Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Ardvreck Tranquility
Photo posted by Ian Cameron in the Man & Nature gallery on 09/28/17 at 2:46 pm EST
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 10/07/17 at 10:18 am EST

Loch Assynt, Assynt, Scotland

One of the most difficult things to capture in an image is something I refer to as "motive", the meaning behind an image.  Ostensibly this is a low contrast shot of a castle on a loch in calm conditions on a bleak overcast day.  But try and see past that try to put yourself there on a cool October morning shortly after the sunrise that never happened.  For me the mood is tangible, the cool thick air makes me shiver and I am immediately transferred back to the rock that I was sitting on staring at the utter stillness of a loch that I could just see below the surface of.  For me it is a little piece of sheer magic.  I doubt it stirs others in quite the same way.

Please view LARGE..

Pentax 67II, 55-100 zoom, f/22 at 2 Seconds, Fuji Velvia 50

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/30/17 at 09:32 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Your image is ethereal and very peaceful Ian.  The partially submerged rocks in the foreground are a wonderful lead in the the castle.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ben Samuel on 09/30/17 at 12:18 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 1 Posts, 2 Comments

Hi Ian, there is something to this image that keeps me coming back to stare into it. I think it is the tranquility of the water that leads up to the rather powerful scene beyond. I really like it a lot. That being said, whilst the foreground rocks clearly do provide some leading into the frame, for me personally they distract a little from that magic.

Ben

All Photos and Comments by Ben Samuel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 09/30/17 at 1:34 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Ian, there is an intriguing tension in your composition to me, that immediately draws my attention. Matching tonality between the sky and the water works perfectly in my opinion. Finally the hint of colors in the midground just make the difference for me.

Maybe reducing the contrast in the foreground elements would be an option, but this is only a minor matter I think and certainly not easy to decide from the web presentation.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 09/30/17 at 2:03 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

I just Stepped into your tranquility... I love this peaceful scene. I am sure it does not stir me like it does you because I was not there. Much of the experience of taking the image in my option is part of the awesome reward. I can however evoke another feeling from your beautiful scene and of course mine is personal just like yours. If I may, the only thing I would like to see more of is the top of the mountain ridge which would certainly give this image more dof a slight burning in of the edge as the fog and mountain top are the same value.  I like it just the way it is but was wondering how that might change the distance view....just a thought.  What a great memory. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Schwartz on 10/03/17 at 04:44 am EST    
Registered on 09/29/16, 23 Posts, 97 Comments

Ian,
A beautiful, serene and, yes, chilly image. It just pulls me in. It's the kind of image you can look at over and over. 
I agree with Peter about the foreground rocks to maybe balance it a tiny bit more, but really minor.

Dan Schwartz
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”       ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Schwartz Gallery of Dan Schwartz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/04/17 at 4:40 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Beautiful work, Ian! Love the quiet mood.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/05/17 at 7:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Love this tranquil scene with all the negative space and muted colors. I like the fg rocks, however, having just the topmost rock by itself would have been an interesting composition. very nice image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership