Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Somber Reflection +
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 10/18/17 at 2:37 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 10/18/17 at 10:20 pm EST

I'm posting this in honor and tribute to the lives and property lost in the horrific California wildfires - that are still burning.  My wife and I thought we would be able to get away from the smoke and historically unhealthy air by spending a few days in the Eastern Sierra. But alas, the smoke is carrying that far - some 200+ miles east of the Nor Cal fires.

The weather was clear and I didn't see any clouds all weekend.  I'm 99% certain what you see here is smoke.  This is looking North/NW to the Sierra.  Behind me, there was also smoke on the horizon from the Yosemite fire burning near Glacier Point since July 31st.

I'm conflicted in finding beauty in such tragedy.  I came here in hopes of finding the colors of the earth's shadow over the Sierra and reflected in this pond. Some times things just don't pan out how you wish them to be.

Lon

ps. I know panos like this show terribly here. This is a 4-image stitch. Location a large pond near the Owens River east of Mammoth.  Thanks for the tips Dave!

Edit: added image depicting more smoke from same morning shoot.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/18/17 at 5:49 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 10/18/17 at 5:49 pm EST

Lon, What a disaster with those fires. Have seen a lot on the news and it is hard to see, and all the lives lost is such a shame. You are doing a nice tribute to them posting this picture. The picture is really quite special and the light is wonderful.  Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/18/17 at 6:23 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments
Comment last edited by Brian Schrayer on 10/18/17 at 6:25 pm EST

I like the beautiful warm light as well as the alternating cool / warm / cool layers.  I'm sure this would look beautiful in a print!

I'm so sorry to hear about all of the devastating wildfires in Northern California as well as Montana and the Columbia River Gorge earlier this year. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/18/17 at 7:43 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Beautiful tribute, Lon.  My sister lives in Napa and fortunately they were spared.  They did have bags packed and things ready to go on a moments notice.  So many tragedies this summer.  I hope it's not the new normal, seems no where is immune.  The pano will make a sweet print if you ever so inclined.  The light is very nice.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/18/17 at 7:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beauty, Lon! It is smoke. I saw a ton of smoke the whole time I was up there. I really like this a lot!! Unusual image, too. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/18/17 at 8:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/19/17 at 06:42 am EST

Lon, I have to say I started breathing a bit harder just seeing all the smoke here. We have been under two close calls here in Corona this summer. A month or so back we came very close to having to evacuate our area. Many around us actually were told to leave for a few days. Then only a week ago the adjacent area just west of us was under seige and many homes were lost there. 

As far as the image it is still outstanding even with the smoke. The resulting light on the FG area and across that immediate span is what makes this work well. Should make a neat print in the overall narrow perspective.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mike Ramy on 10/18/17 at 8:39 pm EST    
Registered on 06/16/12, 567 Posts, 2809 Comments

Hey Lon,
Nice tribute and informative commentary to go along with a masterfully processed composition. The large version shows well on my monitor and is very impressive indeed.
Well done . . .  laugh

Mike Ramy
Douglasville, Georgia
'Have boat will Travel'

About Me
Photo Touring by Boat and Guide Services information HERE
Florida Spring Break Tour 2018 information HERE

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mike Ramy Gallery of Mike Ramy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/18/17 at 9:58 pm EST    

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts so far.

For Brian, Paul and those reminding us of all those affected in other regions from more fires, hurricanes and other disasters.  It hasn't been a pretty year and you're right Gary, no one and no place is immune.

I appreciate the thoughts and am glad this resonates.

I don't want to hijack my own thread and perhaps not appropriate for the gallery, but I wanted to illustrate further the extent of the smoke on this day.  This was captured just 10 minutes before the panoramic.  Looking pretty much directly west and a much closer impact of the smoke.  I believe however, this smoke is likely from the Glacier Pt. fire in Yosemite rather than the NorCal fires. Literally surrounded by smoke.

Thanks again everyone!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Tobias on 10/19/17 at 10:43 am EST    
Registered on 09/12/09, 2120 Posts, 6455 Comments

I think you have shown the situation well with this image.  Glad you have not been in a fire zone.  I do hope you can continue to capture this on going situation and recovery.  Thanks for sharing.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Tobias Gallery of John Tobias

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/19/17 at 2:33 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Lon, the lighting is fascinating, with that fine, warm glow in the middle.  The blurry foreground edge is so sharp that it has me thinking you took this out the car window....  Yes, an astounding tragedy with an amazing number of lives lost.  With strong SW winds for the last 4 days here in MT, we've got quite a bit of haze, that may also be smoke from the CA fires.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/19/17 at 3:16 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

This is a really nice pano considering the conditions.  I've seen my fair share of brush fires (some far too close), but I have never seen anything like what has been going on to the north.  Hopefully there will be a change in weather conditions soon.  This looks like the alkali ponds off of Benton Crossing Road (your second post appears to confirm this).  I have spent a lot of cold winter evenings shooting sunsets in this area.  Was this taken on Sunday morning?  If so I hiked up Convict Canyon early that morning and had similar smoky conditions.  The morning light on Laurel Mountain was brown and ugly, compared to the usual sunrises. 

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 10/19/17 at 3:22 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Lon, the larger image presents quite well in the pano format. Excellent work with the layered comp lending itself to the pano format.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/20/17 at 12:57 am EST    

Thanks for the additional comments!

@Mark:  " The blurry foreground edge is so sharp...."  Not sure if you'll see this reply, I may have to email you.  Got me perplexed on this one, blurry... is so sharp?  Are you talking about the pano and the foreground edge of the pond?  Or the second post with the road in the foreground?  Not sure your reference here.  the far shore of the lack is a little blurred - movement in the water from hundreds of ducks on the far end of the lake (they moved over there as a result of my presence, I think.)  Anyay, if you happen to see this, could you clarify?  And no, not from a car window. On a tripod over the top of a barbed wire fence.

@Rudi, Yes, this was Sunday morning and yes, Benton Crossing Road - You know your Eastern Sierra Turf.  My first time out here. I can see how beautiful this could be in the winter with the Sierra covered in snow.  I must have just missed you.  I headed up to Convict for a peek about 11am after admiring the range for a bit just off 395.  Interesting too as I spend sunrise Saturday morning further east right on the Owen's river.  the sky was surprisingly clear that morning - enough so that it was a pretty boring sunrise. ;-)  Thanks for commenting Rudi, sorry I missed ya!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership