Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Thinly Veiled
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 09/27/17 at 10:26 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Post last edited by gary phillips on 09/27/17 at 10:30 pm EST

I've been traveling around Utah and Idaho for a couple of weeks on a family trip.  I managed to squeeze in a little photography here and there.  This image was taken on one of the most amazing mornings I've ever witnessed.  One of those mornings that exceeds everything you could hope for and you hope never ends.

iso 100, 70-200mm@70mm, f/11, 1/40s

Better large/

your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 09/28/17 at 08:44 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Wow, Gary. I everything about this image. The mood, the drawings and the b&w as well. Even though I am curious to see the image in colors. Lately, I have been very attracted by these water patterns and I am looking for more information to find them close to where I live both as macro and micro phenomena. Great job!

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/28/17 at 12:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

First, I must say the large version is a must-see. The tonal range and detail come across very nicely. I love the curves of the watercourses and the layers of cloud. The textures and detail are wonderful., and the drama of a fine morning is quite evident.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/28/17 at 12:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

It is a beauty, Gary! I love the ethereal mood created by the fog. Great lines, textures and undulations. I love it. 

I know what you mean about those special moments. I had a foggy morning in Yosemite where wave after wave of fog drifted through the meadows as the light slowly changed. I was there for a couple of hours, had one other tog show up for about 5 minutes, but otherwise, it was just me. Awesome morning!!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 09/28/17 at 5:35 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Gary, the misty clouds and the highly textured landscape make for a very mysterious image.  How nice that you could find a high vantage point for this view.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 09/28/17 at 8:57 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

This is really nice and works great as B&W.  The fog adds a lot of drama to this that I like, as well as the overall lack of scale.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 09/28/17 at 9:37 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Since I assume this is not a drone photo, you found a great perspective...
It looks like the beginning of time.
Congrats.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/29/17 at 10:50 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

This is a wonderful and even mysterious image Gary.  I think perhaps it's less dramatic that some of your other images, but actually I shouldn't even be comparing!  This one is unique and stands beautifully on it's own.  I like the word "veiled" in your title, it seems quite appropriate.

As Dan mentions, the perspective here helps make this one unique.  Also, lack of scale helps add to the mystery of this.  I love the tones and perfect contrast.  As usual, masterfully processed.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 09/29/17 at 12:01 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments
Comment last edited by Craig Moreau on 09/29/17 at 12:01 pm EST

Gary, this is fantastic! I love the sense of mystery created by the layers of fog, and also the lack of a sense of scale. Your b&w processing is excellent, as always. No critique here.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/29/17 at 6:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is a bit of a departure from what you usually shoot. It's a bit more abstract. The tonal range and composition reminds me of some of Salgado's images. I'm not sure how this makes me feel. The fog doesn't have the usually mystery and awe about it. It's so abstract that there isn't a sense of fog and the emotions that it normally evokes. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 09/29/17 at 6:28 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Your feelings come out loud and clear in this moody picture. I like how the lines lead you in and the morning mist sets the mood. Great photo, thank you for sharing your experience is now with me.

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 09/29/17 at 11:33 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Outstanding, Gary. This is full of mystery. Glad to hear you could take in some photo work during the family trip too. This is one image you'd not want to get away if time permitted as it did. Very nice work as always......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/30/17 at 12:01 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Truly amazing Gary.  Ethereal with excellent tonal range.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership