Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Tarn # 3
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 11/01/17 at 9:17 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 11/10/17 at 09:01 am EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm
f 18 @ 1/30 sec.
ISO 200
cable release & tripod
Acadia NP, ME

Another from the same morning at The Tarn. This one is a little different as the layering is not as clear cut and the water is not as open. I was initially attracted to this with the zig zag of the water through the reeds. Let me know what you think.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 11/01/17 at 9:30 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Ed, I'll cast my vote: this one's my favorite. Gotta love all those marsh grasses! This really lets my eye wander around the marsh, and the lily pads are amazing. Excellent work.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 11/01/17 at 10:00 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Zig zag ftw!  Think you could put some of the blacks back in as looks a bit open...but could be artist preference.  Nicely seen.

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/01/17 at 11:37 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is gorgeous, Ed. Love the delicate textures, tones and watercolor quality. The zig zag works beautifully to pull the eye through the frame. I do wish the background reeds were as sharp as the rest of the frame but not an image killer. I guess that would require focus stacking...

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 11/02/17 at 02:38 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I love the delicate pastel colors here Ed.  Nice composition too.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 11/02/17 at 04:39 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Great zig-zag line of grasses with splodges of reflections between.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/02/17 at 09:58 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Excellent., Ed This one is my favorite of your series. The zig zag works great and the processing looks spot-on to my eye. Love it. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephanie Murphy on 11/02/17 at 11:38 am EST    
Registered on 10/18/17, 24 Posts, 56 Comments

Puts me in mind of Monet's waterlilies series of paintings. Beautiful photo!

Stephanie Murphy
”Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known” (Reporter Sharon Begley in interview with Carl Sagan)

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephanie Murphy Gallery of Stephanie Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/02/17 at 12:02 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Ed, this is my favorite of the series. You have all the great color and textures in all 3, but I feel that this is the most cohesive composition, with a perfect balance of water and reeds. The zig zag of water is very nice.

My only small nit is with the reflected sky in the LRC. My eye gets pulled there because it has the only spots of blue in the whole image. Maybe some burning or a hue adjustment would be good.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/02/17 at 5:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

This one is stunning for me.  Despite less reflection, I love the soft curves and how eye can just gently flow through the scene.

Beautiful design, beautifully seen and wonderfully captured.  No nits or suggestions for improvement. You nailed it.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/02/17 at 8:14 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

This is not only my favorite of your series, it's also one of the best tarn shots I've seen.devildevil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 11/02/17 at 8:30 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like the z-formation of the tarn as it weaves it's way through the grass.  I also like the hint of orange in the reflection near the center of the frame.  I think this is a stronger composition than your prevous post.  This one is beautiful, Ed!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 11/03/17 at 07:51 am EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

Very nicely composed, Ed, with a lovely impressionistic feel to it.  I've also enjoyed looking at the details - especially those strange dark elements in the centre, which look like graphic marks across the water.  You could probably get half a dozen delightful images out of this with a variety of crops wink

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/03/17 at 12:09 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Love all the subtle colors and textures in this view, Ed.  It's also great that for a tight view, there a fine sense of depth from the meandering waterway.  I'd print and hang this one.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/03/17 at 1:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is my favorite one as well. It's interesting to go back and see how the images of the tarn evolved over time. The earlier ones where a bit more contrasty and darker as I recall. But with the reworks I think you've achieved the 'best' color balance and tonal quality. This is a delicate subject and I think that opening it up and yet preserving the colors was the right approach. I'm wondering how it would look if all the grass was as light as the fg grasses on the right. The composition is really good, btw.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/03/17 at 1:49 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

My favorite, Ed. Excellent comp with beautiful light, color and reflections. Really Nice!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/03/17 at 2:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone; they are always appreciated. This image is one of my favorites from the trip. I was hoping that everyone would enjoy it.

Craig : I tried burning down the LRC but it just looked muddy. Maybe someone with better PS skills than I could do a better job. cool

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/12/17 at 02:32 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Congrats on your WP, brother.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership