Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

1st Light - Acadia
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 11/14/17 at 08:53 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 11/18/17 at 05:16 am EST

A cold crisp sunrise atop Acadia's Cadillac Mountain.  While I was hoping for a dramatic sky, I felt the rest of the image was busy enough that a simple but colorful sky worked well with the image.  Strong winds pushed me to 640 ISO, f13, 16mm, D810.  Two exposures were blended for dynamic range.  I realized that I needed to arrive at the summit 2 hours before sunrise just to find a parking spot at the summit, or park lower on the mountain and hike, which I had to do on an occasion before I figured out how early people got up there just for parking, and sat in there cars for 2 hours!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/14/17 at 09:02 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Even without the sky, this is one of the nicest Cadillac Mtn images I've seen. That blueberry just glows.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/14/17 at 09:08 am EST    

Thanks Michael, that means a lot considering how well you know the area. They sure due glow with backlighting.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 11/14/17 at 11:37 am EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

The color of the leaves is amazing...at first I thought it was wildflowers. Gorgeous image, and the simple sky does make a nice backdrop for the leaves and rocks. The evergreen is just in the right place. Worth the 2 hour wait for us to see such a lovely image.
Thanks!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/14/17 at 1:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Wow! This is breath taking.  The combination of elements give this image depth on top of the gorgeous landscape.  Even though I'm not there and have never been, I appreciate and understand the experience of standing there and watching it all unfold - as if I were standing at Tunnel View - or any other special location.

Agree, the simple sky, as well as how much you chose to include, adds to the scene, but doesn't take it over.   A grand view that you've captured masterfully.  Scrumptious (can't say I've ever used that one before...)

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/14/17 at 1:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like this image very much. It will be a fine addition to your internet gallery which contains many good images. It's all about light and color here for me. The red blueberry leaves really jump out at you but because there is so much luminosity in all of the fg plants it doesn't seem inappropriate. Even the luminous sea with those dark headlands is inviting. There is a lot for the eye to explore to explore in this image and that's very enjoyable. Not much to suggest here. There is a small patch of yellow to the left of the tree which I seem to compulsively drawn to, but I think that's all in my head really. There may be just a tad of haloing where the two images were merged but I'm not sure about that either. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/14/17 at 2:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is absolutely gorgeous work, Harry. The FG vegetation has such a wonderful glow and is not overpowered by the sunrise. Did you happen to get any images of just the vegetation? I think that could also stand alone without the sunrise. It can be a madhouse on Cadillac and other spots in the park anymore. Mike and I have started pursuing other spots in the park for photography just to get away from some of the crowds. Glad to see you finally made it to Acadia.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/14/17 at 3:39 pm EST    

Thanks Ed, will visit again ad it really that far a drive. I found some of the other summits are very photogenic, just no rd to the top. Logistically a bit of a commitment.  I didn't try to isolate the foliage except for a couple of images such as my last post. Wanted to try and use fog to help create a boarder for the image. Probably could crop the sky and the distant hills might provide a muted backdrop. Maybe I'll post a different sunrise shot with your suggestion. Most folks and even the photographers I saw were not will to stray from the immediate summit area, so I had lots of comp options with short hikes below the summit. Areas has much better colors and not trampled by thousands of feet. Someone was flying a drone above me, i was going to confiscate it but luckily for them they were gone by the time i was back to summit. Illegal in NP. Saw it in Grand Canyon too. Another pet peeve  i noticed at Acadia and elsewhere in relation to increased visitation that I'll bring up in a future post.

Thanks for the look.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 11/14/17 at 6:58 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments
Comment last edited by Doug Koepsel on 11/14/17 at 6:58 pm EST

Harry, sometimes an understated sky lets the features of the land be the show, as in the case of this image.  To me, the reds seem a little too punchy though.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 11/14/17 at 8:05 pm EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

Gorgeous image. No wonder why the parking there is busy.

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Kennedy on 11/14/17 at 11:18 pm EST    
Registered on 03/09/09, 79 Posts, 676 Comments

Beautiful image Harry!  The understated sky goes very well in this shot.  The foreground in particular is outstanding.  Love the light and colors.  Nice job on the blend.  Well done!

Steve Kennedy
Maple Valley, WA
PNWNP Moderator

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Kennedy Gallery of Steve Kennedy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/15/17 at 09:19 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful color and light. You really nailed this one. The sky works well with it, too. Real nice work. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 11/15/17 at 11:11 am EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

Wonderful russet hues, Harry, in a beautifully composed scene.  The wealth of detail, as well as the colour, reminds me of Pre-Raphaelite paintings.

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 11/15/17 at 1:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

It ALL works for me, Harry, gorgeous!

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/15/17 at 8:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

A dark beauty....
I actually really like the sky, a nice compliment to the vegetation which is the star.
The diagonal clouds  help focus the image.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/15/17 at 8:11 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Beautiful image, Harry.  Love the fore color and the comp is spot on for conditions.  I'm afraid the most iconic places are getting loved to death.  I have been to Zion once this year, there are just too many people.  There are too many gorgeous places around that have no people, or at the least very few.  I was at one of my favorite spots earlier this year that is for the most part a sunrise location.  I was camped and enjoying a cocktail with the evening glow when two brand new shiny black suburbans can speeding in.  Eight photogs with tripods poured out and two guys with drones.  They spent about ten minutes, loaded up, and disappeared as fast as they came. It seems there are no sacred places anymore.  The push to get something up on social media is an all consuming quest for way too many people.  Sorry about the rant,  very nice work.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/19/17 at 6:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Very nice, indeed, Harry. The blues in the sky contrast nicely with the reds and yellows. The processing look great. You did well in challenging light.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership