Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

White Mountain Sunset
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 10/08/17 at 9:50 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Nikon D800
Nikon 80-200 @ 120mm
f 16 @ 1/4 sec.
ISO 200
MLU
cable release & tripod
White Mountains, NH

This view is from the top of Sugar Hill looking out toward the White Mountains. Mike and I did not expect much of a sunset with the heavy cloud cover, but we put ourselves in position in the event something did happen. We were glad we did as some nice warm color fired up in the clouds and gave us this wonderful scene.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/08/17 at 9:55 pm EST    

I decided to post a cropped version which I think works better as it simplifies the scene a little bit. What do you think?

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/08/17 at 11:59 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Beautiful sunset, Ed,  I do like the cropped version a little better.  The colors and processing look right on.  I love your decision to not overdo this one, it's perfect.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/09/17 at 04:31 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Very nice view, Ed. The colors in the sky are just amazing. Maybe it is a little bit strong but I would crop the trees in the foreground, this would help to create a more peaceful and simple image IMO. 

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 10/09/17 at 12:43 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Love the colors! Best pictures are the ones that are unexpected. I'd suggest trying putting something in the lh ot rh foreground to add perspective next time. Keep up the good work!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/09/17 at 4:54 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, This is really beautiful. That sky is absolutely wonderful and I love the colors. Very nice processing on this by the way.
Glad you decided to stay around for this in case something happened, because it sure did!! I think I like the original wider version a little better. That sky is so nice that the more the better for me. cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 10/09/17 at 6:40 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Beautiful scene, and the lighting is gorgeous, Ed.  I think maybe I like the cropped version best too.  Both are really good though.

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/09/17 at 10:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ed,

What a glorious sky!  You guys were rewarded for your patience!  Very beautiful landscape.  I too was thinking of a crop and I prefer your alternate post.  I was wondering about cropping the foreground trees/ridge, but I think that cuts too deep in to the mountains and some balance might be lost.  I do think there you've included enough of the foreground trees to create a solid anchor in the frame.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 10/10/17 at 11:30 am EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Killer sunset with beautiful range of colors. Processing looks spot-on to me. I went back and forth on the crop and think I prefer the first. I see some debate on cropping out the bottom ridge of trees but personally I think it adds needed depth to the image.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/10/17 at 9:56 pm EST    

Thanks for your thoughts everyone; they are always appreciated.
Mattia: When originally composing this I had thought about cropping the FG trees, but I liked the additional layer this added and I thought it provided an anchor to the scene. Thanks for your idea though. It would be boring it everyone thought the same way. cool

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 10/12/17 at 11:26 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Great shot, Ed. love those pastel colorss in the awesome clouds and the nice gloww on the mountains. Nice layering to the scene also, with the foreground trees adding depth.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/18/17 at 6:47 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I saw this before I left to head out to the Blue Ridge Parkway.  The light here is extraordinary!  I really like the color palette in this image as well as the alternating cool / warm / cool layers.  Great work!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership