Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Teton Gold - RePost
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 10/07/17 at 7:51 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 10/08/17 at 12:33 pm EST

I experienced some great lighting during a recent visit to the Tetons just prior to the 1st snows of the season. This was the kind of sunset where the light reflects the sky to the ground, messing with the color balance.  I rendered it as close as I could to what I experienced, a surreal glow as dusk.  For some reason, I think I was the only photographer here, though I'm pretty sure there were over 50 or so about a 1/4 mile away, jockeying for position at Schwabacker Landing.  I returned here a couple of times during promising lighting for the tranquility and still waters.

Nikon D810, 16-35.  Single exposure, processed x 2 to preserve the sky's far right highlights.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/07/17 at 8:31 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I do not know about the other photographers but you sure came away with the gold, Harry. The lighting is spectacular as are the crepuscular rays along with the reflections in the water. Everything works beautifully in this scene from the front to the back. Great drama in the sky BTW.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 10/07/17 at 9:56 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is magnificent, Harry. Exceptional light and fine composition with lots of depth. You were fortunate to have conditions still enough to capture the foreground grasses so sharply. Processing looks great and I find the colors very believable. Hard to give any suggestions. Only nit might be to burn down the one bright reflection in the lower left. For some reason it seems to grab my eye. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 10/07/17 at 10:36 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Well this works for me..
Spectacular light but the comp and view is not the usual and the processing is very nice.
I think the foreground grasses could be toned down is my only suggestion.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/07/17 at 10:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Oh My!  This just might be approaching Epic!  The entire scene is awesome, but I particularly am impressed with the clarity of the water and reflections.  The clouds are awesome and the light rays top this off.

If I had one small suggestion to solidify an epic label.... I'd clone out the fuzzy top of the grass stalk lower edge left of center.  Looks like the only thing in the frame that caught a little breeze...  Other than that, this is simply gorgeous.

Kudos as well to your OP publications!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/07/17 at 11:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is a really fine image. The light is perfect and the colors have been processed in a very natural way yet still get your attention. The grasses are working really well for you as foreground subject matter. There is an issue here in that the sun is setting behind the mountains yet the fg grasses are sunlit from the opposite side. I don't know how much people care about this anomaly. If you darken the pods on the grass you lose an important attribute of the fg. If you don't, it looks fake to the discerning viewer. You could burn them in a bit and see. It's really an incredible image as is.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/07/17 at 11:42 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Truly epic, Harry.  Glad you found some solitude from the other togs,  Love the comp and you handled the light perfectly.  I agree with toning down the fore grasses.  I don't think their brightness adds much to the image.  Beautiful and congrats on the OP stuff.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 10/08/17 at 04:44 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Gorgeous Harry
The lighting is of course exceptional but I am particularly impressed by yor organisation of an otherwise busy composition.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 10/08/17 at 07:33 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

This is one of the most dramatic scenes of one of my favorite places on earth. I could spend a lot of words talking about everything I like about this image. Just beautiful. I was here in last April and had to hike down to Schwabakers from the highway. But I had the whole place to myself. No one else there until I was getting ready to leave and another couple showed up. An unusual experience for sure.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 10/08/17 at 07:37 am EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

What a wonderful photograph! Superb in every way

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 10/08/17 at 07:50 am EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 10/08/17 at 09:07 am EST

Igor - The appearance of the FG grasses were lit from behind might have been due to the reflected light from above and behind me in the way of the brightly colored clouds. Anything that had a yellowish tone to begin with, like the grass heads or the midground willow and aspen had a strong glow. That's what made the lighting so surreal.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/08/17 at 08:57 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Great light conditions, Harry. I also like the composition and the reflection. Perhaps a little less of saturation? But it's just a matter of taste. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 10/08/17 at 09:12 am EST    

Thanks Lon and Gary - i think the issue has been lost in mail, haven't seen the issue yet.
Ian - I did spend a bit of time looking for comps with the most reflection but keeping the grass heads out of the reflection. Had to get a little wet to minimize space between reflection and grasses and maintain a more intimate / prominant  feel with the grasses.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 10/08/17 at 12:38 pm EST    

Click image to Enlarge

I used some of the suggestions when processing the vertical version of the same shot. Primarily, I reduced the reds in the FG area which compared to the original seemed to affect the yellowed grasses.  Also reduce the saturation in that area.  What I like about the vertical is that the Grand Teton seems to be getting hit with some nice warm light that hadn't hit it in the horizontal  shot.  Again, one exposure, processed x 2 to hold the highlights in the left sky.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/08/17 at 1:26 pm EST    

This is also an exquisite image. It's a hard choice as to which I prefer. In the horizontal the reflections play a more important part and in the vertical it's the foreground grass. Since I love those reflections I would go with your original post. Thanks for the repost. It made me better aware of how good those reflections are in the scene.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 10/08/17 at 2:37 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments
Comment last edited by Shirley Freeman on 10/08/17 at 2:40 pm EST

Wow, Harry, this is incredible!  Sweet light, a beautiful scene, and then to get the reflections too, one can't hardly ask for more than that.  Well done.

P.S.  I hadn't seen the vertical until I posted my comment.  I believe I prefer the original best. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/08/17 at 5:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful!! I much prefer the horizontal. I would tone down the bright white reflections in the foreground, but pretty dang minor to my eye. Excellent work. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/08/17 at 5:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Love the vertical too.

RE: my comment on the "fuzzy top of grass stalk."  Now I see what it is in reality - part of the cloud reflection! duh.  Not so much a bother now that I figured that part out.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/09/17 at 01:12 am EST    

I just wanted to add that I think the original processing brought better results. The reds you brought down has made the reflections less arresting. The original also appears to have just a tad less exposure giving richer colors. The vertical probably comes closer to reality but as an image I think the original is stronger.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 10/09/17 at 10:25 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

What a beauty, Harry.  Of the two, I greater prefer the vertical because the FG grasses become such an important part of the image but they don't overwhelm the Beauty of the mountains.  Great shots!

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 10/09/17 at 9:25 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Harry, you were treated to a nice sunset scene near Schwabacher.  The rays and clouds are really nice. My suggestive thought is that the foreground grass may be a little too orange and bright.  I just returned from spending last week in the Tetons.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 10/10/17 at 01:15 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Harry, both versions are lovely. However, I prefer the horizontal one because the composition looks more natural (i.e. unforced) and provides greater depth. The overall scene is grand and I am also enjoying the light show. One of the most stunning renditions of this location.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 10/10/17 at 06:19 am EST    

Doug - Did you get snow or rain? It was either or with short breaks of sun. Not much foliage turning except for near the river, hope you found some good stuff, lots of wildlife.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 10/10/17 at 09:56 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Harry, I arrived last Monday afternoon.  There were 2-4 inches of snow on the valley floor, more towards the north end of the park.  Wednesday dawned with a clear view of fully white mountains.  It snowed a little more that afternoon.  The aspens near Oxbow Bend were almost peak, while the one stand at the downriver pullout was peak.  Heard some wolves howling last Saturday morning along the river near Schwabacher.  There was no sunset like yours during last week.  My preference is for your horizontal image.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 10/12/17 at 6:22 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Harry, this is fantastic! I prefer the horizontal, but the vertical is very nice as well. That sky is epic, but it’s all tied together so well in the composition. It’s funny how you don’t have to very far from the iconic views to find some solitude. It’s good to know that it can still be found in that area. Beautiful photograph!

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership