Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Room with a View
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 11/16/17 at 12:31 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 11/27/17 at 11:57 am EST

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions on my previous post!

Shortly after the last image was taken, Kyle and I headed down from Tunnel View to one of my favorite spots in the Valley.  And despite the 4 MILLION+ people that visit this valley every year, there are places in the valley where it's quite easy to feel like you're the only soul on the planet viewing such grandeur. My guess is the 99% of the people that visit the park don't stop and spend time here as they are off to more famous locations; which is fine by me.

Mornings after a storm are glorious in the valley. The fog was still rolling, mist rising, creating boundless opportunities.  We spent a good 2 hours here exploring up and down the river with an eye on El Capitan most of the time.  I'm usually looking for the intimate and different views, but was not going to pass up what was happening before me.

This is a 2-image stich.  I only had the 28-300mm on the camera and knew I wanted a wider view than what I could get, so I combined 2 verticals.

I would love to hear your comments, critiques and suggestions.

Thank you!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/16/17 at 12:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is real nice, Lon. It is not quite like I remember it looking, but ........ sad  I have been doing a scroll crop and have thoughts of cropping the top to eliminate the large blue patch. It brings me more into the reflection. I go back and forth on it. Either way, quite a fine view. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/16/17 at 1:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I would have called this "Two Worlds". The large version is a must see. My laptop doesn't fit the large version so I get to see the top half and the bottom half separately. And they are remarkably different. The upper world could be an image by itself because the face of El Cap is rendered so beautifully. The reflection is truly an under world. Mysterious, it draws you into it's darkness. When you look at the image as a whole it feels like the lower left area is a bit too dark. I just wonder if raising the shadows in the entire reflection would be a good idea. It's really a very good image and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Just trying to say something unique about it. BTW, it has the "Harley tilt" to the right, I think.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 11/16/17 at 2:59 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Loving it, Lon.  I do wish there was more color, or at least green, in the trees, but there's not much you could have done about that, I guess, LOL.  There are two things that really draw me in and make this image appealing to me.  One, the blue sky brightens and helps overcome the drabness of the tree color and, two, the rock face itself.  Being a rock freak, I'm agog at the beauty of the rock face, the color variations, and the "flow" of the rock itself.  That is incredibly pretty in the large view.  Amazingly, out of all the images I've seen of El Cap, I've never seen one from this angle or with so much color variation visible.  The usual shot is at sunset/sunrise and the face looks golden, but I prefer this "more honest" take on the colors.  You've done well with this!  Very well.

I forgot to mention, I really enjoy the reflection of the rock face too.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/16/17 at 4:37 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Love the moments when a storm clears, and this showcases that fleeting time.  Might brighten the shadows in the reflection, a little too dark for me.  Do wish I could see the whole wall of rock to see what was going on there, but maybe clouded in.  Feels very balanced with the square format and water line mid image.  Someday I'll get to Yosemite to see it for myself - maybe winter.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 11/16/17 at 5:38 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Wonderful to see a different view of El Cap, especially one that is so beautiful!  It's really refreshing and encouraging that you can still find original views, and even ones that are not full of people.  I just had to laugh when I saw Harley's comment, because my very first impression on opening the the large image and scrolling down to see it all was how much I enjoyed looking at the bottom 3/4, viewing the rock face only in the reflection.  In fact I was wondering it you captured a bit more of the sides in your two frames, so it would make a horizontal 5x4 composition with the whole bottom, but cropping the top a bit above the tree tops.  Not that there is anything at all wrong with this square composition; it has it all, and every inch is gorgeous.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/16/17 at 7:55 pm EST    

Thanks for the comments, suggestions and observations thus far. Much appreciated - and always awesome when we can improve our images.

I agree the reflection is a bit dark, especially the LL quadrant.  I've tweaked that up in my master file.

Regarding the two halves or two worlds, I see that as well.  I'm kicking myself too now because I normally size my verticals/sq to max 1000px on the vertical. This time I went 1100px, almost insuring vertical scrolling.  This happens to me whenever I view any image where I have to scroll vertically to piece it all together - I think by default we end up seeing in sections or crops simply because the image is broken in parts.  When I see an image pop up whole without any scrolling, I think that certainly provides a more natural impression than seeing it in parts by scrolling.  At least that's what I think. It's still perfectly valid to consider a crop depending on what you like best about an image.

Yes, the top of El Cap was enshrouded in clouds - plus the fact at 28mm there was no way to include everything (Yes, I could stitch in rows, but I'm not that sophisticated - I'm still trying to get focus stacking down...)

I too really like the face of El Cap, and it's reflection.  Truthfully, the colors on the rock face are boosted slightly - I still try and maintain believability, but continue pushing the edge.

Bill - yeah, I wish there were more color in the trees as well.  It was a down year for the black oak as most of them just went brown - no intermediate colors.  We were too late for most of the Big Leaf Maple and other deciduous, still, pretty hard to complain about color in a place like this.

I'm pretty sure this is level, although I can't be certain.  I think what you might be seeing Igor is the horizon line of the grass/tree line. To the right, it looks pretty level. To the left of center, there's definitely a slant.  I'm gonna go with  the notion that the meadow grasses and treeline to the left are receding, also advancing towards the river bank, creating a narrow triangle that makes it looks like it's sloped?  Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  A keen observation for sure.

Good stuff, thanks for your comments!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/16/17 at 11:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

This is really good Lon, one of your best for me.
I think the square crop works although for some reason (maybe the curved shore), it seems a bit constricted.
The muted colors are nice....

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/17/17 at 09:31 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, I love the light, the fog and the trees in this. The glass-like reflection is also very beautiful.

This next isn't really a critique, just something I noticed and now can't un-see. Overall, the image has a slightly distorted fisheye appearance to me. As I look at it more, I do think it's an optical illusion, because the grass/tree line is straight, but the river edge below it is wider in the middle, and then the treetops create an arch shape above and mirrored arch below. As nobody else has mentioned this, it's probably just in my head.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/17/17 at 10:50 am EST    

Craig,

YES, I saw that too and glad in a way that someone else sees it too.  It's a combo of things I think.  Certainly the shoreline that juts out a little in the middle. Then combined with the curved tops of the oaks - and their reflect accentuates that feeling.  I do get that fish-eye sense, but not the distorted one that you might see from a fish-eye view of a stadium or something.

Thanks for the comment and keen observation.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/17/17 at 5:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I really like this, Lon. It shows the grandeur of Yosemite very nicely. I think that rather than cropping the patch of blue sky in the URC, you could darken a bit. The reflection may be a little dark, especially the blue in LRC. The detail in the reflection shows up much better in the large version. Nicely done!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Hutchison on 11/17/17 at 6:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/17, 3 Posts, 22 Comments

Hi Lon,

After looking at the image a second time I am wondering what the scene would look like horizontal.  I don't know the location so I don't know if it is possible but that is what my mind is telling me.  Otherwise, nice clear, sharp reflection.

Dave Hutchison Images
Image Quest Photo Tours
Sidney, BC Canada
www.davehutchison.ca

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Hutchison Gallery of Dave Hutchison

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 11/17/17 at 9:44 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Stunning capture Lon!  I especially like the contrast ans color.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 11/18/17 at 10:24 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Lon, a true masterpiece!!! It brings me back to the first time I saw this majestic place, I felt I was in heaven. I think the misty clouds make all the difference here and nice that you were able to see it during a time of tranquility. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 11/20/17 at 09:41 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Lon: Wonderful scene superbly captured. I'm pretty much OK with everything as is. You can confirm it's level by drawing a vertical line from some feature on El Cap to its corresponding point on the reflection. This looks good to me although if you wanted to be anal about it it's tilted clockwise about .4° angel. Marvelous shot.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/27/17 at 3:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I'm glad to see this picked by the editors. In hindsight I think I was too critical of it. Yesterday, in a restaurant of all places, I was thinking about your recent images and decided that this was probably the best. Congrats.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/27/17 at 5:50 pm EST    

Thanks for the pick!  And thank you Igor - that was a very nice thing to say.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership