Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sierra Classic II +crop
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 10/28/17 at 3:42 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 10/29/17 at 12:58 am EST

I'm trying to think of how many, if any images I've seen of Aspen over a flowing stream.  I chase these scenes frequently with dogwood over the Merced in Yosemite... but I can't recall having shot this myself.

This one was interesting to process.  I did capture a number of frames with the intent of trying to focus stack.  It's taken me a while to learn and get this.... but focus stacking doesn't work all the time. Most especially with moving parts - like blowing leaves and moving water. :-(  So after a few failed attempts at that I resorted to a manual blend.  So there are two images, one for the tree and leaves, the second for the rocks and water at the bottom.  Of course the water movement changed between frames.  I hope the blend looks ok.

As always, would love to hear your comments, critique and feedback.

Thanks!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/28/17 at 3:50 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

You have probably started a trend here with the aspen, Lon. The poor dogwood will probably be relegated to an afterthought. cool Seriously though this is beautifully done as the blend looks pretty seamless to me and your SS choice has created some wonderful details in the water. No suggestions from me.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/28/17 at 4:12 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

Lon, the blend looks good to my eye.  The composition also looks good and frames the rocks and the cascades nicely.  Beautifully done!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 10/28/17 at 5:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

You did a fine job on this, Lon. The blend looks really well done. The color looks great, and the water flow has plenty of nice texture. My only suggestion would be to clone out the rock in the very upper left corner. Other than that, this is really fine work!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/28/17 at 5:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This turned out really well. Blend looks great to my eye. It must have been tedious to manually blend it. I would agree with Preston's suggestion on the clone. You are a trend setter, both in photography AND fashion!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/28/17 at 5:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Very nice image. I prefer the lower part a lot more than the upper. The water, boulders, and that single branch hanging over the water is really special. However, I can't come up with a crop that wouldn't require significant cloning at the upper border of the frame.

I really can't come up with good suggestions on the current image. The large rock, top left center, looks a bit awkward peeking through the foliage but that's being picky and it may not be true at all.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 10/28/17 at 8:06 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Lon, I can only imagine the challenges of focus stacking such a scene, so I'm not likely to attempt it. I like your choice of SS to get the water texture. composition is excellent, and the glow of the warm light on the bedrock against the yellow is superb. A fine capture.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 10/29/17 at 12:43 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

This works for me on many levels Lon.  The focus is spot on for the leaves and rocks.  The shutter speed you have chosen for the water motion works well.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/29/17 at 12:54 am EST    

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!  Seems a consensus on rocks up top - not just the one in the ULC, but also the bigger one up top.  I think Igor's concern about a messy crop was a valid one, but I think i found one that is decently clean.  Here is a cropped version.  I also made a few subtle edge adjustments where some of the white water merged with the edge.

I also wanted to mention the blend. Nothing tedious about the blend, it was actually very basic.  If you look close, you'll notice the rock and the water below the level of the big rock is more focused/sharp.  The water above that  line is soft and not in focus.  I combined two frames, but it was as simple as one half being the sharper leaves up top, and the sharp rock at the bottom.  I'll include a simulated mask to follow.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!  I too really like the rocks and water at the bottom of the frame - the aspens leaves, nice color accent... ;-)

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/29/17 at 12:56 am EST    

Here's a screenshot of the layer mask similar to the one I used on the original master file (I had flattened all that, so I had to repeat from original RAW)

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/29/17 at 07:38 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The cropped version works, but I prefer the original composition, even with the rocks in it. For me, it is the space between the upper leaves and the edge that does it in the original. For my money, I would clone the upper rock and call it very nicely done. YMMV (money, not mileage). 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/29/17 at 12:44 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, This is very nice! I have always enjoyed your shot with branches and leaves over the water and I especially like the aspen leaves. I like the comp of the original with a bit more room around the leaves. The one rock doesn't really bother me much but it would be nicer without it. Very nice!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Cordes on 10/29/17 at 8:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 451 Posts, 3366 Comments

This is strikingly wonderful!  The blend of images is first rate and the colors really pop.  Well done.

NPN 1106
Life is beautiful, but remember - A little mild insanity keeps us healthy!

Ed
Corning, NY

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Cordes Gallery of Ed Cordes

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/30/17 at 04:45 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments
Comment last edited by Mattia Oliviero on 10/30/17 at 04:45 am EST

I like both versions, Lon. But I do prefer the second which is more direct and more effective. I like the colors and especially the light on the rocks at the bottom, really gorgeous in the large version.

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/30/17 at 8:12 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

This is really nice and I like the cropped version that removals part of the diagonal branch in the upper right hand corner.  The blend looks good, but I wonder why you needed to blend images, unless to maintain the SS for the water.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership