Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

McGee Triangles
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 10/27/17 at 12:18 am EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 10/27/17 at 12:37 am EST

I chose to post this one right on the heals of Rudy's image simply because it's the same creek, McGee Creek in the Eastern Sierra.  Our images probably captured about 24 hours apart.  Biggest difference beside the obvious image subject, was Rudy's was from a "recent hike up..." and mine is a "drive and park" variety... angel

I spied this the day before, but arrived too late to capture as the sun had risen above the ridge tops.  Nothing unique or spectacular here - but I was drawn to the geometry and I liked how this shaped up with the aspens flowing up the rugged creek drainage, surrounded by the high desert chaparral of sage and boulders.

This was a first for me.  this is composed of 4 images.  2 images on the right for focus stacking, with 2 stacked images for the left combined for a pano stitch.  Oh the days when I could just stop down to f/45 and be done with it - crop, done. :-)

Would love your comments and suggestions. 

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 10/27/17 at 11:37 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Lon, what makes this image really appealing to me is the repetition of patterns in the foreground and background, yet with slight variations. Thereby you provide an interesting frame for the midground trees to my eye. The processing of colors is spot on in my opinion.

Only one minor suggestion: the one prominent green tree in the left half is leaning to the left a bit. If it was upright, it might introduce a kind of steadyness counteracting the strong diagonal. Just a personal thought of course.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/27/17 at 11:55 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The triangle of fall trees shows up very well here, Lon.  However, it's the contrast in textures between the foreground sage, the fall trees, and the distant rocky slopes that really makes this image a treat and those features only show well in the larger version.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/27/17 at 4:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like the strong diagonals and alternating colors. I saw Peter's suggestion about a rotation. I can see where he is coming from, but it works great for me as presented. No suggestions here. Nice solid image. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/27/17 at 8:36 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like the strong diagonal in the composition as well as the contrast between the glowing cottonwood trees (?) and the surrounding sage.  It's interesting to see the wider view compared to Rudy's image. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/28/17 at 12:30 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The thumbnail does not do this one justice, Lon. I really like the way you layered this scene with the diagonal; but what I find really attractive is the various subtle shades of color that come to the forefront in the large version. You did a fantastic job of processing this even if it is digital. cool

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/28/17 at 3:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the comments on this one, much appreciated.

Peter - I hadn't really noticed the leaning of the pine and you make a good suggestion.  I've rotated it in different version that I have of this scene and it looks a bit better.  Thanks.

Ed - Thanks for the comment on the processing.  I struggled with this one with several different versions. I had a hard time with the white balance and overall recollection of what the scene actually was and should be.  

Thanks again!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/30/17 at 7:44 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

This is a nice display of fall colors in the eastern Sierra, where the aspens are usually confined to the drainage courses.  What I also like here is the prominent granitic boulders on these moraines.  Even though McGee Creek consists mostly of metamorphic rock and the granite is located well up canyon, it's much more resistant to weathering.  

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership