST    

Thanks Lon - I will give that a go.  I was using TK's Basic Module that contained the Web Sharpening Action, but I think it is very similar to the ones you are referring to.  I did get his V5 modules, haven't had time to dive into those.  A little intimidating compared to my normal workflow, but maybe those web sharpening actions are a bit different.  I will try reducing the 2nd sharpening down to 50% and see how it goes.  Thanks for the screenshot.  I'm not sure why these issues seem to have popped up as of late vs. images 5 years ago.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/19/17 at 5:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Nicely done, Harry. The light here is very challenging, and your processing paid off handily. The color is gorgous, and the composition works very well.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Hutchison on 11/19/17 at 6:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/17, 3 Posts, 22 Comments

Interesting process for the post flow.  Thanks for sharing. 

My main comment is the blue in the sky seems a bit pale.  Did you use a polarizer?  Not sure if you know this adjustment but try the HSL in Lightroom, then Hue, then the little icon right under hue.  Then put the cursor on the blue sky and pull up and down and see how the blue changes.  You might be surprised.  Let us know if you try the adjustment.  I would be very interested.

Otherwise beautiful image and well composed.

Dave Hutchison Images
Image Quest Photo Tours
Sidney, BC Canada
www.davehutchison.ca

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Hutchison Gallery of Dave Hutchison

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/19/17 at 7:00 pm EST    

Hi Dave - I didn't use a polarizer.  I didn't want any heavy dark - light shift in the blue sky using a wide angle lens.  Would have reduced the reflection color too.  I don't have Lightroom, so i don't see that adjustment option, though I can easily adjust the hue of the cyans and blues that make up the sky.  I guess I am a little cautious not to over darken the  blues, as the light source is coming from the upper right.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 11/20/17 at 11:46 am EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Harry, Great job.  Super colors with just the right amount of saturation.  Composition is flawless from my point of view. Keep up the good work!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership