Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Last Light
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 10/30/17 at 12:27 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions on my previous post.

This one is from the same evening as my earlier rabbit brush and sage image.  This one capture a few minutes earlier of the second day of the trip near the South Tufa area.

The last of daylight on just about any scene is usually the most beautiful.  I liked the glow in the rabbit brush and the light streaking across the frame.

Your thoughts and suggestions of course are always welcome.  The is a 3-image stack for DOF.

Thanks for looking!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/30/17 at 2:22 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Beautiful light indeed, Lon. The side lighting has created some lovely details which standout rather nicely in the large version along with some subtle shadows creating some nice depth to this image. Your focus stack looks great. I also like the earth tones in this scene. Did you happen to move to the left and get some images? I ask because I could also see this working without the bush along the left side toward the top. Great stuff either way.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/30/17 at 6:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real nice light and high desert scene. I find the top of the image is pulling my attention out of the scene, so I might consider a crop of maybe 1/3 of the space between the top of the top big bush and the top edge. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 10/30/17 at 8:59 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Oh yeah, this is a great example of the beauty of last light, and how to show off that beauty by finding darker areas to contrast with the warm highlights (and that includes the grasses as well as the larger plants).  Nice use of the power of three, too.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/30/17 at 10:50 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

I really like the low-angle light on the vegetation and placement of the brush.  I'm a little on the fence with all the bare earth in the foreground and might consider a crop off the bottom.  These are difficult shots and overall I like this one.  

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 11/01/17 at 11:10 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments
Comment last edited by Bill Chambers on 11/01/17 at 11:22 am EST

The light and detail in the large version have a lot to offer.  I enjoy looking over the semi-barren ground surrounding the main elements; kinda reminds me of one of Paul B's shot in that aspect.  As nice as the light and detail are, the composition is leaving me less thrilled, but I really don't have any suggestions to make in better.  The part that doesn't thrill me is the background grasses; they distract me.  I would somehow love for the image to just focus on the main elements and surrounding barren area, perhaps thru a tightly controlled DoF or something, or a combination of DoF and burning.  What was in the area where you were set up?  Perhaps setting up on the far side and looking back to where you were - just grasping at straws.  Anyway, beautiful subject matter and gorgeous light.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/01/17 at 5:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Interesting to read the comments. I would try burning in the top layer to redirect viewer to bare earth which is beautiful. I would try that before any cropping.  

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/01/17 at 11:50 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Ahh, rabbit brush... imo, one of the more photogenic plants on the planet. This is very beautiful, Lon. Love the warm colors and textures. I think I'm with Igor on doing some light burning of the background to direct the eye. In any case, a lovely image.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/02/17 at 01:01 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thank you for the comments and suggestions on this one. 

Ed, Bill, regarding the comp and the point of view, there are gobs more bushes to the left (in fact this was cropped from the left) and so moving that direction was problematic.  I think Bill I could have backed up.  But what I recall as that the light was fleeting and I moved to this location to quickly grab a comp before the light was lost.

Harley, Igor, Bill and Dave.  I hadn't considered burning the top of the image (or cropping,) but I can see the issue with the very top of the frame. This was already a crop off the top as the tufa and Mono Lake was visible in the original.  I do think a burn or additional crop is a good suggestion; I see that, so thank you.

I was more interested in the light striking the foreground grasses, then the earth itself, but the open area including the ground and light I think are important in the comp.

Thanks all!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/02/17 at 01:05 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

but the open area including the ground and light I think are important in the comp.

Absolutely right. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership