Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Last One + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 11/14/17 at 2:04 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 11/15/17 at 1:09 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm
f 18 @ 1/6 sec.
ISO 200
MLU
cable release & tripod
Acadia NP, ME

I am just about out of tarn images so the next post will probably be of something else. This is another from the chilly morning where we were able to catch some mist on The Tarn. This might give you a better representation of the place as this shows the base of Dorr Mountain.

As always thanks for taking the time to look and leave a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 11/14/17 at 2:36 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Wow, Ed, where have you been hiding this one?  This is fantastic.  The rocks and trees in the BG are nice but they don't really excite me.  The grasses, the water, the lily pads, the mist, etc. however absolutely excites me.  The more expansive view really makes this for me.  What a grand scene!  Would love to see this big and in print.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/14/17 at 2:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I agree with Bill. The grasses have a Monet look to them in some areas. I think the 2 parts of the image clash with one another in mood.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/14/17 at 3:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the broader view, which goes to show us there is beauty both in the unknown, more intimate views as well as the more practical bigger picture.  Both have merit and stand on their own.

What I find fascinating here, and Igor mentions the 2 parts, is the clarity up top compared to the soft, misty bottom.  I could easily see that there can be a disconnect between the two.  For me though together they help complete the story of the place; I get a sense and a connection as if I were standing there.  This is wonderful in its own right.

Wonderful processing as well.  Sorry to hear this is the last of the series... :-(

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 11/14/17 at 3:44 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments
Comment last edited by Ed Williams on 11/15/17 at 12:38 am EST

Ed, I like this one best. I love the ground fog rising softly through the grassy tarn set against the crisp rocks and bright trees. It transports me there in a way. 

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/14/17 at 5:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am a bit of Igor's thoughts on this. But probably more in that the top area feels a little cutoff to my eye. I might be inclined to crop about 1/4 of the background area from the top and see how that works? Beautiful scene either way. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 11/14/17 at 6:01 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

My favorite. I keep looking at the two parts.  They easily stand on their own, but I prefer both together as presented. I agree with Lon.  It does complete the story of this location. Perhaps just one more tarn image?

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 11/14/17 at 7:08 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

A wee cracker this one.  Love the bottom section and I agree with the Monet observations.  I like the larger scale view here.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/14/17 at 7:44 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I remember climbing over those rocks in the back and thinking those grasses and water would look really nice when the sun hot Dorr Mnt in the AM and cast that nice light on the scene you captured.  The mist is a nice touch as is the hi key feel.  I think I prefer the tighter images you've showcased earlier but this is a nice mix for the group.  The areas of reflected trees mingling with the grasses is especially nice.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 11/15/17 at 01:30 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Ed, this image is a kind of a "story behind the picture" for me. My only wish would be to see the lower part as a composition on its own, it would make for an outstanding piece of art on my opinion.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/15/17 at 1:08 pm EST    

Here is a repost with the suggested crop that a few of you suggested. I was already zoomed out to 200mm so I could not get any tighter. I already had a couple of just the reeds so I thought this view would give a better sense of the place.

Lon & Jim: I have a few more that I can post. I thought everyone might be getting tired of them; although I hope that was not the case. cool

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/15/17 at 2:23 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Ed Lowe on 11/15/17 at 2:24 pm EST

Here is Harley's crop suggestion. Any preferences?

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/15/17 at 8:27 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Very nice, Ed.  I like the comp for the purposes you mentioned.  I think I like Harley's crop the best.  It's nice to see how your other images have come together, but I do like a little less background.  Keep em coming.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/18/17 at 09:38 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like both crops and they are so different it is difficult for me to compare them. The pano version is very Monet and very beautiful. The previous crop really nicely tightens the original crop, and nice conveys the sense of place and season. I like them equally and cannot pick a favorite. They are just different. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/19/17 at 6:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The second repost works best for me, although I do like the intimate crop with just the misty tran. The processing is wondrful, and I like the gentle light and contrast.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership