Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Red Carpet - Repost
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 11/07/17 at 09:49 am EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 11/18/17 at 05:16 am EST

Large Version Recommended

Finally made it up to Acadia this year for the 1st time.  Ironic with all of my travels this was so late on my list - I think i was scared off by the stories of crowds and congestion of the park.  I found that the most interesting fall foliage for me during my visit was in the alpine areas, as there was still a lot of green at lower elevations that in most years would have been near peak. This was below the summit of Cadillac Mountain during some afternoon blowing fog.  While there were a lot of people around, most didn't hang around due to the weather so it was relatively peaceful.  I waited for quick bursts of sun to break through the blowing fog to help backlight the foliage, which really made it glow.

D810, ISO 400, f13, 1/60 sec., 24-120mm @ 35mm

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 11/07/17 at 1:07 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments
Comment last edited by Norma Tareila Matl on 11/07/17 at 1:07 pm EST

Beautiful!it simply amazes me when you can show us where to find heaven on earth. We might have walked right past it had you not stopped and put a frame around it.  Those burst of sun make all the difference. A master piece. Harry, thank you for your talent and time. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/07/17 at 9:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I love the colors in this image. They are so radiant. The detail in both the plants and the granite in the large version shouldn't be missed. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/07/17 at 10:10 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Great image, Harry. I'm enjoying exploring all the layers from front to back. My brother Ed and I never go anywhere near the summit. Just too many people. Photos like this abound further down anyway. Check out Duck Brook Road next time. THere's usuall some great color there.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/07/17 at 11:38 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Superb Harry, 
Nice color splash and diagonal comp.
The fog adds a lot to the scene which is why you stuck around....
A bit crunchy on the web, minor nit.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Basil Greber on 11/08/17 at 02:49 am EST    
Registered on 11/08/05, 219 Posts, 1340 Comments

Really nice Harry. Excellently composed with the layers and patches of color. The clouds add a lot of mood here. I'm grateful to the person in the comments pointing out that I shouldn't miss the large version. :)

Basil Greber
Switzerland
         https://www.facebook.com/bgreberphotography/
http://500px.com/basilgreber
http://basilgreber.smugmug.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Basil Greber Gallery of Basil Greber

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/08/17 at 08:17 am EST    

Dan - I can't seem to solve the crunchy uploads - I process on a 4K monitor and smooth gradients are difficult to produce when sharpening for web, despite reduced sharpening.  I've been searching the web for a solution - not much seems to work.  Any ideas out there?

Ed - Yes, I stayed well off the top of the summit - Few to no people and comps seemed more interesting.  I'll have to check out Duck Rd.  The nearby peaks were really nice and few people as well for alpine foliage.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/08/17 at 09:56 am EST    

Click Image to View Larger Version

I've tried an online sharpening action to see if it reduces some of the crunchiness of the upload. Hope this is an improvement.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/08/17 at 1:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Harry, I didn't see the crunchiness in this image but have in the past. I use Tony Kuyper's web sharpening tool and am satisfied with it. Incidentally, the images on your website don't have any crunchiness to them so I really don't understand it all.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/08/17 at 9:03 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

The repost is much better..

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/08/17 at 9:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Gorgeous autumn image!  There is so much to explore with the color throughout; even repeating as it fades in to the background.  The sunlight is a great bonus too!

I would agree that the original large view is slightly crunchy and can say that I think the repost works much better in that regard.  Wish I could offer any tips or suggestions. I also use TK's sharpening action.

Love this Harry.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 11/08/17 at 9:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

Lovely image with a lot of nice components and interest! 

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/09/17 at 2:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Harry. Great color and the fog really enhances the mood.  No nits here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/09/17 at 2:39 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Harry, the colors do indeed glow in the red and yellow foreground elements with the fog adding a special feeling.  Comparing the original with the repost, there's a subtle smoothing, especially in the rock, but I don't think it makes much of a difference at NPN sizes.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 11/09/17 at 9:27 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is beautiful, Harry!  The color is of course the star and rightly so.  I like the diagonal line in the composition formed by the red and gold foliage.  The clouds add a lot to the scene as well.  Nicely done!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership