Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Eye of the Beholder +RP
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 10/20/17 at 01:21 am EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 10/20/17 at 10:26 pm EST

... as in "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..."   I've thought of this often as it relates to the Eastern Sierra and the 395 corridor.  I was even commenting to my wife while exploring the area, how on the surface the scenery (toss in some haze..) is really so visually boring and downright almost ugly.   I mean the drive down from Ellery Lake on Tioga Pass down to Lee Vining... is nothing more than a road cut out of giant rock slides; the view off to the east... unimpressive.  At least to the casual traveler...

Everyone here knows, you need to stop, step out of the car, take a few steps and learn to smell the roses.  The beauty isn't always in the grand mountain side of flaming fall color, but the small details of the sage brush and back lit rabbit brush, the trunk of an aging cottonwood, or tumbled granite in a clear mountain stream.  These are the scenes that brings the beauty of the Eastern Sierra to life - at least for me.

And so I post this. Captured from the overflow parking lot of the South Tufa at Mono Lake (like, I literally stepped out of the car...), moments after the sun dipped behind the ridge. Perhaps one of my early favorites from this trip, but still have many to go through and process.  Color/sat are maximized in post, but my goal is always to make an image the best it can be, while still maintaining a sense of real. I hope I've captured that here.

As always, would love your comments, critique and suggestions.

Thanks!

Lon

Info: a 3-image focus stack at f/13 iso 200 with Tamron 24-135mm at 120mm.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/20/17 at 02:47 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Excellent image, Lon. Couldn't agree with you more about the beauty of the little things. Here, you show us your unique vision about an apparently boring place as you said. This kind of image is really appealing to me. Colors ans shapes are amazing and the composition really helps with this. I do not know if you use the burn and dodge tool but it seems that in the center of the image slightly on the right there is an unnatural shadow in the bush that maybe should be lighten a little. Maybe it is natural but it draws my attention. Hope I made myself clear. Great job in seeing this.  

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/20/17 at 03:00 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Well hec, that's just a bunch of rabbit brush and sage and light and vision and appreciation for all that matters. Did that sentence just run together?  Seriously, excellent Lon.  It never ceases to amaze me what good vision really means till you see it.  Well done, can't wait to see the rest from your trip.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 10/20/17 at 08:07 am EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Lon, you certainly took a mundane situation and brought beauty to it through your passion. You saw imagery where someone else saw brush. In your minds eye you turned it into a photograph of textures, colors, time and place in just that moment. I don't see this kind of imagery on the east coast so I do appreciate you stopping to share this beautiful scene. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 10/20/17 at 08:54 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Really nice, Lon. To me, this image is "Alive". It has a sense of motion to it with the rolling waves of brush and flower.  Pleasing to my eye.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/20/17 at 09:44 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/20/17 at 09:45 am EST

Lon, as a "high desert" environment photographer most all of my adult life these type of scenes are very normal, but at the same time quite gorgeous too. Many from around the world would struggle at times to see the raw beauty associated with such rough arid terrain. But for me it is this or do without photo ops. The point being is most all of our southwest territory is made up of these scenes and when the light is right they really come to life.

The golden Rabbit brush as we see here along with mixture of some blue sage is very impressive without any huge mountain or other objects as characters of support, IMO. The area around the South Tufa is a strong point to be made about the typical eastern sierra or high desert look overall. This image provides a wonderful slice of that terrain.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 10/20/17 at 10:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

A beauty, Lon.  This is what I love about the east side; there's so much more to see if one just stops, takes a breath, and really look at the beauty up close.  Excellent!  So much to take in here, my eye just wanders through the scene trying to absorb the colors, textures and different vegetation, love it.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 10/20/17 at 2:09 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Lon, this is a wonderfully presented and processed image. I'm really liking the coolish palette combined with a pleasing mix of warm colors. Your focus stack worked nicely for this scene. That darker area upper middle height must have worked in your favor.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/20/17 at 2:31 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Fall grasses and shrubs definitely have their own beauty, Lon.  It's great to see you enjoy that also as well as your ability to share it with the rest of us.  The scattering of yellows and browns throughout this view works very well.  I do wonder if the light was as streaked as the image shows.  If you burned-in the area just behind the gap, I'd like to see some glow there as well.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/20/17 at 3:10 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is a beautifully balanced scene as my eye wanders about through the brush and savors all the wonderful small details, Lon. Sometimes it is a good thing to slow down and look for these intimate scenes as they are just as gorgeous as the grand landscape IMO. Your processing looks spot on.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/20/17 at 4:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is real nice, Lon! Great color (yep, the cyan looks just right sad) and depth with the stacking the plant lines. No nits here. I like it. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/20/17 at 6:36 pm EST    

Thanks for your comments folks!  I think we all have like minds in that we all do appreciate these often forgotten, mundane things.... who would think sage and rabbit brush could be "beautiful."  But to me, and many of you, it just is.

Several of you mentioned the darker area on the right above center line.  So, no I didn't burn it, although overall the image is darker than the raw. the exposure was dropped some as a result of a LAB color layer set to a blend mode of multiply (first time I used that blend mode) and also a TK MT-3 Levels layer to increase contrast a little (squeezed both ends of the histogram, if that makes sense.)

Considering both Mattia's and Marks comments about perhaps improving that area, I think I'll play with this some more. It does appear to be a bit darker in that area, not just the little gap with little vegetation.  As far ask any streaking of light, the sun had just dipped behind the ridge, so no direct light, but I can see what you mean Mark.  Perhaps some artful dodging and buring are in order here.  Thanks all for the suggestions!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/20/17 at 10:24 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Lon Overacker on 10/20/17 at 10:26 pm EST

I played around with this a bit.  The changes I think are subtle and will wonder if even noticable.  One thing I discovered is that the LAB/Multiply layer I used darkened the darker areas much like an Orton effect does.  Rather than ADD a new layer to adress the darker area right of center, I simply added a layer mask  and painted that area with a low opacity brush, essentially removing the effects, thus bringing back some lightness to that specific area.

Also, Mark's comment about "streaking light" got me thinking about some dodging and burning.  I dodged the tips of a number of plants that would, say be touched by low glancing light and then also burned down some areas that are naturally in shadow.  the touches were also at very low opacity on the burn/dodge at 5% on the brush.

I'm curious if the changes will be noticeable once I post.

Thank  you again for your response and comments on this one.  The feedback we get on images is extremely helpful!

Lon

edit: Ok, hard to see the changes.  I can see them, but more because I know what and where I applied them!  So not sure if this is enough of a change to make a difference to the viewer.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 10/20/17 at 11:12 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Lon, I like these high desert shots of sage and rabbit brush.  Other adjustments to try would be darkening the midpoint in levels, and a slight bump of saturation in luminosity mode.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 10/21/17 at 4:23 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Gorgeous, Lon. Nicely composed arrangement of sages and rabbit brush. Really love the subtle colors. Beauty and wonder all around all we have to do is open our eyes and see. 
Not seeing much difference from the original in the repost. Only thought I would have is too do some light dodging of the back layers of sages. I think this would enhance the images depth.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/21/17 at 5:55 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

You have a great eye for composing these kind of scenes.  Honestly, I would probably walk past this scene.  You have presented it in a way that directs my attention to a scene that I might otherwise overlook.  I do find myself drawn to more colorful and vibrant scenes.  I suppose that is because I lived most of my life in the Texas Panhandle where brown / yellow is the dominant color in such an arid landscape. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership