Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Boneyard
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 10/12/17 at 2:13 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thank you for the comments and suggestions on my previous image.  They are so helpful in improving our images.

I'm hoping I didn't post this one before, although I posted a couple similar of the same subject from 2015.  This burnt and weathered Sage is set off by the colorful autumn color of the Mono Wild Buckwheat (I think.)  Previous images were taken just after sundown, but this one here the sun is still present, although very low on the horizon.  So the impression is slightly different than my previous image, which can be seen here for reference.  This one a bit more traditional than "interpretive," I think.

Another motivational pre-cursor to my visit to the East side starting tomorrow. Can't wait!

Your comments and feedback always welcome.

Lon

Oh, Nikon D700, Nikon 28-300, single frame, no stack

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 10/12/17 at 4:15 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is stunning, Lon. The ground cover is just exceptional in both color and textures and sets off those burnt sages beautifully. I think your processing looks great. A minor nit but I wish the branch tip of the sage to the left was not merged with the edge of the frame. Maybe some creative cloning would work.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/12/17 at 4:18 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Outstanding, Lon. I really like this one. Clicking back on the previous or other image does not give me the same impact, but this one is super. The dramatic contrasts between the ground brush and the dead snags works very well. I'm thinking the light here is what sets this one up so well for me. Nice work......laugh

btw: good luck on the trip tomorrow as well.....enlightened

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/12/17 at 6:45 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Lon, This is just super cool looking. Great contrast with the snags and that wonderful ground cover, and I like the color in this very much. I think I see this as a fine looking metal print. A small thing but I agree with Dave about the branches reaching into the left edge. Does not actually bother me but might be a bit better with some careful cloning. I like it!!
Hope your trip goes great.
Nick Bristol
lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 10/12/17 at 7:37 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Lon,

I like the diagonal presentation of the 2 largest of the sage plants. It sets the scene and leads the eye back into the image.  No nits and well done........................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 10/12/17 at 11:12 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Lon, I love this picture. Great composition and color. While I like the picture as is I would like to see the trees contrasting a little bit more with the surrounding, possibly lighten? Keep up the good work! Ry     

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/13/17 at 01:19 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Beautiful, Lon.  I think this is my favorite of the bones images.   It's such a surreal situation,  well worth spending prime shooting light.  The grass color just blows my mind.  I love it. Hope you have a great shoot on the East side. 

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/13/17 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I went back and checked your other version and as much as I enjoyed that one I like this one even more, Lon. The reds of the brush contrast beautifully with the burnt sage and I particularly like the diagonal flow of the two FG sage. I hope your trip goes well and you bring back plenty of images for us to enjoy. My only suggestion is the already mentioned merge of the limb on the left edge. Great work on this.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/13/17 at 10:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I have always liked your images of this subject. These trees have so much character. This time I had a moment where the large tree morphed into a spider - and I'm not arachnophobic. Aside from the trees themselves, color seems to be important here. You've chosen something between red and cinnamon and I think that works well here. Pure red is just too in your face strong. Actually cinnamon may just be red with a lower tone value?

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/15/17 at 10:04 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful Lon. I definitely like this one more.  I like the cloning suggestion and I would clone out the black bit at the top of and to the left of the main skeleton. Sweet stuff. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 10/15/17 at 4:56 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I just like everything about this image. The composition, the light, the colors, it all works. I can see it really big on a wall some where. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/17/17 at 11:04 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.  I'm pleasantly surprised this one is preferred by many over the other ones. And that's great!  I was unsure about it a little bit because of the light. 

I agree about the branches merging on the left edge.  I'll definitely fix that if I ever decide to print.

Igor re: Color.  Yeah, this is a case where one could make the color any hue they wanted.  I think this is more saturated than what it is in real life.  Interesting I just drove through the area this weekend and while there was still some of the ground cover, it wasn't as prolific. It's certainly reddish, but I think flatter.  Hue is tough for me to recall though when processing.

thanks everyone!  I'm already working on my images from this trip!  Have lots to share!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/17/17 at 12:16 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

This is really nice and some great colors.  I knew pretty much where this was from the thumbnail and drove by here the other day. 

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership