Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Tarn # 4 + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 11/05/17 at 2:09 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 11/07/17 at 11:12 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm
f 18 @ 1/13 sec.
ISO 200
cable release & tripod
Acadia NP, ME

I have been on the fence about this one, but it has grown on me. It does not have the bold reflected autumn color as the prior posts, but is more subtle. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paula LeVay on 11/05/17 at 4:44 pm EST    
Registered on 07/29/16, 66 Posts, 270 Comments

Ed, I can see why this image has grown on you.  Shooting the image in a vertical orientation creates a more intimate scene and helps focus on the dreamy palette of greens and pinks sprinkled throughout and also emphasizes the verticality of the tall grasses.  Very nice!

Paula Levay
Beach City, Texas
http://www.storiedpixels.com

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paula LeVay Gallery of Paula LeVay

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 11/06/17 at 04:30 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Dig it.  Love the change in patterntexture.

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/06/17 at 10:31 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

This is excellent, Ed. A different look at the tarn from most images. I love how you can see below the surface of the water, with the underwater plants and lily stems adding a lot of interest. Well done. Looking forward to the misty morning shots.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/06/17 at 12:01 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Ed, I like the combination of reflection and what's below, maybe not as an only view, but in addition to those that you have already presented that are more about the reflected color. The inclusion of underwater stuff is not typical for these shots, but it creates a unique view, which I am really enjoying.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/06/17 at 3:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like this image but feel that it would be better with less grass. I would crop just above the highest lilly pad resulting in an almost square format.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/07/17 at 11:11 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. They are always appreciated. Here is a repost with Igor's crop suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/08/17 at 8:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

I too am really enjoying what's going on beneath the surface - There's a impressionistic look that really compliments the lilies; in fact I really think the water is the star of the show.

I was think along Igor's comment and I like the cropped repost - which solidifies the attention to the water and lily pads (or whatever they are). 

I'm sure this is true to the scene and experience, but I'm seeing the white balance as a bit warm. Of course changing as presented might just alter the impression of this and maybe not for the better.  Just an observation.

Kudos for pulling a much tighter comp out of the bigger tarn.  Well done.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/09/17 at 2:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice job on the repost, I think it is a stronger comp. This one does not pull at me quite as much as the previous, but it is still a great image. Excellent series!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/09/17 at 2:48 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The glowing colors and myriad shapes look good, Ed.  I like the arch of grasses near the top.  The glowing colors are very impressionistic.  The crop looks good also, just quite different.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 11/09/17 at 6:46 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Of the four, this is my favorite.  I like that the pads are larger in the image and make a good contrast in size and shape to the thin reeds.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership