Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Mellifluous + (color)
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 10/10/17 at 12:31 am EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Post last edited by gary phillips on 10/10/17 at 12:49 am EST

Central Utah on an incredible morning of fog and soft light.  I was torn between the B/W and color versions of this image...so I'll post the color version too.  I'd like to know your preferences between the two. The crops are slightly different and were processed independently.  I was struck by the pillow soft hills topped with the moving fog.  Still brings a smile to my face.

iso 100, 280mm. f/8, 1/20

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Better large. (click color version for larger image)

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/10/17 at 12:33 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Comment last edited by gary phillips on 10/10/17 at 12:47 am EST

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/10/17 at 01:06 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

You're making this really hard Gary.  What are you doing to us... having these recurring epic dreams... did you really see all these, or were you just dreaming?  angel  Seriously, you saying this was an incredible morning is an understatement... yet  you've had more than a few of these outings.

And then you toss out an impossible choice....  The b&w stands out to me because of the thin veil of rolling fog in the middle of the frame.  I like that the fog has a slight elevated brightness - really bringing attention.  I dunno, a Perfect, b&w landscape painting.

The color version is making it tough.  I love the subtle colors are simply exquisite.  The veil of fog is still present, but no longer the primary element.  The color version also allows the top of the frame and the never-ending landscape to create nice depth here. For some reason a little hint of the Palouse is coming through in the color version.

Both outstanding in my book.  Can't get enough of these.  Wish Utah was closer.... 

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 10/10/17 at 02:12 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

Gary ...you are making this very difficult for the viewer, as much as yourself. Speechless

Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/10/17 at 05:22 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

No preferences here, Gary. I think that I would like to see the two versions side by side on a wall to fully appreciate the stunning shapes and colors. Incredible conditions you captured. Now I have to look something like this in the Alps. cool

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/10/17 at 11:19 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, What a great shot. An amazing view and processed beautifully. Both versions are wonderful so I'm just going to enjoy both. Excellent work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 10/10/17 at 11:43 am EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is superb, Gary. As with others, difficult to choose between the color and B&W rendering. The BW has a clean and classic look but the subtle, delicate tones in the color version are beautiful. Composition and processing look good. I think I slightly prefer the B&W crop.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 10/10/17 at 12:54 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Both of these are well composed and stunning, Gary.  The B/W stopped me in my tracks from the index page, and I really enjoy it, but the color one held my attention longer and, at least in my mind, made the fog more clearly fog and not potentially just lighter grass and soil. I'm not sure whether that makes sense.  I almost always agree totally with Lon, but the fog seemed a more significant element in the color version because of its lack of color.

The good thing is that you don't have to choose.  You have two great images here. 
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/10/17 at 1:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The choice is easy for me: color. The b&w is a marvelous image but the colored one is really unique. It's really a b&w with hints of color in the right places. It's both b&w and color. A really interesting image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 10/10/17 at 2:54 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I like this a lot, Gary.  I enjoy both, and you did a very nice job on the B&W conversion, but I prefer the color because of it's wonderful muted earth tone colors.  Having said that, I believe your processing on the B&W is better than the processing on the color, ie, the FG rivelet gullies are sharper/clearer in the B&W than the color version.  Like I say, both are beautiful, but those muted colors just blow me away.  Great work!

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 10/10/17 at 8:21 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Most certainlt the B&W for me Gary.  A classic Gary Phillips B&W with a lot of drama of the fog and excellent tonal range.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/10/17 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I am always amazed with your B&W work, Gary. Everything is superbly done in both versions. I like the range of tones in the B&W along with the muted earth tones in the color version. They are both winners in my book although I slightly prefer the B&W because it has your signature classic look.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 10/11/17 at 08:29 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Really hard to choose, they are both fantastic.  I like the way the textures are brought out a little more in the BW, but the muted colors are fun to look at as well.  I keep going back and forth.  What a great time you had!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/11/17 at 11:30 am EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

As usual, the B&W is great with all of the lines and textures, but I really like the color.  It has such a dreamy ethereal feel with the mist and soft tones.  Beautiful work!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 10/11/17 at 3:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very nice, Gary. Very unusual conditions and a moody desert image. I prefer the B&W, FWIW.   

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 10/11/17 at 6:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Tough call, Gary. I love both. I do give my nod to the B&W. It has a dynamism that I really like. The color version has a more gentle mood. Heck, I don't know--both are stunning!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/13/17 at 3:30 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/13/17 at 3:32 pm EST

Sweeeeet one(s), Gary. You've got the B&W conversions down pat, so, the color version here gives yet another dimension to look at of the scene. Normally, being a V-50 only guy, I always prefer color images. But you've got these conversions looking so nice it's a really a tough call for me. Obviously, the composition works well for both......nice indeed.

btw: just made a "U-turn" up there in Utah this week. Long story short the room I booked did not work out for me at all. So missed out on taking any images....cheeky
I did spend one good night there with an old coworker buddy who lives in Koosharem....laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/14/17 at 7:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is an absolute beauty!!! Both look outstanding, but I am going with the color version. I find it entices the subtleties from the amazing landscape. Can't go wrong with either. Love them both. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 10/24/17 at 2:03 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I missed this when posted Gary, which is too bad. This is over-the-top good. I prefer the BW, but not by much.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership