Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Wagner Falls in Rain
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 10/16/17 at 7:41 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 10/28/17 at 09:29 am EST

This is a picture I made at Wagner Falls while in Upper MI. There was light rain on this morning and it seemed the perfect time to head over to this falls. I made a few shots of a little off stream here but before leaving shot this one of the falls. I have shot similar comps of this falls before but each time is always different. A wonderful morning with some photographer friends makes these places even more special for me. Larger version included.
Canon 5DMK4, 16-35 F/4 L lens at 16mm, ISO 400, F/ 20 at 1.3 seconds. CPL.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/16/17 at 9:44 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Superb work here, Nick. I love these kind of days as the rain brings out the lushness and colors of a scene so beautifully. This is a gorgeous waterfall and I particularly like the way water fans out along the bottom edge of the frame. Great SS choice BTW.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Danny Laureys on 10/16/17 at 10:47 pm EST    
Registered on 01/05/08, 590 Posts, 1261 Comments

Very nice, I really like the color in this. Excellent.

Danny Laureys
Beaverton,Oregon

"Once destroyed, nature's beauty cannot be repurchased at any price." Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Danny Laureys Gallery of Danny Laureys

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/17/17 at 01:17 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Exceptional Nick.  Love the journey the eye takes thru this image.  The little ledge that bisects the frame from bottom right to mid-frame and then bends back to the main attraction of the falls.  I also like the the smattering of gold leaves throughout.  Beautiful work my friend.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Neukirch on 10/17/17 at 07:08 am EST    
Registered on 07/09/12, 207 Posts, 1476 Comments

An awesome image Nick, love the dark and damp mood of the forest you captured. I visited Isle Royale NP and the Keweenaw in late June, my first trip up to that area. Absolutely beautiful country.devil

John Neukirch
Eastern Nebraska
http://www.johnneukirch.com
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
John Burroughs

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Neukirch Gallery of John Neukirch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 10/17/17 at 09:46 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

The feeling of this image just kept me looking at it. The stream pulls you into scene and there is so much in it that my eyes just kept searching to see what was there. Another great shot.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 10/17/17 at 10:37 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

This is great, Nick. I love the zig-zag path the river takes around the ledge, and that tree on the left stops my eye from going right out of the frame following the ledge, and guides it back to the falls. This is really carefully composed.

If I'm being very picky, I might clone out the few white spots of sky up top, but they really don't distract that much.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/17/17 at 11:09 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Nick, a very fine waterfall scene. I do recall at least one other take you had of this waterfall, but I never tire of this beautiful site. Obviously, the seasons change and make for completely different looks also. The scattering of the colorful tree debris enhances not only the look of the scene, but a strong feeling of the TOD and TOY also.
I like the amount of FG area on this one too. Seems to provide a nicer look then we're accustom to with a narrow water flow area. Provides a wider & stronger base to the bottom of the view......laugh

Not a big eye draw, but I can see the thoughts Craig has on the two bright tree openings in the UBG location. Easy clone or CA for another look see there.....enlightened

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/17/17 at 12:12 pm EST    

Thank you guys! Always nice getting your thoughts and suggestions. Yes, I could tone down the bright spots at the top of the frame I guess. Thanks!
John N. I haven't made it out to Isle Royale NP yet but hope to do so one of these days. Did you leave from Houghton or Copper Harbor and how long did it take? I thought about flying out to there also in a smaller plane but you can only take 40 total pounds with you if I understand it right. Yes, the Keweenau  is a great area. Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/17/17 at 1:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Absolutely gorgeous! No nits here, just a beauty. Wow!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Neukirch on 10/17/17 at 6:53 pm EST    
Registered on 07/09/12, 207 Posts, 1476 Comments

Nick,

We sailed out of Copper Harbor, about a 3 1/2 hour ferry ride. We stayed 3 nights at Rock Harbor lodge. Truly was a magical experience, sleeping with the windows open the Lake Superior waves lapping against the rocks beneath our deck. I really enjoyed the escape to the island, no roads, no cars, no phones and few people.

John Neukirch
Eastern Nebraska
http://www.johnneukirch.com
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
John Burroughs

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Neukirch Gallery of John Neukirch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/17/17 at 7:18 pm EST    

Thanks Harley! I'm really glad you liked this. I sure enjoyed shooting here again. Nick
John, Thanks for the info...Just why I want to get out there. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 10/17/17 at 8:27 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is a beauty, Nick. Wonderful composition with great depth and rich, vibrant colors. Your composition and processing look spot-on to me - no suggestions.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/17/17 at 8:29 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

This is really nice with some great colors and well composed.  The brighter area above the water gives it some extra depth that I like.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 10/17/17 at 8:37 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Really beautiful, intimate scene.  Excellent shutter speed selection.  A gentle rain does wonders for saturation.  Most of our waterfalls are dry in NH cheeky.  The right green grasses seem a little oversaturated to me, but very minor.  Very balanced comp.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 10/18/17 at 02:35 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

An amazing capture of the scene to me, Nick. The interplay of all these elements makes for a consistent composition to my eye. You really invite me to scout this region.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/18/17 at 1:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Nick,

You have a wonderful knack of capturing the essence of the places you visit and photograph. This is no exception. Expertly composed and the color/sat right up my alley; just pushed enough while still retaining reality.  Love this.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/18/17 at 2:09 pm EST    

Dave, Rudy, Harry, Peter and Lon, Many thanks guys! Very glad you liked this. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/18/17 at 6:35 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is beautiful, Nick!  I like the way that you have filled the foreground with the outlet stream which also makes a great leading line to the main waterfall.  The early autumn foliage completes the view and I like the sprinkling of color in the leaves.  Great work as ususal!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 10/19/17 at 5:46 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

The deep saturated colors really set this image apart. Love how the lower section leads me in to the upper falls with a nice topping of glow in the far BG.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 10/21/17 at 10:11 pm EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

Really nice composition. All the elements flow together beautifully.  

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/22/17 at 06:00 am EST    

Brian, Michael and Daniel, Thanks so much guys! Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 10/22/17 at 09:46 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Nice comp and white balance looks good judging from the water.  I like how the water line fans out and goes to the LRC.  For picking nits, there is a brighter white spot at the top ot the rock with the green grass in the lower right that could be de-brightened.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 10/23/17 at 09:54 am EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

nice work! well done!
I would do waterfalls shooting on a rainy day. It makes the colors saturated.

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/23/17 at 7:55 pm EST    

Thanks Doug and Bo. Much appreciated!
Doug, Yes, I think I will do that. Had not noticed that it might be a bit bright at that spot. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership