Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Chasing Sunset +rp
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 11/09/17 at 12:57 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 11/09/17 at 5:36 pm EST

Thank you so much for all the comments on my previous post.  I have others to share from my trip to the Eastern Sierra a month ago, but I just got back from Yosemite and it's time for some recent images.  Had a great time with Harley and former NPN'r Kyle Krause.

This first one isn't actually in Yosemite.  I was driving Saturday evening to stay in a motel close to the park so I could get an early start anticipating some snow on the valley floor in the morning (never happened, but that's ok.)  Driving along during the sunset hour and with incoming weather, the clouds were looking good.  I passed this oak on the hill and thought that might be good, but kept driving.  A couple miles later I realized it was getting close to sunset and some good color and hadn't found anything better, so I flipped a u-turn in hopes of catching this tree with some nice clouds.  This was a nice way to start the trip.

Recently there was a discussion about left/right when it comes to viewing an image.  In full disclosure I flipped this scene horizontally.  The original capture has the oak tree on the left side.  As in that discussion, there is no right or wrong, it's all about our individual preferences and experiences.  When I was setting up I placed the tree on the left simply because that was how the best clouds were lining up.  In processing for me, I preferred the tree on the right to allow the eye to roam freely from the left. With the tree on the left, my eye went right to the tree and anchored there.  To each our own I guess.

A simple sunset image.  Hope you like it. Feel free to offer any comments or suggestions.

Thanks!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/09/17 at 2:01 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Lon, this is quite a cloudscape.  There's a fine, gentle invitation in the sky that the lone tree and the rounded slope complete beautifully.  I could see this one hanging on my wall and generating a gentle smile every time I viewed it.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/09/17 at 2:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Simple and beautiful. Good call on the flip, works really well as presented. Lovely!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/09/17 at 3:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I love the sky and the tree and the overall composition. The beauty of the sky is particularly well seen in the large version. The luminosity of the land looks flat to me and could use a bit more 'punch'. I think it would benefit from that but I'm not sure. Lot of ways to go with it. Lightened up with more color? Darkened up still further?

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/09/17 at 5:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the comments so far.  Great call on the grassy hill Igor!  You're right, it's rather flat and lifeless.  I've brought up the brightness, color and contrast of the hill.  

Let me know if this is better.  I did want to be careful too given the time of day and low, diffused light, so hopefully not too bright. Certainly more life than the original.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Don Young on 11/09/17 at 6:49 pm EST    
Registered on 04/23/15, 56 Posts, 224 Comments

Lon, this is a fantastic image!  Wow!  The tree being such a small subject still draws the eye straight to it.  The composition is beautiful.

All Photos and Comments by Don Young

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 11/09/17 at 9:08 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

Beautiful composition, Lon!  I like the sense of scale conveyed by the big sky and the lone tree.  The subtle light and color in the sky is beautiful and the warm / cool contrast is always appealing.  I don't remember the last time that I saw a sunrise or sunset photo from you!  Nicely done!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/10/17 at 01:42 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Interesting Lon.  I just took a few images where left third vs right third became an issue.  I ended up shooting both plus centered, cause I couldn't make my mind up.  It's almost like if you are right eyed or left eyed.  I ended up deciding to offset my image on the left side but went back and forth forever.  Really love this.  The repost with the brightened foreground works for me.  You can't hide a good image from you...no way you wouldn't find it.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/10/17 at 11:17 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Put me down for the original post. The brightened grasses look odd to me contrasted against the sky and I much prefer the mood of the original (far more emphasis on the sky). 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 11/11/17 at 4:56 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Lon,

I like the second version slightly over the first. The lone tree is awesome and adds a lot to the sense of isolation. However, the two versions have different sense of emotions based on the lighting and warmth present in the image..................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/13/17 at 10:52 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, I love this composition. The dark tree contrasted against the brightest part of the sky pulls my eye right there, leaving no doubt as to the focal point of the image, and that sky creates a wonderful background.

I think I would like a balance of the darker and lighter grasses you present. The light looks unnatural to my eye. Also, on the repost, there seems to be some dark fringing along the horizon, particularly on the right side.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 11/14/17 at 12:55 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I like this a lot, Lon, especially the report.  So simple yet says so much.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings any if the subdued colors in the clouds were brought out/enhanced just a little to give the image just a little more POP.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Silvia Richter on 11/19/17 at 04:03 am EST    
Registered on 02/27/11, 18 Posts, 167 Comments

Lon, I will comment on the first version, as the foreground in the repost is a bit to bright for my taste.

What I really like is the plainness of the composition that does the lonesome oak tree justice in my opinion. Exploring or "reading" an image from left to right, I start at the brighter spot in the sky which draws my attention first, and then follow the edge of the hills, finally resting at the tree as focal point. Thereby you lead me trough the composition in a very appealing way. So I think flipping the image was a good decision.

Silvia

Silvia Richter
Vienna, Austria

All Photos and Comments by Silvia Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership