Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Laoconte
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 10/27/17 at 3:06 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 11/06/17 at 5:23 pm EST

I recently had a discussion about how images are viewed. I maintained that if the photographer hasn't convey the 'message' of his image to his viewer successfully then he has failed. The other individual felt that an image was to be interpreted based on the viewer's  experience which could vary greatly from the photographers intention. Here I have decided to remove the ambiguity of interpretation by giving it a suggestive title and I'm following it up with the Greek statue I associated with it. I would be lying if I were to say that I thought of this analogy as I was shooting. But it occurred to me while processing the subject.

This is an image I posted 2 years ago which I have gone back to and decided it was better than I thought. I am adding it to my gallery.

I am interested to hear your opinion on how you like to have your images viewed and how you react to images.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/27/17 at 3:08 pm EST    

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/27/17 at 3:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Even with the name of the image, I would not have gotten the reference (art history is not my strong point). However, I really like the image! It is a bold subject, with great mood. I really like your processing that highlights the tree so well. No suggestions, real sweet. 

Occasionally I name images to "suggest" to the viewer what I wish emphasized. For example, in my foxtail pine wood grain image, I wished to create a mindset to pay attention to the different shades of color (in addition to the grains) so I quite cleverly named it 
Shades of Brown. :)  But for the most part, I either have what I consider to be an appropriate name pop into my head when working on an image or I just name it in descriptive form. When viewing images, I think a name can lead me along a little bit and suggest a train of thought, but not a whole lot. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy VanSwearingen on 10/28/17 at 10:07 am EST    
Registered on 05/23/09, 800 Posts, 2042 Comments

I love this tree and BG.  The larger image shows the tree to "pop" more, which I was going to suggest.

Lucy VanSwearingen
Richmond, TX

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy VanSwearingen Gallery of Lucy VanSwearingen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/28/17 at 12:23 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This tree has a lot of character and your composition has shown that masterfully.  I like the lighting on the tree as well as it not only brings out all of the texture but also adds some brightness to the scene which I perceive as peaceful. It is a good reminder to keep my eyes open even after the leaves have dropped. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 10/28/17 at 2:15 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I like the steel blue branches which nicely complement the sky.  I see your analogy with the entangled forms of the statue but I would not have made the connection myself.  The larger version is a must see.  The lovely light is more pronounced.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 10/29/17 at 1:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Igor, your image is a real storyteller, yet it is telling its own story I think. The muted colors are consistent with the overall feel to it for me and at the same time leave my attention to the bizarre structure as the main element. Very interesting work in my opinion.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/29/17 at 3:13 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

A wonderful fine art image in my eyes. I love the color and tones in this, excellent composition and beautiful processing.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/29/17 at 3:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

Agree with others that the light, colors and processing here are wonderful. Interesting, I think the colors are muted - but in this case, the colors are still wonderful - hard to explain.  And indeed the tree has character. Another interesting element is the dead branch and otherwise messy foreground - yet, just like the "muted" colors, I find the foreground to enhance the image rather than take away.  Everything about this is well placed.

As far as the reference goes, I'm with Harley - and no student of art or even Greek mythology.  I would have made the reference unless you had mentioned it.

To your question, I suppose I'm not like some, and maybe like others.  I usually place no deep thoughts on my images beyond perhaps telling a nature story. So I don't expect viewers to take any meaning from them.  Of course they can and view in whatever thought or manner they wish.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/29/17 at 5:22 pm EST    

Perhaps I should explain that there was never meant to suggest that there was an intent for the viewer to see a connection between tree and statue. There was an intent to draw a similar emotional response between tree and statue. I frankly don't even know the story of the man in the statue. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/30/17 at 8:02 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

The message I see here is the struggle of life in a harsh environment.  I saw this statue a couple of years ago in Vatican City, but still couldn't remember it and had to Google the title.  Maybe I made that connection here because while viewing the statue I was wondering how I was going to survive the struggle of being around so many people looking at statues.  Great image.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 10/30/17 at 9:54 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

My immediate reaction to this image was "tortured" so for me at least, the title's reference to the suffering of Laocoon was not necessary, although it is entirely appropriate.  (In fact I confess that it has been so many decades since I studied Roman and Greek mythology, and art only tangentially, that I misinterpreted the title, and wondered what the great entomologist John LeConte had to do with the image.  Is Igor an entomologist, too?  What insect kiled that tree?  It was not until I scrolled down and saw the statue from the Vatican that I got it.)

Anyway, this reminds me so much of the tortured pines that I like to photograph on windswept ridges, the connection was instant, even though the environment is so different.  Interesting as well as beautiful.  Can you tell us more about the species and the habitat?

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/31/17 at 12:10 am EST    

Wayne, I was a marine biologist in my former life, so I don't my bugs. That tree is still very much alive. This is baja's version of an elephant tree. It, too, stores water in it's trunk waiting for the dry period. It's common to have dead branches and the others go on. I think it may be termites that get them? I say that because most homes have termite problems in that area. This area gets virtually no water unless a hurricane drifts that far north. IMO these trees look better without their leaves.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 10/31/17 at 02:35 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Wow,  I might be a little late. I don' t know what the title means, so nothing was conveyed by it... however I see similarity between the epic tortured pose and this wonderful image...they both convey life's struggle to endure. The tree in its seemingly hostile environment and the man and children in their battle with the serpent.     

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 10/31/17 at 2:52 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Thanks for the info, Igor.  Glad to see the tree is still surviving!

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/31/17 at 8:44 pm EST    

Thank you for your comments. I think we are getting closer to what this image was intended to convey with each comment. The following quote I came across today addresses the subject by a noted photographer.

When the photographer shows us what he considers to be an Equivalent, he is showing us an expression of a feeling, but this feeling is not the feeling he had for the object that he photographed. What really happened is that he recognized an object or a series of forms that, when photographed, would yield an image with specific suggestive powers that can direct the viewer into a specific and known feeling, state, or place within himself.

Minor White

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 11/01/17 at 10:57 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I really like this, Igor.  I immediately wonder "what kind of tortured life has this tree had?".  That hard life (assuming that it was indded hard) gave it great character.  Nicely seen and presented.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership