Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Miners Beach + rp
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 10/10/17 at 11:11 am EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 10/11/17 at 09:58 am EST

While in Upper Michigan we spent one afternoon at Miners Beach which is the beginning of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. This area is just a few miles east of Munising and an area I usually try and get to when up there. It seemed like a great afternoon to shoot along the lake with the cloud conditions we had that afternoon. It was pretty fun coming up with some different comps and this is one I ended up liking quite well. In the lower right the waves coming in are meeting the ones receding and it made for some interesting motion patterns. Larger version included and thanks for looking.
Canon 5DMK4, 16-35 F4 L @16mm, ISO 50, 1/5 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 10/10/17 at 3:01 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Deeeelicious Nick.  Love the wave action and the superior detail within it.  This image has a lot to offer with the dramatic dark clouds juxtaposed against the bluer "friendlier" sky & clouds.  The rather angry looking water brings a lot of drama as well.  My only suggestion might be to try to open up the dark land mass in the upper left.  That really catches my eye and takes me away from an otherwise gorgeous scene.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/10/17 at 3:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 10/10/17 at 3:40 pm EST

A wonderful composition. I think a lot of the power and energy here comes from the composition, a massive powerful wedge of a rock jutting forward and an opposite wedge of turbulent water surging inward. It's like two symbolic forces clashing against one another. The rest of the supporting cast work well with the theme - heavy clouds, rough seas and wonderful dark trees on the right to reinforce the wildness of this place. I really appreciate the colors of the ocean. Mine always come out blue but the greenish tint sets it off nicely from the sky. The only nit I have is the orangeish tint of the tip of the water at the very bottom. Don't know if that was introduced during processing or just the result of water rushing over a colored surface. Excellent work.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/10/17 at 3:52 pm EST    

Thanks Bill and Igor.
Igor, I guess that is just the thin layer of water over the orange tint of the rock below. I could could see a little less saturation there however. I'll work on that. cool Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/10/17 at 5:37 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Very nice, Nick.  You did a wonderful job capturing the dynamic energy here.  I love how all the elements come together.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/10/17 at 10:18 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is exquisite, Nick. I love the raw power of the wave action along with the stormy looking sky as they compliment each other perfectly. I can understand why you liked this one so well. I hope you have more.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/10/17 at 11:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Nick,

This is outstanding.  I think a beautifully crafted seascape.  Every element contributing.  Insert Igor's comments here:

The comp is wonderful, I really like the opposing triangles of the two land masses, with the angry sea in between.  the perfect sky and clouds opposing a small sense of grace and flow of the incoming wave at the bottom.  (would agree with Igor about the color of the tip, but very minor.)  Also, I think Bill C. meant upper right.. but would agree you might downplay the darkness and contrast of that spit of land/trees (minor of course.)

Can't offer much else.  I could have simply said, Outstanding seascape and be done with it. ;-)

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/11/17 at 09:56 am EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 10/11/17 at 10:00 am EST

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. In this version I lightened the shadows a bit in the trees and I tried to get a little less saturation in the foreground tip of water where the color of the rocks was showing through by reducing the red and yellow there a little. Not sure if it will show much here but it does look a little better on my monitor. Appreciate the help! Click the image for a larger view. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 10/11/17 at 3:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Excellent Lake S. coastline image, Nick. I like the combination of wave action and clouds. Great mood here. You lightened the trees in the URC nicely, and that was my only very minor suggestion.  

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 10/11/17 at 6:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I really like the dynamics of this, Nick. It definitely has a stormy mood. The shutter speed was perfect. I like the reds, greens a blues, too. Nicely done.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 10/11/17 at 7:45 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

I think that the angling wave in the foreground is essential to this image.  The first image seems to have a bit more contrast, which I prefer in hte water and rock.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 10/11/17 at 11:31 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is a superb image, Nick. Great mix of colors, moody and a very dynamic, well-balanced composition. I went back and forth between the two versions and I think I slightly prefer the repost. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 10/12/17 at 11:15 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

A stunning image for me, Nick, with a fascinating interplay of the diverse elements.

The second version is indeed an improvement in my opinion, especially regarding the tonal balance.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/12/17 at 7:01 pm EST    

Scott, Preston, Doug, Dave and Peter. Thank you guys! Means so much to me. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 10/15/17 at 5:00 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I never tire of seeing your images. I appreciate the variety of different place you photograph and compositions you shot in the area of the country you live in. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/18/17 at 6:40 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is beautiful, Nick!  I like the composition - especially the incoming tide in the lower right.  The diffused light accentuates all of the nice detail in the scene.  Great work!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/18/17 at 7:08 pm EST    

Richard and Brian, Thank You So Much! Those words mean a lot to me and make me want to keep shooting. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 10/20/17 at 12:25 pm EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

great picture. the rocks and waves make perfect leading lines.

I will like it more if the clouds are brighter.

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership