Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Tale of Two Days
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 11/04/17 at 1:58 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Here is another, actually two, from my trip to the Eastern Sierra a few weeks ago.  On the first morning I headed up McGee Creek canyon and stopped by this location that I have stopped at in years past.  A pleasant surprise to find this small frozen branch overhanging the creek.  On this morning though, I was late and the sun was already filtering through causing hot spots in the creek and raising the contrast.  The result is the second image.  Knowing the temps would remain cold I figured this would still be hear the next morning and so I returned a bit earlier the following day, which is this image here.

I like both for different reasons and would love to here your feedback, comments and suggestions on either, or both.

First image here is a single frame.  The second is a manual blend of two images, primarily to get the icy branch in focus throughout it's length.

Thanks!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/04/17 at 1:59 pm EST    

2nd image, first day.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 11/04/17 at 2:23 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Lon, this is quite nice having the ice on the branch. I agree about the contrast of the other, as the chaos of the moving water fights for attention.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/04/17 at 2:32 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, I really like the first one much better even though both a very nice. I love the wider view of the first and also the water looks great in that one to me. The slight blue tones look fantastic as does the motion. A wonderful intimate image.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/04/17 at 3:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I really like both and can't choose a favorite (and luckily, I don't have to).  Both are similar, yet convey a very different look and mood. Excellent on both!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bruce King on 11/04/17 at 6:00 pm EST    
Registered on 01/14/10, 276 Posts, 2212 Comments

Cool shot Lon...I prefer the second version...it's sharper, the composition is pleasing to my eye and it seems a longer exposure was applied making the water softer but the subject is razor sharp...solid work devil

Bruce King
Bonney Lake, WA
"Mother Nature can be a cruel mistress and in pursuing our passions we are forced to court her." -B.K.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bruce King Gallery of Bruce King

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/04/17 at 6:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like the original more because of the color, the composition, and the handling of the water. If you could clone out the microroots on the root  so that there are clear lines it would improve the image measurably. 

I would title this image 'The Claw and the ___'. Fill in the blank. In fact this is similar to an image I was thinking of posting but haven't done so.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 11/04/17 at 6:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Lon: What a great find and superb captures both. I think I do prefer the slightly wider view of the first but both are exceptional. 2 thumbs up.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/04/17 at 7:05 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

1st one for me, the light in the bronze water is the highlight.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/04/17 at 8:43 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Wonderful juxtaposition, Lon. The iced branch stands out beautifully against the blurred water. Both nice but think I prefer the richer colors and water action in the first.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 11/05/17 at 04:39 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Fist one gets my vote easily, much the better photo, lots going on...more and better water flows, I like the thinner ice and the detail on the twig, the dark background matches nicely. I think shutter speed perfect to have the scratchy water  contract so nicely with the stationary icicle...very nice and new

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 11/05/17 at 07:40 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Lon,

I like the first version over the second, the branches are a bit sharper in this one and I like the range of color as well. In your second version, I doi like the streakiness of the flowing water and the haze at the bottom of the frame. Well done...............Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/05/17 at 12:42 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Both are wonderful and portray two entirely different moods to me, Lon. The original is moody and a little somber while the second version is more airy and cheerful; at least to me. Hard to choose a favorite, but I give a slight edge to the first as I really like the water textures better

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 11/06/17 at 07:38 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

Lon ..I love this. I initially thought that the branch interrupts the beautiful waterfall. But then the ice made all the difference ..beautifully crafted. Love the first one

Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/06/17 at 10:56 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, this is really nice! I prefer the original post, for the softer light and better texture in the water. The abstract, painterly nature of the whitewater at the bottom is just about perfect to me. The whitewater also creates a nice background and frame at the same time. Although a small detail, I also love the small patches of white in the upper left, they add an interesting bit of texture. Really, really great photo.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 11/06/17 at 2:10 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Finally getting around to commenting on a few posts.  Nice post here, Lon.  At first, I was bothered by the lack of detail in the falls but after thinking about it I like it as is.  More detail in the water would take attention away from the frozen twig.  The twig itself has a nice "poetic" look to it, if that makes any sense at all.  All in all, a nice image to view and enjoy.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 11/07/17 at 09:25 am EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

The first shot strikes me as much the stronger, Lon.  The relationship between that seemingly threatening forked branch and the waters benefits from the contrast in tones.  There's a powerful, dark quality to that image, missing from the second version.

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/07/17 at 10:42 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Lon, the original post in my opinion, just rocks it. One of my favorite images of yours. The higher contrast image, uh, not so much to be honest.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 11/08/17 at 1:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Hi Lon,
I much prefer the first one partly because of the colors, but mostly the comp. It just has more shapes in it, which I like. I've got a similar one from Bishop Creek, but this is much better. I love the way the ice daggers are pointing down into the abyss. Lovely work!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/08/17 at 1:42 pm EST    

Thank you so much for all the comments!  Most favor the original post, and I do as well.  I appreciate the comments very much. And no suggestions or nits so I don't need to repost!  :-)

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/11/17 at 12:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Very beautiful Lon. The ice coated branch is a striking  subject and I love how you have crafted the overall composition.  Also find myself enjoying the soft delicate light.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership