Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Fata Morgana
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 11/10/17 at 12:59 am EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I've been on a bit of a hiatus of late.  Company, fishing trip, broken Ipad, yada, yada, yada. Good to be back.  This image has been messing with me for a few months.  After not seeing it for a couple of weeks, I made a few tweaks and thought I'd see what you guys think.  The title is a little weird but very appropriate. I'll leave it at that.  

iso 100, 70-200mm w/ 1.4 tc @ 280mm, f/8, 8 secs

Way better large.

I really appreciate your comments and critiques.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/10/17 at 09:44 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Gary, this is really nice. I love the transition from low grasslands to foothills to jagged cliffs. Your b&w processing is spot on, as usual.

Also, thanks for teaching me a new term in the title. I had to look that one up.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/10/17 at 09:56 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Awesome image. The larger version is a must see.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/10/17 at 12:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

I swear, I could be easily convinced that you reside on a different planet. Seriously, it's amazing you are able to come up with these images.  No fog,no big deal, let's present a stunning geologic feature and title it, "Fata Morgana."  (I too had to google that one.)

Ribbing aside, this is outstanding Gary.  Clearly your mastery of the b&w processing tops this off.

It's a rare occasion where one might be able to offer a suggestion for one of your images.  I could see a small crop off the top and cropping off the very bottom to remove the immediate foreground (that is a little soft anyway.) This leaves a narrower presentation that really shows off the progression of time starting with sharp, jagged ridges, all the way to the bottom to the smooth, rolling little mounds.  But no matter, your presentation as is - spectacular.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/10/17 at 12:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Lon hasn't even met you and he thinks you might be from another planet. That man has keen insights into people!!sad

Beautiful image! The processing looks great and what a great landscape. I played with a scroll crop and I might be inclined to crop the bottom up to the sand. Without the bottom ridge, my focus glides into the image and to the back hills with much more ease. That said, it is a beauty as presented. Good to see you back (and with a host of lame excuses!). 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeffrey Sipress on 11/10/17 at 2:31 pm EST    
Registered on 02/17/04, 236 Posts, 1197 Comments

Gary, this is a very fascinating image that keeps me looking for further details.  Excellent work and concept.

Jeffrey Sipress, Santa Barbara, CA    

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jeffrey Sipress Gallery of Jeffrey Sipress

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/10/17 at 9:56 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Beyond fascinating...
Where you find these is your secret, but a truly bizarre landscape. The mineral lines (I assume) seem like static on the TV screen to me..
Like it a lot.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/11/17 at 09:37 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I am always in awe of your B&W images and this is no exception, Gary. Your processing is flawless and those striations in the rock are the star here for me. I could see this with a small crop of the darker sand at the bottom but this works beautifully either way. Excellent image.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/11/17 at 3:19 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Wow, this is exceptional, Gary.  This is one incredible landscape. The layering and those repeating vertical ridges, and horizontal "stripes" give this a very strong abstract quality. Processing looks good to me. Outstanding work.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 11/13/17 at 10:51 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Love this one, Gary. devil 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/13/17 at 1:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Bold and mysterious. An absolute delight to see.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/13/17 at 7:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Fantastic b&w work Gary! and that is not a surprise...cool.  Excellent as is and so cool to look at. I do like Lon's crop thoughts on this as well. Beautiful b&w photography.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 11/14/17 at 7:04 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Gary, this has an interesting contrast between the upper face with sharp edges with dark deep contrast, and the bottom with a softer lighter windblown sand fogginess.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership