Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Bathed in Autumn
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 11/17/17 at 6:51 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I came upon this beautiful stretch of the Carrabassett River Valley during some explorations in Maine this fall. Rivaling anything I have found along the popular Swift River along NH's Kanc., but completely devoid of photographers.  I spent about 2 hours wandering sections of the river, and settled on this tighter view that maximized the color and mix of reflections.  I focused stacked 3 images at 110mm for sharpness, waiting until sun gradually poke out from clouds to illuminate the trees while keeping the river in the shade.  Normally at this time of day, sun would have hit the river as well and diminished the reflection color.
D810, 24-120mm, f16 each shot, iSO 64, 1/10 sec each.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 11/17/17 at 7:43 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Remarkably beautiful; technically fantastic.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 11/17/17 at 9:24 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Splendid color and reflection Harry!  Very crisp presentation as well.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/18/17 at 09:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful colors and reflection. Great to find a beautiful spot you can enjoy with solitude. Sweet!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 11/18/17 at 12:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Harry: As an unrepentant color junkie this really floats my boat. Beautiful scene superbly rendered.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 11/18/17 at 1:29 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Oh wow, this is gorgeous, Harry!  The colors are beautiful, and that reflection just makes the shot even more splendid!  Just enough movement in the water to make it look painterly. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/18/17 at 1:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

OH MY - those color are gorgeous and the reflection (including the arrangement of boulders) really puts this over the top.

I don't know why this came to mind, but of course you remember the old Batman and Robin tv series?  "Pow!", "Bang!" "Shazaam!..."  I can just see those little comment bubbles popping up from your image...  enlightened

I wonder if it's just me, but on some of your images I often think the sharpening is a little much.  I think the case here.  It's not overly so, but just enough to make a comment.

Otherwise, this is simply fantastic.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Silvia Richter on 11/18/17 at 2:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/27/11, 18 Posts, 167 Comments

Harry, I enjoy the autumn colors and especially the interplay of the scattered pattern of the rocks and the reflection.

Silvia

Silvia Richter
Vienna, Austria

All Photos and Comments by Silvia Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/18/17 at 2:22 pm EST    

I know what you mean Lon about the crunchiness. I'm trying TK sharpening for web actions at various opacaties but maybe it's my images at these sizes. Not sure what the problem or answer is. Definitely worse with finer detail images.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/18/17 at 2:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 11/18/17 at 2:47 pm EST

What a riot of colors. I especially like them in the reflections. The fact that the different colors are separate and that blocks of green separate the warm colors is great and likely no accident in the composition. The composition is interesting in that it's like the quill of an arrow: everything leans right from the center shoreline. It looks as though there may have been some fine compositions of rocks and reflections in the river. I don't know if that's your cup of tea. The rocks seem to be suspended in color. A really fine image. No suggestions.

PS. I don't see the crunchiness in this image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/18/17 at 3:25 pm EST    

Igor - I would have liked to make some rock and water only shots, but the water was pretty deep getting to them, so my only option was to try and elevate myself above the river to shoot down and create some separation between the rock elements and the water.  Yes, this section of river had a nice alternating blend of color that may have been better than if all the foliage was at peak.  I'm thinking the lower reflection is my favorite part of the shot.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Kennedy on 11/18/17 at 8:17 pm EST    
Registered on 03/09/09, 79 Posts, 676 Comments

Beautiful colors Harry!  Nice comp and love the reflection.  It's hard to believe no other photographers were there.

Steve Kennedy
Maple Valley, WA
PNWNP Moderator

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Kennedy Gallery of Steve Kennedy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/19/17 at 5:33 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Harry, this is really spectacular fall color! You mentioned in your response to my post about the Carrabassett not having the cascades like the Swift, but the distorted reflection makes this image for me. I am always attracted to the patterns of flowing water and love the look of longer exposure water, but I really need to start looking for these slow stretches of river as well.

As for the sharpening, the larger version does look ever-so-slightly crunchy. I responded to your post on my photo, but here it is again: I do use the TK sharpening, and for most of my posts, I export 2 images: 1200px and 720px and use 50% for the layer opacity. For images with very fine detail like this one, I'll go down to 40%. This is without any sharpening prior to exporting the final web image.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/19/17 at 6:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Harry, this is fabulous! The composition, color and processing a spot-on. In looking at the large image, the foliage looks slightly crunchy, but the rocks in the water are not. I have had trouble in the past sharpening images with many small details like clumps of leaves. I too, use TK's Web sharpening actions, and my settings are identical to Craig's.

This image truly rocks!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Hutchison on 11/19/17 at 6:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/17, 3 Posts, 22 Comments

Hi Harry,
I read the other comments and going to go out on a limb.  When I first viewed the image, my eye went straight to the centre line of rocks.  I would suggest cropping out a bit of bottom of the image to offset the rocks line in the centre.  Try it and see what it looks like.

Dave Hutchison Images
Image Quest Photo Tours
Sidney, BC Canada
www.davehutchison.ca

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Hutchison Gallery of Dave Hutchison

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 11/20/17 at 01:11 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Fantastic image, love the colors, the reflections and scattered rocks. Feel a little cheated that the center red tree is not in full view, though.  

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership