Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Bold Birch +alt
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 10/25/17 at 5:40 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 10/26/17 at 2:14 pm EST

First, thank you so much for the comments and suggestions on my last post.  I was starting to struggle comparing the subtle changes between the versions, viewing them.  But back at home PS CC, I think I'm settled on the processing.

Thought I would post something a little different.  Unique? no. But not your typical autumn fare.  This is a Water Birch hanging over a creek.  This tree also has yellow leaves in t he autumn, much like the aspen and in fact are shaped similarly, only the edges of the leaves are slightly jagged.

I wanted get all the fine detail and color of this wonderful limb over the softness of the rushing water below.  Took some time setting up, jockeying to get the tripod in good position, gently moving some distracting small branches (laid jacket down temporarily.)  As I just started shooting (and was doing 2 images for a stack for the length of the limb,) the sun began rising over the surrounding ridges.  I don't normally want the direct sun, but it was so filtered and dappled from the overhead canopy of aspen, birch and pine that a nice glow started to appear.  I grabbed a few shots before it got too hot.  In doing so, I abandoned the focus stack thoughts and shot this at f/16 1.3 s.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this one.

thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/25/17 at 7:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments
Comment last edited by Harley Goldman on 10/25/17 at 7:40 pm EST

The detail, textures and colors of the trunk are beautiful. Something about the background water lines is throwing me off only a little bit. I think it is because the bold water lines are going different directions, almost forming a rectangle. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has the same reaction. It is not a big deal, but I might try toning down the line parallel to the trunk with the 15% cloning technique IF it bothers you at all. It might not even phase you. But like I said, not a biggie and I like the image. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/25/17 at 11:31 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/25/17 at 11:34 pm EST

Lon, a wonderful take here. The detail is outstanding. The trunk has some really foreboding looks to it. Like it would be a tough tree to shinny up....sad
Some of my favorite photo scenes posses some kind of diagonal look and or flow to them. This one is real obvious, others not so much. I think Harley's cloning idea on the parallel to the trunk water line is a sound idea too. At least for another look see there.

A very solid image overall......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 10/26/17 at 12:45 am EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

What strikes me about the image, Lon, other than the amazing detail and subtle warm light on the bark, is the remarkable contrast between the strong detail of the bark and the soft blur of the flowing stream in the background.  That contrast in textures makes the image work in my opinion, so much better than simply a detail shot of tree bark.  Excellent seeing as always.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/26/17 at 04:05 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

This is really interesting, Lon. The diagonal trunk has some very good light and I love the background as well with the contrast between movement and stillness. I would consider to crop a little to cut the dark area in the background which is a little bit distracting to me. This in order to have a more homogeneous background. And considering also a B&W version which might have a very strong power. Well seen and executed. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 10/26/17 at 09:29 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, I really like the dappled light on the tree, and the contrast of the sharp detail in the tree versus the softness of the water. On the whole though, the diagonal tree isn't working for me. It's creating a divided image.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/26/17 at 1:45 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The details in the trunk stand out very well here, Lon.  The oof, moving water makes a great background.  The sharpness along the trunk looks good.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/26/17 at 2:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the comments and observations!

Mr. H. - I didn't see the "rectangle" until you mentioned it!  Now I see what you see. grrrr. ;-)  Actually, I'd call it a trapezoid... 

And to Mattia's and Craig's comments, here is an alternate version (I have about 6) where the water flow is slightly different. I've also cropped a bit to remove the dark top and put the trunk off center.  Yeah, still divides the image and in the long run this isn't more than a nice picture of Water Birch limb.

Thanks for looking and any additional comments!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/26/17 at 11:05 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

I think I prefer the original and really like the light and detail on the branch.  The only thing I would consider is to increase the brightness on some of the darker areas of water long the top.  Nice image.  

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership