Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Lodgepole Dressing
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 10/01/17 at 3:22 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Here is yet another take on the same Lodgepole Preston I photography at the St. Mary's trailhead up on Sonora Pass.  Inside, outside, walking around this tattered and torn old beauty are multitudes of photo possibilities. That is, if you're interested in this kinda stuff, like I am. ;-)

I'm not sure of the exact scale, but it's a wider view than normal for a tree bark/trunk image. I'd say this is maybe a good 3 ft in height? Perhaps less.

As always, your comments critiques and suggestions are always welcome.  Thanks for looking and leaving a comment!

Lon

oh yeah, this is a 6-image focus stack.  This view was above my head, so shooting upwards, and considering the curved surface of the trunk, I captured the 6 frames to combine for sharpness throughout.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/01/17 at 11:28 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Another fine study in color, shape, and texture, Lon.  That "in your face" knot that is the focal point has me thinking of a crazed chipmunk staring at me or some of Brian Froud's creatures.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/02/17 at 09:19 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Lon, this is as good as it gets with regard to the DOF on these beasts. Almost totally impossible with single takes, unless the curvature is not extreme or the POF is just on the middle surface. The number in the stack provides another feature looking at the smaller image here and that is really noticing the curvature and still having most all in very near perfect focus. Overall image color, sat, contrast are dead on.......very nice IMO......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/02/17 at 09:35 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Great job with the focus stacking technique, Lon. It is not easy due to the difficulties you highlighted. I do find the detail very interesting even though I am not totally sure about the result. I do not know if it is due to the light or the composition but still I see some potential not fully exploited. Maybe a macro image with bigger details would have been a better solution. Later I will take a look again and hopefully give you more precise feedbacks. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/02/17 at 12:35 pm EST    

Thanks for the comments so far!

@Mattia, thank you as well.  I totally agree with you about the composition.  While it may be ok as presented, I agree and think the subject deserves a much tighter and intimate crop.  this is probably the widest view of a tree trunk I've captured.  I may crop, but the real fix is a better comp in the field to begin with!  Thanks!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/02/17 at 1:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real nice detail portrait. I have two thoughts. First, I would boost the vibrance a big chunk. It looks a little flat to my eye. Second, I would try a crop off the top to just above the  little knot to the left and above the big knot. I think the presentation is trying to showcase too much and makes for a wandering eye. I don't think this is circular file material. I like it, as you seem to suggest in your second post here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/02/17 at 10:55 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

Nice colors and texture.  Not too sure about the centered placement of the knot and I do agree with Harley, but overall I like this.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 10/03/17 at 7:28 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

You are able to take mundane things and make interesting images out of them. I like the texture, color and the large knot at the top gives a spot for the eye to focus on. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/03/17 at 7:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

It took me a while to figure out how I feel about this image but now I'm ready. On the surface it's a very realistic image with very natural colors. What's different about it from most bark images is it lacks drama of swirlies and sharp angles. It has a calm, balanced sense to it. Something you could meditate to. But as you study it more you notice all those smooth bumps and nodules and you start to think how it would be to run your hands across that smooth surface and feel them. So in a way it's a sensuous image in the pure sense of the word. I wouldn't crop anything at this point. It's a question of what you were going for when you made this image. Cropping would be a search for a different meaning to it. And that's fine if you're tired of your original intent.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/04/17 at 12:22 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I really like this Lon.  I made my living and most of my retirement from my passion of lodgepole.  Pretty much a life long association you might say.  I built rustic furniture, refined the process so that it was Fine Lodgepole Furniture, and developed a company that specialized in rustic pool tables.  This is a really refined view that I have felt with my hands thousands of times.  Very, very nice. Thank you.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/04/17 at 5:22 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Love this!! This is wonderful work, Lon. The colors, textures and detail through are just fantastic. Nice work with the focus stacking on this one. cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 10/05/17 at 2:09 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Sweet shot, Lon.  The textures are so nice, probably because of the focus stacking, and the silver and brown coloration look so smooth.  One of the better shots of tree trunks.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy VanSwearingen on 10/05/17 at 4:14 pm EST    
Registered on 05/23/09, 800 Posts, 2042 Comments

Love the interplay of light, curves and texture.  Very nice!

Lucy VanSwearingen
Richmond, TX

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy VanSwearingen Gallery of Lucy VanSwearingen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 10/07/17 at 07:25 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Lon: The larger version MUST be viewed. Wonderful textures and color palette and edge to edge sharpness. Well seen and superbly composed and captured. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/07/17 at 4:27 pm EST    

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions!  I agree this could be bumped in color and also that there are actually any number of crops that show more of the detail.  I've played with several and there are certainly alternates worth exploring.

Igor and Gary - thanks for bringing up this other dimension and your descriptions of actually feeling the bark.  I'm glad you mention, because I find myself doing that on many occasions - especially for a tree like this where the barks is smooth and full of little undulations and curves.  On the flip side, I can confirm doing this on the charred image produces exactly what you think it might! 

Thanks again!  I wasn't sure how this one would go over.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership