Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Tarn # 2
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 10/30/17 at 2:03 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Nikon D800
Nikon 80-200
f 18 @ 1/25 sec.
ISO 200
cable release & tripod
Acadia NP, ME

Another image from the same morning as my last post. If you get the right conditions; such as a very slight breeze to blur the autumn reflections in the water of the tarn; you can capture som lovely shades of warm color to compliment the reeds. I have a few more so hopefully no one gets bored.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 10/30/17 at 6:10 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

This is another fine marsh image, Ed. Gotta love the reflection of the grasses.The lily pads are a good device to offset what otherwise might be considered a centered composition, and the breeze works well to create the feel of Impressionism. Excellent work.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/30/17 at 6:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Yep, another nice one. I have been going back and forth between this and your prior version. I find myself preferring the processing of this one with the warmer light and the brighter reeds with the larger expanse of reflection in the prior version. Hard to go wrong with either, but......

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 10/30/17 at 9:06 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

I recognized your work immediately in the thumbnail;  it compels me to open the image.  I like this even more than the previous one, partly because the more subtle composition does not let larger shapes interfere with enjoument of the colors and textures.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/30/17 at 10:15 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

Nicely done.  Like the combination of the blurred reflection and the layering in the grass.  Great color, too.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 10/31/17 at 02:23 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Ed, the warm coloring of the reeds and reeds with the lily pads are a nice peaceful combination, but the yellow and lime reflection coloring seems a misfit and fights the calmness of the image.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/31/17 at 3:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

Another beautiful image, gorgeous colors.  While not as dynamic of a comp as previous image - that doesn't much matter since both images stand up on their own quite perfectly.  I like the layers here and what knocks this off being two static is the little congregation of lily pads. For me, beside the awesome color, I like that grouping of lily pads.  I also like the scattering lf all the dark, broken old reeds in the reflection. Way to many to clone out and I think work nicely helping to tell a little story about the place.

Not tired - would like to see what else you've got!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 11/01/17 at 07:48 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Ed, I like your idea to divide the composition into two parts that are of even interest to me. While the lower half shows me wonderful colors in the reflection, I also enjoy to explore the delicate texture of the reeds in the upper half. The placement of the lily pads finally makes the difference for me and adds a kind of asymmetry that I appreciate a lot. Great work in my opinion.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/01/17 at 09:07 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Really like this, Ed. The 50/50 comp works well here with the water reflections sort of mirroring the reeds. Another fine tarn image.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 11/02/17 at 6:18 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Out of the 3 I like this one the best. The beautiful reflection and the lily pads are pulling me in and the grasses nice depth of field. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership