Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Trees Near Mono Lake
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Landscape gallery on 09/29/17 at 11:27 pm EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Post last edited by Eva McDermott on 09/30/17 at 1:18 pm EST

Here is another view of the trees on a hillside by Mono Lake.

Thanks for all your comments on my previous posts.

Canon 5dM4
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L at 200mm
ISO 800 1/250sec‌ f/8

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/30/17 at 01:36 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is good, Eva. One of your best recent images in my opinion. The composition is strong and clear. And the use of color is creative. The color is also used to tell a story: color = life, absence of color = death. I would emphasize the point by making the bare trees totally black. The large version seems to do that. This is an image with emotional appeal, which is a plus in my book.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 09/30/17 at 08:12 am EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments
Comment last edited by Ian Wolfenden on 09/30/17 at 08:13 am EST

I love the tonality of this image, Eva, and it's beautifully composed with a strong fg and a kind of pathway leading the eye into the distance.  Most of all I like the mood - difficult to pin down but all the more intriguing because of that.

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/30/17 at 12:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I really like this, Eva. The contrast between the green and the barren is quite striking and the composition has a real nice flow to it. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 09/30/17 at 1:44 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This works quite well, Eva.  The large version really brings this to life, or as Igor noted, to death.  This image really tells the story of the fires that decimate these juniper environments.  The hit and miss of the destruction and the long recovery is very evident.  Nice work here, Eva.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 09/30/17 at 1:48 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Eva, the contrast between the green trees in the foreground and the burnt/dead trees behind is very striking.  This makes a fine semi-abstract view as well as speaking to the vagaries of how fires burn.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/01/17 at 2:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Eva,

I think I like this one a bit better than your previous from this location (although you didn't ask..)  This tells a great story of perseverence - or luck, but I really like the inclusion of the green of the junipers. They were spared.  Great job filling the frame, including keep some of the barren slope at the bottom.  An intimate view that says so much.

The only suggestion I have would be to burn down the bottom area a bit, but that's minor.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/02/17 at 11:26 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

Some nice colors here and I like how the junipers line the bottom of the frame.  I would consider bringing down the brighter highlights.  Looking forward to my first fall trip up the east side this weekend.  One of my favorite places for fall colors is the area around Park Lake, southwest of Mono and 395.  

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership