Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Tunnel View by Moonlight
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 11/10/17 at 1:46 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 11/10/17 at 4:44 pm EST

Thanks so much for the comments on my previous image.  In the past I've sometimes presented images in chronological order. I may or may not finish in order, but for now, this is the next image after the previous sunset image.  I don't sleep very well, and when on a photo trip, it's even worse. This trip was no exception.  After tossing and turning, by 3:30 AM I said screw it, I'm heading to the valley. But wait, this is the day of the Daylight savings switch, it's actually 2:30 now.... Maybe with the passing storm, possible snow and light from a full moon, there was a chance for awesome conditions. I was set up and ready to photograph by 3:15. I was the only soul at Tunnel View. It was awesome. For the next 3 hours I watched the fog come and go on the valley floor and engulf El Capitan and Bridal Veil falls; the clouds zoomed overhead with the occasional mist or rain drop; the moon danced among the clouds lighting the valley below.

This is only the 2nd or 3rd time I've photographed at night.  First time I've ever posted, so go easy on me.  The RAW file is horrific; very, very noisy and soft.  I learned after the fact from Harley that I should have the long exposure NR set on my camera. I did not.
I don't normally provide the technicals (I should more often,) but with the night photography I thought I should:
Nikon D800E, Nikon 28-300mm @32mm
ISO 1600
f/5.6 @ 15sec
NIKs noise reduction and RAW presharpener in post, among other layers.

Lastly, there is so much about this that is cliche and over done; the starry night images (sorry, no Milky Way here..) night time moon lit landscape - all from one of the most iconic locations in the world.  But I didn't care.  I was the only soul in the world standing there for those glorious moments.  By 6 AM or so there was a good 50 or so folks awaiting sunrise.

Sorry for the novel.  Just wanted to share the image and the experience.  Thanks for any comments or tips on night photography!

Lon

Edit: Thanks for catching that Harley.  I spent time at both locations that morning.  But this is certainly Tunnel View

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/10/17 at 2:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments
Comment last edited by Harley Goldman on 11/11/17 at 11:06 am EST

Beautiful. I hate to say it, but I think I would prefer it with the stars cloned out, as I find them distracting and out of place give the daylight look to the image. But great conditions and great image. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/10/17 at 3:23 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Cliche or not ( I don't think it is BTW) it's a beautiful shot.  Respect Harley's opinion a lot, but I would be tempted to leave the stars in the image. Might be tempted to darken the lower portion of the sky to take away a bit of the daytime look. IMHO

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/10/17 at 11:00 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I can offer no advice on night photography, Lon.  I do like the image however.  To me it's more about a journey to experience the places we love in as many conditions as we possibly can.  To experiment with new ideas and techniques and expand our bag of tricks.  Everyone with an Iphone can take nice pictures, but they can't do this.  I spend alot of sleepless nights myself,  perhaps it's time to learn some night stuff.sad

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/10/17 at 11:42 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I am intrigued with what you have done here, Lon. The solitude had to have been a real joy and to witness the ever changing conditions were the icing on the cake. I have limited experience with night images, but I could see this a bit darker, particularly the sky. You may be able to play around with curves to accomplish that. I watched a video a couple of weeks ago, but do not remember the name. If I can recall who it was I will let you know as this is certainly worth tweeking a bit more. I hope you have some more to post.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 11/11/17 at 02:54 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Love the narrative love the 15 s shot.  Great balance with the clouds the fog is fantastic too, El Cap looks ready for the day. Good capture, Lon. 

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/11/17 at 3:28 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Thanks for the backstory. Hey, if you can't sleep - no better place to be than communing with the landscape. 

This is a fascinating image, Lon. I really like the way the clouds seem to ring the scene. 15 sec shutter worked well to show some movement in the clouds while still retaining some texture. Processing looks good to me, although El Cap looks a bit bright and I could see burning it down just a touch.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 11/13/17 at 3:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Your excitement at spending time alone at night with the camera is contagious, and I have also felt that way the few times I have done it. I think for a first pass at night photography this is outstanding.  One of the biggest challenges is getting the lens wide open for the stars and focused on infinity, while also getting the closer subjects in focus, like El Cap in yours. I guess that's where focus stacking comes in, or multiple exposures at different times of day, etc. There is always so much to learn!
Thanks for sharing this. I think I prefer this one to the later image you posted.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/13/17 at 5:15 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, I really like this. I'm not usually one to be concerned with the cliches and iconic locations as you mention, as long as the photo is a beautiful one, and this one certainly is. The moonlight hitting El Cap is stunning, and I really like the silhouetted trees against the fog in the LR. Lastly, I like the shape of the clouds around the central sky. From your description, it sounds like a wonderful experience, and you captured a wonderful photo to go along with it.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership