Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Good Morning Yosemite
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 11/12/17 at 1:30 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 11/12/17 at 1:31 pm EST

Thanks for your comments on my previous image. Excellent observations.

Here is another from the same morning, about 1.5 hours later.  I was up so early I had time to visit 2 iconic viewpoints!  AND even made it back to Tunnel view for the actual sunrise.

I took some suggestions from the previous post and kept the sky a bit darker, even though this is closer to sunrise; also there was less influence from the full moon because of the clouds/fog and also the moon had dropped lower towards the horizon by now.

This is cropped to a pano since I didn't execute good enough to get any detail in the river and foreground from this spot.  (It was still quite dark anyway.)  for me, these night/star images are kind of an novelty.  I don't get overly excited about night images, although I can say with certainty that the experience of being alone under the stars, a full moon, clearing storm... in Yosemite... IS the experience, the camera is there at these hours simply to pass the time... ;-)

Hope this one works a little better and comes closer to representing the time of day and conditions.  Your thoughts, critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Lon

oh, forgot to mention.  I didn't notice til now, but I like how the clouds "roughly" mimic the profile of the valley.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/12/17 at 2:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like it. Very dreamy. The stars seem to look more appropriate in this one for me. The light matches it far better. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Allen Brooks on 11/12/17 at 5:47 pm EST    
Registered on 07/27/11, 262 Posts, 2597 Comments

I like the sense of motion in the clouds against the dark blue sky and the hint of first light on the mountains.

Allen Brooks
Oregon

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Allen Brooks Gallery of Allen Brooks

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/12/17 at 7:23 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Everything matches up rather nicely in this version, Lon. The overall image is darker and seems more realistic with the stars in the sky and the movement in the clouds adds a lot to this wonderful scene. Looks like an awesome way to start the day!

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/13/17 at 8:52 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I do like the overall appearance of this one a bit better than the last.  It had to be a wonderful morning being alone with this in front of you.  Awesome.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/14/17 at 2:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like this more than the previous image where I found it hard to imagine seeing clouds in the night sky. 

I don't have much experience with these really long exposures and am not sure how I feel about what they do to clouds. I came across a photographer shooting an image at Oregon's Sparks Lake. We started talking about places to shoot and equipment, etc. He finally looks at his watch and tells me that he has 10 minutes to go. Turns out during all this time he was making a single long exposure. He claimed that that was the champagne of image taking. He had this virtually black filter that allowed him to make 45 minute exposures. 

In this image it would have been nice if the cloud/fog hadn't drifted over the bridalveil falls vicinity.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 11/25/17 at 2:19 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Hi Lon,
I too like the mood of this one more than the preceding one.  I thought I had already commented on it, but I guess not.  I like the blueness of it, which works well with the stars.  I can imagine a slight crop off the right side (where the tree sticks up).  That grabs the eye, but I don't think it is intended to. 

I'm curious about the shutter speed on this.  For me, a particular shutter speed begins to blur the clouds but creates a kind of stutter effect that is not ideal.  This image has that slight stutter in the clouds (less so than may images with a pronounced stutter in the blur), and I think stopped down with a second or two longer might make the clouds more pleasing.  Would that have blurred the stars though?  Probably so.  Given the time of day, clouds, stars, and rapidly changing light, this is still captivating for me.  I'm a fool for a blue mood!

ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership